• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A Spot of Bother

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
5,468
Location
Cambridge
An interesting, and fairly balanced item tonight on BBC Look North tonight about trainspotting and photography, and accusations of unfair treatment by the BTP:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7713708.stm

Apparently the story will be featured in more detail on The Politics Show this Sunday, although I'm guessing this could just be the Yorkshire version of the show (could be available on BBC iplayer or on Sky though for those who don't live in Yorkshire!).
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Guinness

Established Member
Joined
13 Jun 2005
Messages
3,736
Nice to see some media coverage about this. Hopefully something will be clarified over this stupid Terror Laws.
 

First class

Established Member
Joined
9 Aug 2008
Messages
2,731
If you have a platform ticket every 60mins, and there are no signs on display specifically prohibiting photography then you are permitted to.

For a byelaw to be enforced, it must be displayed otherwise no action can be taken against you.

My advice to you who BTP stop would be to give a name & address and to reply 'no comment' to any question asked.

Nevertheless, I have worked on platforms with a TOC during/after terrorist attacks, and I always had my own guidelines for what I felt was acceptable (at my one of the top 20 most used stations).

1. Ask non-rail employees, or those not on duty to remove any Hi-viz clothing.
2. Would not permit photography of security equipment bar the barriers.
3. Would not permit cameras on a tri-pod.
4. Would not permit flash photography, our drivers find it irritating.
5. Would refuse platform ticket sales/ 'spotting' during 'peak' periods as per the byelaws.
6. Would not permit more than 5 'spotters' on a platform.
7. Any spotter who failed to comply would be asked politely to refrain. If it continued then would remove from station as an 'authorised person' and ask Rail House to file a TOC usage prevention order [UPO].
8. Any platform ticket exceeding 65-70mins would be treated as invalid and if a Revenue Protection Officer was available, would request a £20 penalty fare.
 

class 313

Established Member
Joined
10 Dec 2005
Messages
6,475
Location
St Albans
BBC don't want to use enthusiast much? Just throwing us all into one group of 'trainspotters' :roll:
 

Nym

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2007
Messages
9,794
Location
Somewhere, not in London
I'd like to see the BTP find where I go to spot to try and throw pepole off there ;) Was hard enough for me to find that station entrance let alone anyone from the BTP, GMP, or PCSOs of either ;)
 

Benn88

Member
Joined
29 Oct 2008
Messages
21
Don't bother going to Reading station, it's prolific there... 3 times I got bods coming up to me and pestering me last Sunday.
 

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2005
Messages
1,975
Personally I only bother enthusiasts if they are in non public areas, using flash or being a general nuisance. Other than that I find it can be helpful to have extra eyes about the station.
 

markusgl1

Member
Joined
18 Oct 2008
Messages
18
have had no problems at temple meads, but martyn and i did arrive by train and apart from one person asking us not use flash we were left alone, in the past the BTP have asked if they could look at my photos to see if i had caught something that had happened.
 
Last edited:

devon_metro

Established Member
Joined
11 Oct 2005
Messages
7,715
Location
London
have had no problems at temple meads, but martyn and i need arrive by train and apart from one person asking us not use flash we were left alone, in the past the BTP have asked if they could look at my photos to see if i had caught something that had happened.

Most "west" stations are fairly laid back. Not paranoid that everybody is a terrorist thank god <(
 

Jim

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2005
Messages
3,490
Location
Wick
Most "west" stations are fairly laid back. Not paranoid that everybody is a terrorist thank god <(

I agree with you actually. Infact, the only station is the Western Region where I have had problems - was Swindon. Little bugger of a security guard decided to wave his hands around whilst 43034 was making take off. But even then we settled it with a 'I'll look the other way this time'!
 

kyrano

Member
Joined
13 Nov 2008
Messages
112
Don't bother going to Reading station, it's prolific there... 3 times I got bods coming up to me and pestering me last Sunday.

also lime street i was taking a pic of 57307 , its ashame the BTP can't follow immigrants robbing telephone boxes like i have seen them on lime street, and man picc.
 

43034 The Black Horse

Established Member
Joined
2 Dec 2007
Messages
1,270
I agree with you actually. Infact, the only station is the Western Region where I have had problems - was Swindon. Little bugger of a security guard decided to wave his hands around whilst 43034 was making take off. But even then we settled it with a 'I'll look the other way this time'!

Not trying to turn this into a how lovely GW is but I agree

Not once have I had problems on a GW Station. Most staff are accomodating.
 

markusgl1

Member
Joined
18 Oct 2008
Messages
18
Not trying to turn this into a how lovely GW is but I agree

Not once have I had problems on a GW Station. Most staff are accomodating.

a senior manager at GW told me that he sees people on the station taking photos etc as and extra pair of eyes "lets face it if something isn't right you guys will soon spot it"
 

Phoenix

Established Member
Joined
11 Mar 2008
Messages
2,019
Location
birmingham
When It comes to London termini I tend to not spend way to long and only venture onto certain platforms of which I have tickets to travel from (accept kings-X) but to be honest from now on if no one can give me a decent reason to move then I wont because many of you have reasons for asking people to leave so I feel that if someone else can give me a decent reason to leave then I will otherwise Ill consider it as harassment.
 
Last edited:

90019

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2008
Messages
6,891
Location
Featherstone, West Yorkshire
The only issue I've had was when a few of us were told to move back a bit because we were past the trespassing sign whilst waiting for a railtour to leave (the one in my avatar).
Apart from that, I've never had any problems at all. I've only ever got photos at Waverley, and been beyond the trespassing signs on the platform many times (often without noticing) and nobody has any problems about it.
I find the staff at Waverley to be very friendly and I've never had a problem with them.
 

GB

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2008
Messages
6,561
Location
Somewhere
The only issue I've had was when a few of us were told to move back a bit because we were past the trespassing sign whilst waiting for a railtour to leave (the one in my avatar).
Apart from that, I've never had any problems at all. I've only ever got photos at Waverley, and been beyond the trespassing signs on the platform many times (often without noticing) and nobody has any problems about it.
I find the staff at Waverley to be very friendly and I've never had a problem with them.

Doesn't mean you should continue to do it though.
 

90019

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2008
Messages
6,891
Location
Featherstone, West Yorkshire
Doesn't mean you should continue to do it though.

Indeed not, but often it'll be because I'm not paying attention to them (I'm rather easily distracted from stuff like that).
Also that I always forget where they are and dont remember to look for them.

Mind you, the fact that no one cares at all, the others who I see doing it, and that, of the times i remember, I'm only just beyond them so's I can get a photo of the front of the train, added to the drivers actually being quite happy about it tells me that it obviously isn't a problem for anyone. They know what I'm doing and, hell, they've even come and spoken to me a couple of times (in a friendly way, not telling me to get back)

Yes, yes, I know I really shouldn't, but hey, if I get told not to, I'll stop (the guy who spoke to us with the railtour said it was only a problem because of the number of us)
 

First class

Established Member
Joined
9 Aug 2008
Messages
2,731
I personally feel the way forward is an improved platform ticket.

I would have an 'enthusiast ticket' which requires you to pay say £1, and allows you unlimited access to the station for that day. You would be required to give your name and the ticket would be non-transferable. You would also be given a small information booklet regarding the rules and regulations.

OR

You would receive a photocard and a 'enthusiast' ticket which is valid for a year or something which could allow you unlimited access to an operators stations or specific stations, and priced no more than £20/year. To purchase you would need to bring ID for the first time. That way BTP can't argue you're a terrorist, the system is more secure, and you have a 'gate-pass', as well as an information booklet saying what you can/can't do.
 

class 313

Established Member
Joined
10 Dec 2005
Messages
6,475
Location
St Albans
I personally feel the way forward is an improved platform ticket.

I would have an 'enthusiast ticket' which requires you to pay say £1, and allows you unlimited access to the station for that day. You would be required to give your name and the ticket would be non-transferable. You would also be given a small information booklet regarding the rules and regulations.

OR

You would receive a photocard and a 'enthusiast' ticket which is valid for a year or something which could allow you unlimited access to an operators stations or specific stations, and priced no more than £20/year. To purchase you would need to bring ID for the first time. That way BTP can't argue you're a terrorist, the system is more secure, and you have a 'gate-pass', as well as an information booklet saying what you can/can't do.

What's to stop a terrorist to buy such a ticket would probably be the argument against that.
 

GB

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2008
Messages
6,561
Location
Somewhere
What's to stop a terrorist to buy such a ticket would probably be the argument against that.

Whats to stop a terrosist buying any ticket?

Im sure in the passed there was a "platform ticket" you could buy that would allow you access to the station...have they stopped that these days then?

I do like the idea of a photo card for enthusiasts tho
 

Tom B

Established Member
Joined
27 Jul 2005
Messages
4,681
I find the staff at Waverley to be very friendly and I've never had a problem with them.

Aside from the ones who won't let you past the barriers to meet a friend on the platform, and then profess no knowledge of what a platform ticket is when you ask to buy one?
 

nath9425

Member
Joined
10 Nov 2006
Messages
759
Location
Milepost 84 Chiltern Mainline
What's to stop a terrorist to buy such a ticket would probably be the argument against that.

I have to agree here, I mean then you might have cases such as 'Black Man refused platform ticket' which would make the TOC look as if they have discriminated against someone ... which would cause a whole other debate as to wether the white man could be a terrorist!?

I mean Charles de menezes was looked up as one! - And look what happened to him. :shock: It's a scary world we live in today.
 

Mintona

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2006
Messages
3,592
Location
South West
Good God, ID cards to go and take a few photos of something we have managed to enjoy for years without? Overkill :roll:
 

martyn29

Member
Joined
4 Apr 2007
Messages
815
Location
Leicester
The new railyway magazine has a feature on Platform tickets because Nxec are putting barriers in most of their large stations and its causing outcries especially at York!
 

metrocammel

Verified Rep - Retro Railtours
Joined
11 Aug 2005
Messages
954
I remember those! 20p from an ancient little red machine, wasn't it?

Jeez, 20p for a platform ticket in the 1980s. Until 1989, normal platform tickets cost 6p, when they were increased to their current price of 10p! (No complaints of price hikes there! ;))
 

WillPS

Established Member
Joined
18 Nov 2008
Messages
2,431
Location
Nottingham
When they put barriers in at Sheffield, will I be able to buy a platform ticket to be able to wait with my girlfriend on the platform for her train home?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top