• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A listing of "unusual" services...

Status
Not open for further replies.

arabianights

Member
Joined
1 Jun 2011
Messages
150
Firstly, if the following exists then please do accept my apologies (and more importantly, let me know where I can find it) - but I think it doesn't!

I was wondering if it would be a good idea to create a wiki or something of all unusual/interesting services. Maybe RailUK could launch a wiki, as I think it would be more appropriate thatn a thread.

Various categories I would propose:

*Unusual Rolling Stock
*Parliamentry Train / Unusual Route (both meaning something about the route is itself unusual, and meaning that the routing of the service makes little sense)
*Loco Hauled
*Strange Time
*Notoriety or publicity
*Lack of usefulness

What say ye? What other categories would you include? I think I've covered the obvious ones but there's probably a few other things.

I must warn you my posts are currently on moderator approval, but I hope that's all a bit of a misunderstanding and we'll all be best of buds shortly and getting involved in a project like that would really be right up my straza (no, my straza :lol:). Otherwise I am in all of tonight and hoping to respond asap!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Any Permitted

Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
174
Location
Southampton
Summer Saturday services are going to be on there. The one local to me is the Class 90 with Mk3s being dragged by a Class 47 from Great Yarmouth to Norwich on Summer Saturdays.
 

LemonGrove

Member
Joined
16 Mar 2011
Messages
22
Location
London
Not a service Altnabreac Station is one, I think I remember something about there not really being any known reason for it being opened.
 

Welshman

Established Member
Joined
11 Mar 2010
Messages
3,068
EMT run a 2048 [2049 Sats] Lincoln - Sleaford service which was advertised in the last timetable as being through to Boston [2120 from Sleaford]. Although not advertised as such in the present tables 18 & 19, I suspect it still runs through.

Usually formed of a 153, it was originally an ECS movement from Sleaford ready for Boston's requirements the following morning. What is interesting is that it was [is] the only service now off the Lincoln line to Boston, as all other Boston traffic originates at/extends to Grantham/Nottingham.

Reminiscent of the holiday trains from Sheffield and the North to Skegness via Lincoln and Sleaford after the "New Line" via Tumby Woodside closed.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
EMT run a 2048 [2049 Sats] Lincoln - Sleaford service which was advertised in the last timetable as being through to Boston [2120 from Sleaford]. Although not advertised as such in the present tables 18 & 19, I suspect it still runs through.

Usually formed of a 153, it was originally an ECS movement from Sleaford ready for Boston's requirements the following morning. What is interesting is that it was [is] the only service now off the Lincoln line to Boston, as all other Boston traffic originates at/extends to Grantham/Nottingham.

Reminiscent of the holiday trains from Sheffield and the North to Skegness via Lincoln and Sleaford after the "New Line" via Tumby Woodside closed.

Appears that it ran through to Boston today, 2S31.
 

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Joined
25 Nov 2010
Messages
4,861
Summer Saturday services are going to be on there. The one local to me is the Class 90 with Mk3s being dragged by a Class 47 from Great Yarmouth to Norwich on Summer Saturdays.

Does the 90 stay on and get dragged to Great Yarmouth too, or does it uncouple to lighten the load on the 47? If the 90 detaches, this is a service to add to my list of services where a TDM fitted 47 would be useful.

The current Cardiff -> Fishguard daytime service. It does not call at Carmarthen and, either on Monday-Friday but not Saturday or the other way round, doesn't really save time by doing so, but on the other day(s) does.
 

route101

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,306
A couple in Scotland !
Edinburgh to Oban in the Summer.
Glasgow to Kirkcaldy
Edinburgh to Motherwell via Shotts
 

Liam

Established Member
Joined
29 Dec 2010
Messages
1,245
A couple in Scotland !
Edinburgh to Oban in the Summer.
Glasgow to Kirkcaldy
Edinburgh to Motherwell via Shotts

Perth-Edinburgh via Dunfermline
Edinburgh-Dundee via Perth
Kyle-Elgin (IIRC uses the curve from the Far North Line to Inverness TMD, then reverses into Inverness station.)
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,125
Location
Redcar
Does the 90 stay on and get dragged to Great Yarmouth too, or does it uncouple to lighten the load on the 47? If the 90 detaches, this is a service to add to my list of services where a TDM fitted 47 would be useful.

Nope the 90s stay attached and get dragged along with the Mk3s. It simplifies the operation by reducing the number of couplings/uncouplings and light engine moves.
 

The Sleeper

Member
Joined
18 May 2011
Messages
49
Location
South West and sometimes in the East
Not a service Altnabreac Station is one, I think I remember something about there not really being any known reason for it being opened.

Altnabreac station served a hunting lodge for the estate over which the railway passed, it was built as a condition of the landowner. It now serves various walking routes in the area and is a great place for wild life spotting - that's if they don't shoot it first <(-this is the most remote station in the UK, in England that goes to Berney Arms:D
 

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,467
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
Not a service Altnabreac Station is one, I think I remember something about there not really being any known reason for it being opened.

I am only too happy to assist you on this matter. This was the station that I had in mind when setting a conundrum on the quiz forum on 21st May and in the end, someone pleaded with me to give the answer, which I did yesterday!

Altnabreac station was opened in 1874 by the Sutherland and Caithness Railway. When built, there were no local faciities as the nearby hotel was not built some years later. It did serve an operational purpose, as it did have a passing loop and a water tank.

To answer your main query, the reason for the continued existance of this station is solely due to the former Caithness Couny Council enacting a policy of not allowing the closure of any stations within its geographical boundaries. Rather strangely, the County Council was dissolved a short period after this, but this decision was never overturned by its successor, but it may have influenced the education part of the new body by the fact that pupils from Altnabreac School used the service. The station is currently managed by First Scotrail and is a request stop with an average of 200 passengers annually, the vast majority of which are walkers who seem to like this rather remote area.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top