Unless people have a valid medical reason for not wearing masks I really don't understand what the issue is.
Many people are exempt however there have been incidents of abuse and shaming by people who are keen to judge others.
Furthermore, some people feel anxious about their exemption.
As we
see above, some companies are asking their customers to report people who may be covered by exemptions; how do you think those people will feel?
I personally hate the requirement but this suggestion is nonsense
Are you also going to suggest that for other laws you don't like? Should we have speeding hour? Park where you like hour? Smoking in the pub day?
Interesting analogies but they don't really work.
This is how people are being made to feel:
https://twitter.com/moodycowhere/status/1288557070267174913
i was thrown out of a charity store yesterday after being shouted at/threatened with police AFTER i explained im exempt from wearing a mask. 4 staff bullied me so bad. is it legal to abuse a disabled person with autism? can they refuse to let me shop?
@DisabilityUK
https://twitter.com/tragicjodie/status/1287196259045068800
I have one of these cards as i can struggle wearing a mask due to sensory needs associated with my autism. Tho, seems that staff in a shop today still didn’t really believe me, rolled there eyes, stared at me + my friend round the shop & told me she “guessed it was okay”
https://twitter.com/MariaSn81929642/status/1286928734780563459
I had to leave the shop yesterday as my son became so distressed
we were the only ones not wearing a mask. He is 23, and has autism. He used to love going shopping and is well known by all the staff. It broke my heart
https://twitter.com/MariaSn81929642/status/1286928734780563459
I had to leave a shop yesterday. I got so paranoid about being in a shop without a mask. Everyone looking at me in disgust. Took me a few hours to calm myself afterwards. I've lost my independence at 31 years old because of this mandate! It's gutting. I hope your son is okay x
For anyone that doesn't know the lanyard Riley my autistic grandson is wearing round his neck means he has special needs. Some shops recognise it some dont. I took Riley in Wilkinson's today I had my mask but Riley is exempt from wearing due to having autism.
The security guard argued with me and wasnt going to allow me in. He was very rude and very unpleasant. I managed to speak to the manager she didnt have a clue what the lanyard meant, but apologised for the security guards behaviour.
I really think shops should be educated about special needs. It would make shopping trips a lot easier, shopping with a autistic child can be very difficult at the best of times without people like this making it worse
I feel angry at the way these people are being treated; if anyone thinks it's okay for people to be treated like that, I'm up for an argument.
But then I've worked with children with special needs; I've supported children who have been bullied, and I'll never forget the last time a boy who committed suicide said hello to me.
Some people just cannot see the bigger picture.