Agree about the extended warranty scam. My usual tactic if in a shop is to say “I’d like to buy one of these machines, and if you so much as mention an extended warranty I’m out the door...”. I’ve ended up doing it a couple of times.
I was once seriously invited at the till somewhere to pay about £9.00 to extend the warranty on a £15.00 steam iron. You’d probably get better odds down the bookies...
What is that in PC World by any chance? I used to work in one of their stores and hated selling people the extras at the till.
The trouble is not selling them leads to our KPIs and metrics dropping. We were under serious pressure to force customers to opt for the plans. Managers would insist that it was possible to make every other customer say yes to buying one, when in reality it is down to chance whether they want it or not. They would watch from a distance whilst whispering encouragement down our wireless ear pieces which didn’t help either. Don’t get me started on asking people whether they wanted to upgrade their phone. Trying to refer 5 people a day from the till to the carphone warehouse island was a pain. Anyone who wanted an upgrade would have gone straight there themselves.
At times if I saw someone with a trolley full of stuff I knew they would say no to the plans on, I would avoid serving them to keep my percentages up and keep my job.
The instant replacement is good value for when you want a free replacement - printers that cost less than their ink cartridges for example. I used ours when we wanted a new kettle for no reason. The care plans and extended warranties were a rip off though. They claim to cover everything when in reality they cover very little. If you pay £9 a month for long enough, you eventually will have paid enough to buy a new model outright anyway.
If you go in and make it clear from the start that you don’t intend to buy any extras, the colleague will have little incentive to encourage you to purchase anything as their performance report will take a hit as a result, unless they believe you’re easy to persuade or manipulate at check out time. If you want to buy something expensive they will definitely try their luck anyway.
Sorry to everyone who said yes and bought one of the shoddy plans from me back in the day. I hope you abused them to death or canceled the direct debit the next day.