dk1
Veteran Member
Probably not. Always worth it for fun though.Doesn't work if it's a computer...
Probably not. Always worth it for fun though.Doesn't work if it's a computer...
If you don't have a whistle, scream like you're being murdered...Probably not. Always worth it for fun though.
Yes that might work too in a way.If you don't have a whistle, scream like you're being murdered...
Please don't. Despite the nature of the scams, the people actually on the phones are just trying to make a living. They don't deserve to be left with permanent hearing damage.Blast a whistle down the phone. Loud as you can![]()
I’m afraid if they are trying to scam money from the likes of pensioners I have very little sympathy.Please don't. Despite the nature of the scams, the people actually on the phones are just trying to make a living. They don't deserve to be left with permanent hearing damage.
Anyone working as part of a criminal organisation still has to bear the blame that they are involved with. For example, when they approach people claiming they are from BT/Amazon etc, they know damn well that they are not employed by those companies.Please don't. Despite the nature of the scams, the people actually on the phones are just trying to make a living. They don't deserve to be left with permanent hearing damage.
The people on the phones receive very little of the money - little more than a minimum wage job. The people running the scams are the ones who deserve the worst possible treatment.I’m afraid if they are trying to scam money from the likes of pensioners I have very little sympathy.
Well I’ve little or no sympathy either, but I suppose it’s possible some of them are gullible enough to believe they are working for a bona fide outsourcing company.Anyone working as part of a criminal organisation still has to bear the blame that they are involved with. For example, when they approach people claiming they are from BT/Amazon etc, they know damn well that they are not employed by those companies.
The growth of outsourcing means that the majority of people making calls on behalf of Company X don't work for Company X. As an example, the BPO I worked for made or recieved calls on behalf of Tesco, Pizza Hut, BT, Orange, Barclays Bank, Blizzard, Home Choice and a few others I have forgotten.For example, when they approach people claiming they are from BT/Amazon etc, they know damn well that they are not employed by those companies.
The knowledge of the wording of the scripts they work from coupled with attempting to brow-beat the people they call when matters take a turn that contravenes their scripts show a certain amount of intelligence is required by such call-centre operatives.Well I’ve little or no sympathy either, but I suppose it’s possible some of them are gullible enough to believe they are working for a bona fide outsourcing company.
I would hope that the telephone headsets they are using are incapable of producing a sound loud enough to cause such damage.Please don't. Despite the nature of the scams, the people actually on the phones are just trying to make a living. They don't deserve to be left with permanent hearing damage.
You would hope, but that is not necessarily the case. One of my colleagues in the call centre had to take several weeks off work when someone did this to her (the customer was in dispute with the client) - and that was in the UK where our equipment has to meet protection standards that probably don't exist in less-developed countries.I would hope that the telephone headsets they are using are incapable of producing a sound loud enough to cause such damage.
I would be very surprised if the 'real' Dennis' computer has been hacked. Rather, it will be someone who has yours and his addresses in their address book (so 'untraceable' to most normal users). That way, 'real' Dennis changes his password but that has no effect on the nefarious activities of others, and actual victim has no idea they are the victim (source of addresses). Someone more knowledgeable may be able to confirm.Here's one I got yesterday. I've never seen or heard of it before - it may have been discussed here, but I have only read a few posts on this thread.
Anyway, yesterday about noon, I got an email seemingly from an old contact - let's call him DennisSmith.
It was titled: Checking Availability - and had a short message asking me if I could do Dennis a favour.
I hadn't heard from Dennis for a year or more, but ok, it seemed plausible - so I replied I would if I could.
I then got some sob story about his nephew dying and he wanted to send a gift, but he couldn't do it right now online and he wondered if I could go into a Tesco store and buy two £50 gift vouchers. He would pay me back at the earliest opportunity.
I forget the details, but I was by now suspicious. It was then that I noticed that "Dennis" was using a gmail address - whereas before he had always used a yahoo address.
Exactly the same name otherwise.
At this point, I sent an email to the 'real' Dennis, saying that it looked like his email had been hacked and it was likely that his entire address book was being sent these kind of fake claims.
When I didn't get a reply after 30 minutes, I found his number and phoned 'real' Dennis to warn him. Alas, he didn't pick up, so I just left a message, explainin the problem.
I still haven't heard from the real Dennis, and fake Dennis is still asking if I can get round to Tesco to order the gift vouchers.
At 'only' £100, it's a plausible scam - I mean, it' snot like it's asking for or promising millions. I don't quite understand the full system, quite how the money gets to the scammer, but I'm not trying to find out. For those who fall for it, it's probably not worth trying to nail the scammer. I mean, how would anyone do it?
And I don't know if this is new scam or not. Just sending this on here as a warning.
Here's one I got yesterday. I've never seen or heard of it before - it may have been discussed here, but I have only read a few posts on this thread.
Anyway, yesterday about noon, I got an email seemingly from an old contact - let's call him DennisSmith.
It was titled: Checking Availability - and had a short message asking me if I could do Dennis a favour.
I hadn't heard from Dennis for a year or more, but ok, it seemed plausible - so I replied I would if I could.
I then got some sob story about his nephew dying and he wanted to send a gift, but he couldn't do it right now online and he wondered if I could go into a Tesco store and buy two £50 gift vouchers. He would pay me back at the earliest opportunity.
I forget the details, but I was by now suspicious. It was then that I noticed that "Dennis" was using a gmail address - whereas before he had always used a yahoo address.
Exactly the same name otherwise.
At this point, I sent an email to the 'real' Dennis, saying that it looked like his email had been hacked and it was likely that his entire address book was being sent these kind of fake claims.
When I didn't get a reply after 30 minutes, I found his number and phoned 'real' Dennis to warn him. Alas, he didn't pick up, so I just left a message, explainin the problem.
I still haven't heard from the real Dennis, and fake Dennis is still asking if I can get round to Tesco to order the gift vouchers.
At 'only' £100, it's a plausible scam - I mean, it' snot like it's asking for or promising millions. I don't quite understand the full system, quite how the money gets to the scammer, but I'm not trying to find out. For those who fall for it, it's probably not worth trying to nail the scammer. I mean, how would anyone do it?
And I don't know if this is new scam or not. Just sending this on here as a warning.
In December 2016 Yahoo admitted that they had their entire database hacked into three years earlier and just about every single name on their system was harvested; this could be related to that. Shortly after the hacking incident I started getting obvious spam mails in the names of a lot of people who I knew had Yahoo mail addresses.I forget the details, but I was by now suspicious. It was then that I noticed that "Dennis" was using a gmail address - whereas before he had always used a yahoo address.
Exactly the same name otherwise.
Yahoo has stated that, in August 2013, an unauthorised third party stole data associated with more than one billion user accounts. Yahoo believes that the breach is separate from the incident which impacted 500 million user accounts, disclosed in September this year. The stolen data reportedly included names, email addresses, telephone numbers, dates of birth, hashed passwords and in some cases, encrypted and unencrypted security questions and answers. There is no suggestion that payment card or bank account details were stolen.
You send the requested voucher to the scammer. The voucher is not marked in any way with the recipient's name and either the scammer spends it at Tesco, thus saving themselves £100, or asks Tesco for a refund..........and fake Dennis is still asking if I can get round to Tesco to order the gift vouchers.
At 'only' £100, it's a plausible scam - I mean, it' snot like it's asking for or promising millions. I don't quite understand the full system, quite how the money gets to the scammer, but I'm not trying to find out. For those who fall for it, it's probably not worth trying to nail the scammer. I mean, how would anyone do it?
And I don't know if this is new scam or not. Just sending this on here as a warning.
It's about 50/50 whether his email account has been compromised or not. The fact that it's a Gmail address rather than Yahoo! suggests not, however they would need to have access to his address book. They likely used a Gmail account so that he would continue to use his email, unaware of the scam unfolding.I would be very surprised if the 'real' Dennis' computer has been hacked. Rather, it will be someone who has yours and his addresses in their address book (so 'untraceable' to most normal users). That way, 'real' Dennis changes his password but that has no effect on the nefarious activities of others, and actual victim has no idea they are the victim (source of addresses). Someone more knowledgeable may be able to confirm.
Yes. But the point is, they must have got his email and into his address book to find my address before all this.It's about 50/50 whether his email account has been compromised or not. The fact that it's a Gmail address rather than Yahoo! suggests not, however they would need to have access to his address book. They likely used a Gmail account so that he would continue to use his email, unaware of the scam unfolding.
Thanks for this, and others who commented. I shall report it in the hope that it might do some good.In December 2016 Yahoo admitted that they had their entire database hacked into three years earlier and just about every single name on their system was harvested; this could be related to that. Shortly after the hacking incident I started getting obvious spam mails in the names of a lot of people who I knew had Yahoo mail addresses.
I still do... and every single one of them I forward to the official phishing reporting address. ( report@phishing.gov.uk )
![]()
Page removed
The contents were out of date or replaced, but you can still access the information via The National Archives website. Details how to do this below.www.ncsc.gov.uk
Not necessarily. Well crafted malware can send a message to everyone in the address book without needing persistent access to the account.Yes. But the point is, they must have got his email and into his address book to find my address before all this.
A request to send money to an acquaintance in distress (to pay hospital fees abroad, to get home ect) is a well known scam, by email or phone (latter voiced by a "helper").Here's one I got yesterday. I've never seen or heard of it before
You buy the gift vouchers and then email the numbers to the scammer, or read them out over the phone. Apparently this allows them to take the money. This seems to be the scammers' favourite method of receiving your money these days. Staff at many larger places selling gift cards are now instructed to warn buyers of large value gift cards about scamming, especially if the buyer seems a bit senile.he wondered if I could go into a Tesco store and buy two £50 gift vouchers .... I don't quite understand the full system, quite how the money gets to the scammer
This definitely doesn't look suspicious at all...
View attachment 119083
Of course, the fact that I don't have any Apple devices on which to use Apple Pay helps me reach this conclusion!
Very few, other than wasted time.I was, initially, worried if there may be consequences for simply answering the scam call...
Thanks for clarifyingVery few, other than wasted time.

I was, initially, worried if there may be consequences for simply answering the scam call
Theirs as well as yours. (The former is the upside, the latter the downside.)Very few, other than wasted time.