That's a pretty good deal. A new iPhone would be closer to $800 from what I've seen.I was told today by a recorded voice from 'Amazon' that I had purchased a new iPhone for $399...
Had a call this afternoon saying my NI number had been compromised a male recorded message from 0747741497 i just hung up.
Also unlikely the DWP would call from a mobile.That appears to be one digit too few?
Also unlikely the DWP would call from a mobile.
While that is extremely unlikely (in the case of the DWP) I would be wary of dismissing calls from mobiles out of hand. I had a missed a call from a mobile, didn't recognise the number so dismissed it. Turned out it was a surgery staff member, working from home, to arrange my Covid jab.Also unlikely the DWP would call from a mobile.
While that is extremely unlikely (in the case of the DWP) I would be wary of dismissing calls from mobiles out of hand. I had a missed a call from a mobile, didn't recognise the number so dismissed it. Turned out it was a surgery staff member, working from home, to arrange my Covid jab.
Sure, that is why I began 'While that is extremely unlikely'. If it was the DWP they would have backed it up with a letter in any case. I suppose my point is that we may receive genuine (ie non scam or nuisance) calls from unknown sources if people are working from home.Agreed, but that is from a very localised site whereas the DWP is a national body.
01747 is Shaftesbury/ Gillingham, Dorset.Might have meant 01747741497 if it was a landline number but Googling that number doesn't produce any search results.
I think you are vastly underestimating the scale of this "industry", and the magnitude of the operations needed to combat it. By spoofing, scammers and shady telemarketeers are continually using new numbers, and some anti-scamming websites are having over a thousand new numbers added to their databases every day ( who-called.co.uk has been mentioned). I doubt RUKF would want to start running a database of scam numbers.If anybody receives a scam call, can you please write here which number it was from so that we can all block said number?
Also unlikely the DWP would call from a mobile.
Sure, that is why I began 'While that is extremely unlikely'. If it was the DWP they would have backed it up with a letter in any case. I suppose my point is that we may receive genuine (ie non scam or nuisance) calls from unknown sources if people are working from home.
I think you are vastly underestimating the scale of this "industry", and the magnitude of the operations needed to combat it. By spoofing, scammers and shady telemarketeers are continually using new numbers, and some anti-scamming websites are having over a thousand new numbers added to their databases every day ( who-called.co.uk has been mentioned). I doubt RUKF would want to start running a database of scam numbers.
Most of the fight against spamming and scamming is being carried out by individuals such as Jim Browning using eg Youtube and TV interviews. Some, like Kitboga and Pierogi, do it full time with their YouTube income. But conspicuously, and almost entirely, absent from the fight are government authorities including police, and phone companies. This is a ridiculous state of affairs and if I believed in conspiracy theories I think I'd start here. There are theories that the phone companies make a lot of money out of scam calls (kickbacks in third world countries?)
I have just checked what it would cost me to call India - a 23p connection charge and then 90p per minute. If scammers in India had to pay anywhere near this to call me their business model would collapse. Yet we are told that each phone call costs the scammer almost nothing, in which case why? Whatever the charges in India are, why doesn't BT charge the connection into their system at least the national rate? It might be a charge to some intermediate carrier rather than directly to the scammer, but the charge would be passed back to the scammer eventually. Better still would be some international co-operation, but don't expect India to do anything about it.
That's a complete and total non-starter. Virtually all international phone traffic is VoIP these days, circuit switching is very much last century technology.I suppose it would be possible to stop scammers by not allowing to use VOIP from India...
Site to site VPN to a endpoint hosted with a cheap VPS provider and the traffic is entering the network from inside the UK.and even if it were possible they would probably be able to reroute via a different country.
Those are retail prices and bear no relation at all to the telco to telco rates. UK voice termination charges are around 0.1p per minute.I have just checked what it would cost me to call India - a 23p connection charge and then 90p per minute.
Its does but i've just checked & that is the number that shows up on calls answered i did have a another call a couple of hours earlier on a different number which i did not answer again only 10 digits.That appears to be one digit too few?
Handful of UK towns still have some bona-fide 10 digit telephone numbers, this includes the Northwich area (01606 xxxxx numbers).Its does but i've just checked & that is the number that shows up on calls answered i did have a another call a couple of hours earlier on a different number which i did not answer again only 10 digits.
Indeed, but at some point their call enters the BT system because it arrives at my landline phone over BT/OpenReach wires. At that point of entry BT could charge the entity it arrives from.Trouble is they don't phone from India or Nigeria. They use VOIP, calling from their computers and somehow connecting into the UK phone system here. I have no idea whether or how they are charged at the UK end,
That is exactly the problem. It is a loophole that needs closing. BT should charge the incoming telco from abroad more than a trivial price. The BT Pay As You Go price for its own customers is 20p/minute. Even though I expect a difference between retail and wholesale rates, there is a very serious disconnect between those two prices for what is the same function in both cases.Those are retail prices and bear no relation at all to the telco to telco rates. UK voice termination charges are around 0.1p per minute.
The fact that the poster is even considering this a possibility of being true suggests the hit rate is probably quite high. a) Ignore anyone calling on a mobile number b) ignore Microsoft, BT, Virgin, Amazon, Brit. Gas, TalkTalk, the police, any bank. If they are having a "problem", tell them to sort it out. If they really want to get in touch they will write or email from a pukka address with your name and minimal details on. Also, just put the phone down or, if you can be bothered, just leave it hanging while you get on with your business- just remember to end the call a bit later.I wonder what the hit rate is for people falling for this scam?
With respect, I think you have no idea at all how telcos operate. Suffice it to say, your proposed "solutions" are completely unworkable.That is exactly the problem. It is a loophole that needs closing. BT should charge the incoming telco from abroad more than a trivial price. The BT Pay As You Go price for its own customers is 20p/minute. Even though I expect a difference between retail and wholesale rates, there is a very serious disconnect between those two prices for what is the same function in both cases.
Could you let me know which solicitors she uses?My wife has just received a call on her mobile. She's going to be arrested for tax fraud. My god, what am I going to do without her!
That's not necessarily a sign of a scam. Presentation numbers can be formatted differently depending on the originating phone system. Area code - three digits - four digits is typical for a system set to use the North American Number Plan.Just received a landline call from 0118-904 9938 (note: typed as it shows on my phone, genuine numbers have a dash but after 5 digits and no gap in the rest).
Hmmm, how often would the police phone up like that on a genuine case? "Hello suspect. We're on to you. This is your 'fair warning' 15 minute head start. Run now and we're unlikely to catch up". Obviously preying on the gullible but, really...?the police telling me I’m about to be arrested
It would be odd for Wessex Water to be calling from a Reading number, since Reading is in the middle of Thames Water's area, they have a large office there.Opinion seems divided on 0118-904 9938. Might well be a scam, could however be something to do with Wessex Water. One way or another, unsolicited calls ostensibly from this number do seem to have annoyed a lot of folk.


Even more surprising is that those who have checked up on this number, presumably because they have had a call, are from London, Cambridge, Manchester, Bournemouth, Swindon and Birmingham (according to one website). Some might be Wessex Water customers, others definitely are not. Some report that the caller claimed to be from Marks and Spencer.It would be odd for Wessex Water to be calling from a Reading number, since Reading is in the middle of Thames Water's area, they have a large office there.
Not really surprising since the Thames runs right through the middle of town![]()