Out of interest is that article available online anywhere?I have an article from The Independent newspaper dated 2001 headlined 'What happens if Amazon fails?' It seemed a very real possibility at that time. Mind you, anything could be said to be possible from here-on-in too.
At that point in time access to the internet was pretty much limited to people who had access to a computer. I had access at work with a fairly decent connection speed, but not that many people I knew had PCs at home. I first started using the internet at university a few years earlier so I was reasonably familiar with the web when it did start gaining traction.
Mobile internet was still in its infancy via WAP - if I recall correctly, GPRS started becoming more widely available the following year - and phones were still quite primitive. It was probably the advent of the smartphone that kicked it off properly; people had a device with a decent screen size in their pockets.
I haven't looked, but I very much doubt it.Out of interest is that article available online anywhere?
I don't recall Amazon being huge at that point, possibly the biggest online retailer but a long way off the market dominance they have now, and the bulk of retail was still store based at the time. Based on that my initial response to the question in the headline would be 'Not a lot'.