• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A person has been hit by a train at Aleaxandra Palace

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Joined
23 Feb 2010
Messages
6,906
Location
Richmond, London
I witnessed a young guy running up to the far end of platform 2 at Rugby this evening at about 16:45 shouting he was going to throw himself in front of a train. Platform 2 mainly used by the southbound non-stop and very fast Pendolinos. However nothing happened thanks to the quick actions of a couple of enthusiasts and the station staff.

I can say with almost certainty that he didn't intend to take his own life and was simply a cry for help. That isn't to say that he is in desperate need of help but at least he is not too far gone. Those who are commited to suicide never tell anyone. The recent passing of Gary Speed was a lesson to us all.

Depression can strike at anytime and to anyone. Depression is an illness and if not treated it can be deadly. As we have sadly discovered tonight (if of course it was suicide). Rest in peace you poor soul.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
its painless and quick, though i do feel very sorry for drivers who have the memories of such a event in there heads for a long time.

Not always is - there has been a few that I know of where the train has been slowing down and the person hasn't been killed outright - in both instances the person lost a limb or two.
 

the sniper

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2007
Messages
3,498
Not always is - there has been a few that I know of where the train has been slowing down and the person hasn't been killed outright - in both instances the person lost a limb or two.

I heard there was recently an incident in south Birmingham where someone was just knocked down in circumstances like you describe. They were almost fine just to walk away! The poor train driver was a bit shocked though.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,684
Location
LBK
Sorry, I should have added that I also find it hugely disappointing that the immediate assumption is that the person committed suicide and there is a huge rush to condemn them. It could have been a tragic accident or high jinks gone wrong.

Quite true. I'm afraid to say a recent fatality on the WCML near Harrow and Wealdstone is the subject of a criminal investigation, after it emerged that a gang of men were chasing a young man across the track.

I read the logs for that evening and it was absolutely appalling reading. I felt sick.

Not all fatalities are suicides - some are kids mucking about or tragic accidents, as O L Leigh says.

Fortunately I have not had to deal with a friend or relative committing suicide, but I have had to deal with the sudden death of an uncle. Regardless of the circumstances, anyone being killed in circumstances like these, intentional or otherwise, deserve at least a little respect.

Might I also commend Eagle for being so honest in earlier posts - which brings some perspective into the discussion. Depression is a massive killer.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top