Chrius56000
Member
. . .Ever since second–generation traction and multiple–unit rolling stock (beginning with the prototype class 140 DMU) was introduced in 1981, A.W.S. equipment has used electronic sounders that gives a distinctive loud "ping" as an exponentially–decaying 750Hz note for "clear" (I saw it described as "750 Hz chime–decaying" in one of those horrendously expensive scientific papers once!), however, in the past two years I've certainly been on some modern (possibly Siemens–built) EMU stock that makes a most peculiar noise for "clear" – sometimes it sounds like "wheep!" and at other times I've heard a noise so ghastly for "clear" that I've begun to wonder if somebody's rigged up a tawny owl to the A.W.S. equipment for "clear" and the sounder's operating voltage electrocutes it!
. . .Can anyone with any technical knowledge tell me anything about the ghastly modern A.W.S. noises you get on some very recent M.U. stock?
Chris Williams
. . .Can anyone with any technical knowledge tell me anything about the ghastly modern A.W.S. noises you get on some very recent M.U. stock?
Chris Williams
Last edited: