• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A4 60027 Merlin's Boiler question

Status
Not open for further replies.

neildimmer

Established Member
Joined
4 Jan 2009
Messages
1,545
Hi all

I have added a photo taken by Tony Gillett at Preston in July 1966 of the boiler from A4 60027 Merlin in the consist of a freight service, does anyone have any idea what this was about, something to do with 60007 Sir Nigel Gresley's overhaul at Crewe in 1966 perhaps?
http://www.steamlocomotives.photos.gb.net/p56772720.html

Also added is a B/W night photo of 60004 William Whitelaw taken at Carlisle Station on the 25th September 1961 at 21:15 pm
http://www.steamlocomotives.photos.gb.net/p56772719.html

Neil
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Phoenix

Established Member
Joined
11 Mar 2008
Messages
2,019
Location
birmingham
I'm guessing that the SNG answer is more likely than not cause I imagine they wouldn't go to the trouble of moving a boiler via rail freight unless they had some good purpose to do so.
Were there an A3's still in service at this point as I remeber a few of them got A4 boilers as part of a Refurb and is the reason why Flying Scotsman needs a boiler overhaul as she is on her A4 boiler.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top