I always get these Indian and Nigerian scam phone calls and emails. But whenever i get them i always pick up the phone or phone them back or email them back and waste their time for as long as i can. It is quite fun messing around these scammers and wasting their time.
A lot of these scammers in India and Nigeria run multiple different scams targeting people in the, UK, Ireland, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc, so sometimes they get their scripts mixed up.
Last month i was speaking to an Indian HMRC scammer who was claimed to be a "Senior Tax Crime Investigation Officer" from the HMRC called "James Henry" with a very thick Indian accent and very poor English and grammar who told me that i was being prosecuted in the "Federal Courthouse" and that if i did not pay my unpaid taxes immediately they would send "Sheriff Deputies" to my house to arrest me! I have never heard of a "Federal Courthouse" or "Sheriff Deputies" here in the UK! He then wanted me to go to the shops and purchase ten Google Play gift cards of £100 each (so £1000 total) and read him the codes! I just pretended that i was going to the shops and ended up wasting a couple of hours of his time!
As stupid as these scams sound there are actually plenty of people that fall for them. I read so many stories in the news over the years of people who have fallen for such scams.