• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A person has been hit by a train at Aleaxandra Palace

Status
Not open for further replies.

amcluesent

Member
Joined
19 Dec 2010
Messages
877
As if it wasn't bad enough on ECML with the northern storms!

45c6aa5f.jpg


Well EC try to winkle-out of Delay\Repay?
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,909
Location
East Anglia
They never consider that or anyone else. Last few ive been involved with have all been London area at start of evening peak, GRrrrrrrrrrr!!
 

gazthomas

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2011
Messages
3,466
Location
Llandudno
On the 17.35 departure from Stevenage just passing Hornsey now.

I am sure I just went through the depot! Did I?
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,681
Location
LBK
It's nearing Christmas.

What a shame. :(
 

philjo

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2009
Messages
3,027
I'm glad that the 16:47 Cambridge train I caught at Potters Bar was 10 minutes late allowing me to catch it as by the time we got to Stevenage the next one had been cancelled & the one after that delayed. I did think something was up as we went along the fast line after WGC & didn't see another train until Stevenage.

They were also making announcements about a broken down train at Shepreth .
 

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2008
Messages
5,754
Location
Essex
They never consider that or anyone else. Last few ive been involved with have all been London area at start of evening peak, GRrrrrrrrrrr!!

Have you thought about the family who will have to get through Christmas without that person there? About their grief and pain? I suggest you think about that rather than your journey home.
 

Eagle

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2011
Messages
7,106
Location
Leamingrad / Blanfrancisco
They never consider that or anyone else.

As someone who's been there in recent memory, I can confirm that yes, I did not consider that what I was about to do might cause disruption to the rail network. Wasn't really the first thing on my mind at the time.
 

Tav77

Member
Joined
10 Sep 2011
Messages
64
They never consider that or anyone else. Last few ive been involved with have all been London area at start of evening peak, GRrrrrrrrrrr!!

I bet that was the 1st thing on their mind!
 

Aictos

Established Member
Joined
28 Apr 2009
Messages
10,403
As if it wasn't bad enough on ECML with the northern storms!

45c6aa5f.jpg


Well EC try to winkle-out of Delay\Repay?

No need for the dig at East Coast, someone's just died there with the driver having to suffer from flashback memories of this and you're wasting time slagging off East Coast. <(
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
For those of you who haven't had to witness or deal with the aftermath of a fatality on the railway, then you are in no position to comment on what the person is thinking at that time.

Plus we don't even know if it was a suicide anyway.
 

Aictos

Established Member
Joined
28 Apr 2009
Messages
10,403
For those of you who haven't had to witness or deal with the aftermath of a fatality on the railway, then you are in no position to comment on what the person is thinking at that time.

Plus we don't even know if it was a suicide anyway.

Exactly my point!
 

NSE

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2010
Messages
1,920
It's such a shame, I feel for the driver most of all in those circumstances(aside from the family). Regardless of the problems faced by the individual, the driver may suffer from terrible flashbacks. Tragic circumstances so close to Christmas too :(
 

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,909
Location
East Anglia
Have you thought about the family who will have to get through Christmas without that person there? About their grief and pain? I suggest you think about that rather than your journey home.

I speak about it as a train driver who has been involved in a fatality. That person thought nothing of me or my feelings & it happens so often myself & the travelling public we get absolutley fed up with the constant disruption to our lives. Of course we feel for the family & friends of those involved but enough is enough. There are easier ways to end your life than inflict your pain on everybody else. This subject has been absolutley done to death on here & no matter who gets on their soap box we will never never all be in agreement.
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
This subject has been absolutley done to death on here & no matter who gets on their soap box we will never never all be in agreement.

Seconded. There is no 'right' or 'wrong' answer on the subject and everyone will have their own, differing views.
 

Eagle

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2011
Messages
7,106
Location
Leamingrad / Blanfrancisco
I speak about it as a train driver who has been involved in a fatality.

And I speak about it as an aborted railway suicide. Believe me, I find it every bit as painful to talk about as you, and then some.

There are easier ways to end your life than inflict your pain on everybody else.

When I wanted to do it, I happened to be outside, near a train station. I obviously didn't have several boxes of paracetamol or a gun or a rope on my person. There was only one easy way I could have done it at the time.
 

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,909
Location
East Anglia
When I wanted to do it, I happened to be outside, near a train station. I obviously didn't have several boxes of paracetamol or a gun or a rope on my person. There was only one easy way I could have done it at the time.

We obviously will have to agree to having very differing opinions.
 

ole man

Member
Joined
6 Jul 2011
Messages
739
Location
LEC5
I totally understand why people commit suicide on the railway, its painless and quick, though i do feel very sorry for drivers who have the memories of such a event in there heads for a long time.
I seen one earlier this year at West Hampstead, it knocked me back for days, i had his face in my thoughts 24/7, the driver of the HST was in bits as they are helpless.
 

Swr28

Member
Joined
30 Aug 2011
Messages
86
Location
The Cambrian since 1982
I witnessed a young guy running up to the far end of platform 2 at Rugby this evening at about 16:45 shouting he was going to throw himself in front of a train. Platform 2 mainly used by the southbound non-stop and very fast Pendolinos. However nothing happened thanks to the quick actions of a couple of enthusiasts and the station staff.
 

ole man

Member
Joined
6 Jul 2011
Messages
739
Location
LEC5
Well agreed, but most of the time a big percentage of suicides on the railway wouldn't feel a thing.
Is it the most common way of suicide in the UK?
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
Well agreed, but most of the time a big percentage of suicides on the railway wouldn't feel a thing.
Is it the most common way of suicide in the UK?

I doubt it, I would suggest overdose and hanging are the most common.
 

O L Leigh

Established Member
Joined
20 Jan 2006
Messages
5,609
Location
In the cab with the paper
Nope, but for the majority it is the quickest and least painful means of suicide available and can be done on the spur of the moment.

I know this topic gets folk hot under the collar and I can see both sides of the discussion. My own view sits somewhere between the two, but this is neither the time nor the place. However, not all rail deaths are suicides. There have been quite a few that have been the result of misadventure, bravado, stupidity or drunkeness. Certainly the last one on the WA was not a suicide, and there have been many others that also fail to fit that criteria.

Please, lets not get ahead of ourselves. Every death is a tragedy no matter what it's cause. Someone has met an untimely end and their family is having to deal with the loss as well as the traincrew and others directly involved who will have a rough few weeks to get through. Rail deaths are a fact of life and nothing is going to prevent them. Whatever our views and feelings I'm sure we can all agree to treat them with a bit more respect.

O L Leigh
 

ole man

Member
Joined
6 Jul 2011
Messages
739
Location
LEC5
Who isn't treating them with respect?.
I for one would never show disrespect towards anybody in that situation.
Train drivers might feel different but then what do you expect they don't ask for it, and have to suffer.
I remember my dad's first suicide and he was in bits for weeks, now it doesn't bother him, which might sound cold, then again that might be his way of dealing with it
 

O L Leigh

Established Member
Joined
20 Jan 2006
Messages
5,609
Location
In the cab with the paper
It does irk me slightly when folk moan about fatalities simply for the inconvenience they cause and fail to see the tragedy that has actually happened. To me this shows a lack of respect. It's not shown by all, but it does seem to be a common response to news of a fatality.

Fortunately no-one came and tutted at me when I ran one over, but they certainly did when I've been caught up in delays caused by folk disappearing under the front of other trains.

**EDIT**

Sorry, I should have added that I also find it hugely disappointing that the immediate assumption is that the person committed suicide and there is a huge rush to condemn them. It could have been a tragic accident or high jinks gone wrong.

O L Leigh
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top