In " Memories of Bank Hall, Birkenhead and Beyond" by Mal Pratt, I came across this passage.
"On August 20th 1968 booking on was at 21.15 then light diesels to Ellesmere Port using Type 2's 7627 & 7554 working to Healey Mills via Rochdale, then home passenger booking off at 10.15. I finally trained on Type 2's during July 1969. My first job in charge was light diesel to Stanlow, then to Crewe with D1544. At Crewe South shed 5002 was collected to work a train to Ellesmere Port, then light engine to Birkenhead. This job was single manned.
With so many drivers to be trained on the diesels they booked a class 47 for a special daily job. It was light engine to Grange Lane carriage sidings opposite the shed where eight coaches were attached, then right away Shrewsbury, run round here and take a short break, then back to Birkenhead. I got the job quite a few times in winter seeing as I had trained on steam generators, as had happened in my time at Bletchley."
Does anyone know what this Birkenhead - Shrewsbury working was?
Come on, it was only 45 years ago!
Edit Sorry, I didn't read the text properly - it says that it was to train drivers!
"On August 20th 1968 booking on was at 21.15 then light diesels to Ellesmere Port using Type 2's 7627 & 7554 working to Healey Mills via Rochdale, then home passenger booking off at 10.15. I finally trained on Type 2's during July 1969. My first job in charge was light diesel to Stanlow, then to Crewe with D1544. At Crewe South shed 5002 was collected to work a train to Ellesmere Port, then light engine to Birkenhead. This job was single manned.
With so many drivers to be trained on the diesels they booked a class 47 for a special daily job. It was light engine to Grange Lane carriage sidings opposite the shed where eight coaches were attached, then right away Shrewsbury, run round here and take a short break, then back to Birkenhead. I got the job quite a few times in winter seeing as I had trained on steam generators, as had happened in my time at Bletchley."
Does anyone know what this Birkenhead - Shrewsbury working was?
Come on, it was only 45 years ago!
Edit Sorry, I didn't read the text properly - it says that it was to train drivers!
Last edited: