• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia- trainee train drivers/ trainee depot drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris11256

Member
Joined
27 Dec 2012
Messages
741
Good luck Webby! I found a good trick with the Bourdon test is to memorise the shapes that the dots come in. That way I didn't actually need to count them, just remember the shapes that the group of 4 dots came in.


I'm still practicing for tests a week on Monday. My main concern is the ATAVT and question 6(Give an example of task undertaken that's similar to that of a train driver)
on the MMI.

Given I work in a semi bog standard office job, my mind keep drawing a blank. Got some pretty good examples for the other questions though. :)
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

332 > 444

Member
Joined
22 Feb 2007
Messages
532
Location
London
Any of you kind people who are on training or passed out, can you say if the DMI will relaxed or a proper grilling? Also would it be based on what we wrote in our applications/CV?
 

Gekko5154

Member
Joined
12 Dec 2014
Messages
89
@chris11256 it's imperative you have a brief understanding of the key skills and attributes required of a train driver in order to be successful in the MMI (all 6 questions). You must remeber that the MMI answers do not have to be work related and can come from your social life so it's irrelevant whether you work in a small office or not.
So the question is "Give an example of a task undertaken that's similar to that of a train driver?).
Well we understand that one key attribute of a train driver is being able to maintain concentration and vigilance for long periods of time. Knowing this it's up to you to create a scenario which demonstrates you using these skills. For example maybe every weekend you drive up to Manchester to visit your mother. The journey time is long and requires you to be able to maintain concentration for a long period of time. Also you need to be very attentive to the task at hand and also have a good understanding of different traffic signs and signals. Another key skill is being able to operate hand and foot controls. While driving these are necessary skills needed. Before the whole journey you could mention that you make sure you've had adequate rest the night before and make sure you've have a good breakfast which is imperative when doing a task for a long period of time as you don't want to cause an accident or lose focus.
Like I said earlier just have a brief understanding of key skills and attributes required of a train driver and you'll be able to answer every questions easily! Good luck my friend and hope you pass
 

chris11256

Member
Joined
27 Dec 2012
Messages
741
Many thanks Gekko. For that particular question I'm using a twice monthly road trip that I did last summer.
 

Webby

Member
Joined
6 Sep 2016
Messages
137
West side for me, also does anyone know ir stage 1 has numerical or mechanical reasoning tests. Thanks
 

martin2345uk

Established Member
Joined
21 Sep 2011
Messages
2,408
Location
Essex
I'm in the same boat as you. Were there any questions you think you may have stumbled on? I'm worried about the answer I gave to the driver handover question.



I just had to go with my gut feeling as there's no point trying to second guess what they might be looking for. But yeah several of the questions really had me scratching my head. Though I'm sure there was someone upthread who also had a score of 11 who got invited to the assessment centre..?
 

RyanE1991

Member
Joined
11 Apr 2016
Messages
25
Location
Colchester
I just had to go with my gut feeling as there's no point trying to second guess what they might be looking for. But yeah several of the questions really had me scratching my head. Though I'm sure there was someone upthread who also had a score of 11 who got invited to the assessment centre..?

That was me, I scored 11 on the application, received invite to SJT the following day, received invite to assessment centre the day after that.
 
Last edited:

Webby

Member
Joined
6 Sep 2016
Messages
137
Been doing some group bourdon practice,does anyone know the grid size on the actual tests?
 

joystick

Member
Joined
15 Nov 2016
Messages
114
Just print off the sheets and mark the paper with pen, the actual test is slightly easier but also with the pressure of being for real.
 

chris11256

Member
Joined
27 Dec 2012
Messages
741
I'm booked in for 9:15am to 4:30pm so I would assume I'm doing 1 and 2 on the same day? and then DMI and medical following that if successful?

It would seem slightly odd for stage 1 tests to take all day. Mine were done in an afternoon. Unless they take time after each test to mark it.
 

atochopefull

Member
Joined
19 Oct 2015
Messages
211
I just had to go with my gut feeling as there's no point trying to second guess what they might be looking for. But yeah several of the questions really had me scratching my head. Though I'm sure there was someone upthread who also had a score of 11 who got invited to the assessment centre..?

Are you able to see what your score was for the SJT??
I know it is possible to view the score for the application.
 

martin2345uk

Established Member
Joined
21 Sep 2011
Messages
2,408
Location
Essex
Are you able to see what your score was for the SJT??
I know it is possible to view the score for the application.

I thought the score actually referred to the SJT... I now realise that it only related to the application form! D'oh...
 

RyanE1991

Member
Joined
11 Apr 2016
Messages
25
Location
Colchester
I thought the score actually referred to the SJT... I now realise that it only related to the application form! D'oh...

Correct :lol:;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Are you able to see what your score was for the SJT??
I know it is possible to view the score for the application.

As far as I'm aware there is no way of checking your SJT score
 

Webby

Member
Joined
6 Sep 2016
Messages
137
The practises im doing are 25×25 is the real test smaller or larger? Thanks
 

joystick

Member
Joined
15 Nov 2016
Messages
114
The real test is on one large sheet think it is A1, what you are practising on is fine, that's all I used.
 

Webby

Member
Joined
6 Sep 2016
Messages
137
Can only get about 8or9 lines down with good accuracy. Lots of practice!
 

RyanE1991

Member
Joined
11 Apr 2016
Messages
25
Location
Colchester
Can only get about 8or9 lines down with good accuracy. Lots of practice!
Me too, I've decided to order the £25 practice cd rom from how2become, if it helps me pass the tests then it'll be the best £25 I've ever spent, if not, then on eBay it goes I guess.
 

chris11256

Member
Joined
27 Dec 2012
Messages
741
Me too, I've decided to order the £25 practice cd rom from how2become, if it helps me pass the tests then it'll be the best £25 I've ever spent, if not, then on eBay it goes I guess.

The best practice software is the one linked at the top of this forum. It's fantastic.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just a quick question with the ATAVT test. How tolerant are they of mistakes? I'm assuming they're not after 100% correct for every photo?
 

Gekko5154

Member
Joined
12 Dec 2014
Messages
89
For the ATAVT test they are not expecting candidates to score 100% although if you can then that's great. Accuracy is key so you want to score as high as possible.

I would recommend fellow users who are due to take the computerised tests to visit YouTube and type in "Schuhfried Vienna test". It explains exactly what you will be doing and gives the same examples you will be given on the day. Also for the 2hand control test you can see the exact track you will need to navigate a ball around.
 

chris11256

Member
Joined
27 Dec 2012
Messages
741
For the ATAVT test they are not expecting candidates to score 100% although if you can then that's great. Accuracy is key so you want to score as high as possible.

I would recommend fellow users who are due to take the computerised tests to visit YouTube and type in "Schuhfried Vienna test". It explains exactly what you will be doing and gives the same examples you will be given on the day. Also for the 2hand control test you can see the exact track you will need to navigate a ball around.

Thank you. I think this(ATAVT) is the test I'm most worried about. I wouldn't say I'm confident about the other two, just less nervous.
 
Last edited:

CaseyJones

Member
Joined
29 Feb 2016
Messages
49
Still heard nothing back which is strange because their initial responses were quick, day after. I suppose they could now be sifting through the majority of applicants and these things take time. Although maybe I should think about embracing the inevitable.
 

Andym1976

Member
Joined
23 Jan 2017
Messages
46
I am also now concerned, I did the online test last Wednesday. Hopefully I will hear soon
 

Railwayking

New Member
Joined
23 Jan 2017
Messages
1
More than 11!!
That's completely wrong mine was 11 and got given a online assessment for the talent pool filters out the decent from the crappy
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
They say closing day is the 24th and state 14 days after closing day they look to be in touch if your successful did you do the online assessment?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
If anyone got any questions, I've done both of those roles!
So I done application scored 11 got invited to online test completed does that mean I stand a chance I figured I do as they would t of wasted time with the assessment ?? Thank
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top