Harlesden
Member
All decent people were horrified by the racist murder of Stephen Lawrence in April 1993.
His mother, Doreen, did the same as any mother of a murdered child would in terms of campaiging for justice in the hope of those responsible being made to pay for their crime. Her ordeal in losing a child through violence could not be considered unique.
However, 10 years ago, Doreen Lawrence was awarded the OBE for her services to community relations. Fair enough. She was a tireless worker for police reforms and founded a charitable trust in memory of her dead son.
But now in 2013, she has been awarded a life peerage which entitles her to sit in the House of Lords and be known as Baroness Lawrence of Clarendon.
I just wondered how the gentlemen of this forum feel.
Living in a Caribbean household as I do, I can say with confidence that the decision by this government to award the life peerage is considered a little odd even by some of Baroness Lawrence's fellow Jamaicans.
His mother, Doreen, did the same as any mother of a murdered child would in terms of campaiging for justice in the hope of those responsible being made to pay for their crime. Her ordeal in losing a child through violence could not be considered unique.
However, 10 years ago, Doreen Lawrence was awarded the OBE for her services to community relations. Fair enough. She was a tireless worker for police reforms and founded a charitable trust in memory of her dead son.
But now in 2013, she has been awarded a life peerage which entitles her to sit in the House of Lords and be known as Baroness Lawrence of Clarendon.
I just wondered how the gentlemen of this forum feel.
Living in a Caribbean household as I do, I can say with confidence that the decision by this government to award the life peerage is considered a little odd even by some of Baroness Lawrence's fellow Jamaicans.