• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A "West Wales Day Ranger" outing - Sat 11th August 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

D107

Member
Joined
9 May 2006
Messages
154
Location
South Wales
Chum and I decided to take a day rover somewhere and elected for a West Wales Day Ranger that starts from Carmarthen. We both joined at Bridgend, paying for an anytime day return to cover the BGN to CMN sector.

Tickets were bought the previous day as the ticket office at Bridgend opens at 0700 and our train was 0702 - a bit too close for comfort.

Arrived 0645, over to the buffet for tea and onto the 0702 to Fishguard Harbour. This train runs via Swansea where it reverses and heads up Cockett bank towards Gowerton and Carmarthen. Train was formed of 153353 and 143604. We elected to ride in the 153 as it was a first for me (and it has 4-way seating bays with tables)

Margam Yard was passed and a number of 66's noted. Into Swansea on time, a quick photo and chat to another photographer on the platform. Interestingly, he commented on the large amount of freight booked to run on the following Sunday in South Wales.

Away from Swansea, up the bank and all shacks to Carmarthen. The train divides at Carmarthen and we move onto the 143.

Put away the anytime return and out comes the ranger with the Guard being bemused at our plans for the day! Nice run down to Fishguard as I haven't been there by train for years. Token exchange at Clarbeston road for the single line section down through Treffgarne Gorge and a gentle run down the bank into Goodwick. Interestingly we stop at the new station of Fishguard & Goodwick to find quite a few folk getting on for the westbound trip ono the harbour?? As this only takes a few minutes (and there was no ferry in) it must be to keep the stats up! Fishguard & Goodwick is a nice little halt with a rebuilt wooden building and quite busy car park.

These folk get off at the harbour and walk back to Goodwick - clearly a Saturday morning constitutional. Gentle wander around the large harbour station (owned by Stena and not ATW). Buffet was shut but there was a working coffee machine with a nice cuppa.

Back on the train, reminder to the guard that we wanted to get off at Clarbeston road and retrace our steps. Stop again at F&G for some more folk to get on (including some we saw earlier but who didn't want to run down to the harbour and back). Up the bank and past Letterston Jct (for the branch into Trecwn), next thing we knew we were slowing for the approach controlled signal at Clarbeston Road and surrender the token to the signalman. First bail out of the day at Clarby Rd, wave to the Guard and walk up the ramp. Over the bridge and onto the westbound platform.

A 15 minute spell at a tranquil station until the peace is disturbed by the 175 for Milford Haven. Train formed by 175108 and off to Haverforwest and Milford Haven. Train was fairly busy and after 30 minutes or so we enter Milford Haven. My first experience of rail travel into MH was on New Years Eve 1978 when I moved there to start work the next day. On that occasion it was thick snow, steam heated Mk1's and a class 33! In those days the station was semi derelict Great Western and boasted a daily sleeping car to London Paddington. Today it is a bus shelter and a Tesco.

No time for Tesco today, a quick photo stop and head back to Carmarthen. 45 minute break here, up to the bakery for rolls and await the SO HST to Pembroke Dock. HST arrives on time, into First Class and upgrade to Weekend First!

Train crew were really friendly, happy to chat and great announcements from the Guard with details of the token exchange at Whitland, what coaches would be on the platforms and which sides to alight. About 120 folk got off at Tenby (the largest stop on the branch) and we wait to cross the up service.

Heading west, quite a few cameras out lineside to record the sight of an HST in some really small branch line stations. A stop-start journey as we stop at some of the ungated crossings on the branch. Into Pembroke Dock on time, some more photos and off for a wander. Like Anthony263, we marvel at the existence of a Woolies! The town was unnaturally quiet for a Saturday and a lot of places are now shut.

Our wander took us down towards Hobbs Point to see the ferry then back to the nicely restored station.

We left 4 down due to a slight niggle with the front power car but soon into our stride was we stop at all stations to Tenby. Here we disembark for tea and wave farewell to the HST.

A walk around Tenby and a Crab Salad later and we wait for the busy 1655 to Carmarthen. The station at Tenby is still nice to look at despite the signal box no longer being there. Train arrived formed by 150256 and 153353 again. Quite a crowd of trippers pile on and it is a squeeze. Into Carmarthen on time and either a 45 minute wait or bail and take an earlier service. 175008 rolls in and we elect to take that back home via Swansea.

Out comes the anytime return and nice run back to Swansea with a nice sunset over Carmarthen Bay. Into Swansea, final photos and onwards to Bridgend arriving around 1930.

Great day out, excelent weather and good value for money. A quick tot up on mileage and I work it out as 306 miles.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
Glad you enjoyed the day, I've always found the ATW crews to be great, from the at seat catering to the drivers, always polite and happy to ahve a quick word with you.

I was in Pembroke Dock last a couple of years, and I got quite depressed at the numbe rof closed shops. Could it have something to do with the massive Tesco adjacent to the town centre?

My first visit to milford was back in 1982, when the GWR station buildings had been demolished and the sleeper had just finished (or was about to!). There were still lines disappearing off to the east and towards the town, but these have long gone now.

Thanks for sharing your day out!
 

D107

Member
Joined
9 May 2006
Messages
154
Location
South Wales
When I worked in Milford, there was still a fleet of dock shunters (Hudswells?) that were used to shunt fish traffic off the dock and into the sidings where the Tescos is now.There was another line just behind the station that went off towards the docks but I never saw that used.

I remember the sleeper very well! Always amazed at its presence to be honest but nice to see.

On Saturday we did take a look at the old line that ran beyond the station at Pembroke Dock and across the road. Gateposts are still there with some trace of track beneath the roadway. The route of that is obliterated by Asda now I think.

The town looks very sad and forlorn now but I think you are right, with two rival supermarket giants to compete with it's hard to survive.
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
When I worked in Milford, there was still a fleet of dock shunters (Hudswells?) that were used to shunt fish traffic off the dock and into the sidings where the Tescos is now.There was another line just behind the station that went off towards the docks but I never saw that used.

I remember the sleeper very well! Always amazed at its presence to be honest but nice to see.

On Saturday we did take a look at the old line that ran beyond the station at Pembroke Dock and across the road. Gateposts are still there with some trace of track beneath the roadway. The route of that is obliterated by Asda now I think.

The town looks very sad and forlorn now but I think you are right, with two rival supermarket giants to compete with it's hard to survive.

I think the line behind the station at Milford was pretty much out of use by 1982. Though I have seen a pic of a diesel shunter using the line under the road bridge in the late 70's (Modern Branch Line Album IIRC).

I often feel quite sad at the way the rail infrastructure has disappeared and been replaced by car parks and supermarkets, but that's 'progress' I suppose!

My first visit to Fishguard Harbour was in 1973, with my grandparents who took me for a run out from Swansea because I loved trains! I think it was just after the rationalisation. I can't remember much about it except for my grandfather moaning there was no bar and nowhere to buy any food!

Little did I realise when we came back and had to change at Llanelli out of the Paddington express, that in 30 years time I would be around the corner from Llanelli station!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top