I had bought a Cumbria Day ranger, but all did not go to plan.
At Preston, I boarded the 11.41 Avanti service to Carlisle. It started from Preston due to an earlier incident. Just after the departure time the train manager informed us we would be delayed as there were "overhead wire issues north of Lancaster". I did fear the worst and prepared for a very long delay or RRB's. After 20 minutes or so, the TM announced we were about to leave. He also told us the shop was closed because the staff were in the wrong place. We stopped at Lancaster and as if by magic the shop opened! We were held at Lancaster for about 20 minutes. We then crawled to just south of Carnforth, stopping for around 50 mins. Again I feared the worst. However, after the power on the pendolino was rebooted, we set off about 10 minutes later, crawled through Carnforth. Once past there the rest of the journey was fine.
Hats off to the train manager who kept us informed as best as he could. It would also interesting chatting to a few of the passengers who basically thought the long delay was a pain - but at leat we weren't on replacement coaches!
At Preston, I boarded the 11.41 Avanti service to Carlisle. It started from Preston due to an earlier incident. Just after the departure time the train manager informed us we would be delayed as there were "overhead wire issues north of Lancaster". I did fear the worst and prepared for a very long delay or RRB's. After 20 minutes or so, the TM announced we were about to leave. He also told us the shop was closed because the staff were in the wrong place. We stopped at Lancaster and as if by magic the shop opened! We were held at Lancaster for about 20 minutes. We then crawled to just south of Carnforth, stopping for around 50 mins. Again I feared the worst. However, after the power on the pendolino was rebooted, we set off about 10 minutes later, crawled through Carnforth. Once past there the rest of the journey was fine.
Hats off to the train manager who kept us informed as best as he could. It would also interesting chatting to a few of the passengers who basically thought the long delay was a pain - but at leat we weren't on replacement coaches!