northwichcat
Veteran Member
If Labour led by Corbyn get in the government I can see it being a lot more pro-Trade Union than the current Conservative government. However, while I can see a lot of government support for Trade Unions representing private sector employees, what will happen about public sector employees?
The government will be in positions where they will have to spend more tax payer's money if they want to keep the unions happy. With the NHS I can see Labour being happy to spend more (with the quality NHS always being a manifesto claim) but with the railways (which a Corbyn led government would nationalise) Labour will be under pressure to have a more cost effective railway system and if they scrap DCO/DOO plans to keep the unions happy I can't see the national rail company offering pay rises at the same level as the privatised system offers. If they put an independent body in charge of reviewing pay I honestly don't think they'll be recommending pay rises for drivers unless they discover that train drivers are paid less than ones in other EU countries.
In the case of any nationalised sectors whether it be railways or energy I can see the number of high paid manager roles being reduced.
The government will be in positions where they will have to spend more tax payer's money if they want to keep the unions happy. With the NHS I can see Labour being happy to spend more (with the quality NHS always being a manifesto claim) but with the railways (which a Corbyn led government would nationalise) Labour will be under pressure to have a more cost effective railway system and if they scrap DCO/DOO plans to keep the unions happy I can't see the national rail company offering pay rises at the same level as the privatised system offers. If they put an independent body in charge of reviewing pay I honestly don't think they'll be recommending pay rises for drivers unless they discover that train drivers are paid less than ones in other EU countries.
In the case of any nationalised sectors whether it be railways or energy I can see the number of high paid manager roles being reduced.