• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A New Type of Phone Scam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esker-pades

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2015
Messages
3,784
Location
Beds, Bucks, or somewhere else
Slightly off-topic, but this reminds me of a story told by a couple of school friends. They were sons of the Free Church minister in the neighbouring village, and whenever the Jehovah's Witnesses showed up at the Manse they'd find themselves invited in, offered refreshments and would end up spending so much time engaging in theological debate that they had much less time to visit any other houses.
I had a Jehovah's Witness at my door once. I was in an argumentative mood so I spent 70 minutes having a discussion with them about religion and the tortuous analogies that he spun out. I leant against the doorframe staring into the middle-distance whilst he stood on the doorstep. He couldn't really end the conversation, so it went on at least 20 minutes longer than he wanted. Good practise really.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HH

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2009
Messages
4,505
Location
Essex
Many moons ago I had two lady JW's knock at my door on a hot summers day. I was painting my bedroom at the time and being hot was only in an old pair of underpants. You've never seen JWs beat it so fast!
 

Modron

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2019
Messages
202
Many moons ago I had two lady JW's knock at my door on a hot summers day. I was painting my bedroom at the time and being hot was only in an old pair of underpants. You've never seen JWs beat it so fast!

I won't ask if they saw a full 'moon' during daytime! :D

I like to have fun with the callers and wind them up. One rang the other day, and in a camp voice I said 'hey sexpot, calling for a good time?'

He never rang back... men eh?'
 

Basher

Member
Joined
6 Oct 2017
Messages
343
I had a Jehovah's Witness at my door once. I was in an argumentative mood so I spent 70 minutes having a discussion with them about religion and the tortuous analogies that he spun out. I leant against the doorframe staring into the middle-distance whilst he stood on the doorstep. He couldn't really end the conversation, so it went on at least 20 minutes longer than he wanted. Good practise really.
My late farther in law would always invite them in for a cup of tea and a chat. They soon learnt to avoid his house because of the time they spent there . (some even grow a beard while they were there)
 

Modron

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2019
Messages
202
My late farther in law would always invite them in for a cup of tea and a chat. They soon learnt to avoid his house because of the time they spent there . (some even grow a beard while they were there)

They avoid mine too as they know I will Hitchens them.
 

PeterC

Established Member
Joined
29 Sep 2014
Messages
4,786
'Are you phoning about the funeral?'
I'll have to try that for a change.

I volunteer for an arts organisation and 99.9% of legit calls that I don't recognise on caller ID are for that. I just answer in the name of the organisation and most scammers thing that they have business switchboard and hang up.
 

PeterC

Established Member
Joined
29 Sep 2014
Messages
4,786
Not the same issue but I used to work in a bank in the 1970s and if a customer phoned after 5 it would switch through to the assistant manager desk who, if he was working late, would answer any query with "dunno mate, I'm just the cleaner".
 

Harpers Tate

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2013
Messages
2,057
Reminds me of a Bank I worked in back in the 70s. We had a (nowadays sexist) rule that any branch had to have at least two men in it. There was a little suburban branch where the staff (just two cashiers, nothing more) were supplied on rota from the bigger town branch - and were just about always one male, one female. So we employed a retired prison officer as "guard". He was pretty much there to make tea and comply with the two males rule and that's all. He had no clerical function. He was required to wear a suit. He was the nicest guy you could hope to meet.

However, if he ever overheard the (junior) staff being tormented by some nasty customer, he would acquire the fiercest expression imaginable - would appear quickly from behind the scenes into the customer area, and (without ever saying as much) would manifest as being completely in charge of the branch. Interesting how the nasiest people settled down - very quickly............happy days!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top