• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A few questions regarding east midlands trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Joined
28 Dec 2010
Messages
2,087
Location
Ellesmere port
sorry guys about making 3 threads already but ive got some questions regardin east midlands trains.

did they used to serve barnsley burton on trent and cambridge?

and do some robin hood line services from mansfield woodhouse extend to skegness first train and the last and 1tpd from mansfield woodhouse to norwich?

many thanks
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Joined
21 Jan 2010
Messages
5,578
did they used to serve barnsley burton on trent and cambridge?

Hello, Welcome to the forum!


I am able to advise about Cambridge however not the other two.

East Midlands Trains, as far as I am aware, have never served Cambridge however their predecessor, Central Trains did on their Stansted Airport to Birmingham New Street service which during the franchise change in 2007 went over to Arriva Cross Country.

I hope this helps you,

TP
 

Jdrowlands

Member
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
182
Midland Mainline used to serve Barnsley, but I think that the DfT told EMT to stop running it when the franchise changed.
 

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Joined
28 Dec 2010
Messages
2,087
Location
Ellesmere port
Hello, Welcome to the forum!


I am able to advise about Cambridge however not the other two.

East Midlands Trains, as far as I am aware, have never served Cambridge however their predecessor, Central Trains did on their Stansted Airport to Birmingham New Street service which during the franchise change in 2007 went over to Arriva Cross Country.

I hope this helps you,

TP

thanks for reply project mapping has an emt map from 2007 and it puts cambridge as a limited connect servcice
 

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Joined
21 Jan 2010
Messages
5,578
I have done a little digging and found that although [stn]CBG[/stn] is not listed on their current Network Map it is listed in the list shown when I click 'ALL STATIONS' on the map here. That suggests that EMT don't currently serve CBG (as you are aware) however may have done in the past.

Looking on Wikipedia (I know, not the best source), on the Cambridge railway station page, under categories I find this "Railway stations served by East Midlands Trains" .

I can't find any photos of EMT at Cambridge either... there are other things that have amazed me on my patch, if they have, this is going to be one of them.

TP
 

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Joined
28 Dec 2010
Messages
2,087
Location
Ellesmere port
I have done a little digging and found that although [stn]CBG[/stn] is not listed on their current Network Map it is listed in the list shown when I click 'ALL STATIONS' on the map here. That suggests that EMT don't currently serve CBG (as you are aware) however may have done in the past.

Looking on Wikipedia (I know, not the best source), on the Cambridge railway station page, under categories I find this "Railway stations served by East Midlands Trains" .

I can't find any photos of EMT at Cambridge either... there are other things that have amazed me on my patch, if they have, this is going to be one of them.

TP

ye thanks

the map i gave the linky for was the 2007 one
 

Dreadnought

Member
Joined
1 Oct 2007
Messages
586
I'm sure EMT used to serve Burton upon Trent with a direct service to/from St Pancras but they don't appear to now.
 

TheBigD

Established Member
Joined
19 Nov 2008
Messages
2,043
EMT served CBG from Nov 07 to Dec 08.

0617 CBG-NRW, 0727 CBG-LIV & 2210 NRW-CBG.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
EMT served CBG from Nov 07 to Dec 08.

0617 CBG-NRW, 0727 CBG-LIV & 2210 NRW-CBG.
 

sulli_os

Member
Joined
19 May 2011
Messages
55
I think EMT served Burton and Barnsley only very briefly - from taking the franchise (MML used to run a once per day London service from each) until the first timetable change. That could have been just months.
 

tbtc

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Dec 2008
Messages
18,061
Location
Reston City Centre
Midland Mainline (part of National Express*) introduced new direct London links to/from Barnsley/ Matlock/ Burton when they introduced their two-car Turbostars. Before then it was only one train an hour to Sheffield and one train an hour to Nottingham (MM doubled the overall frequency, though clearly not the number of seats)

Central Trains operated two long distance routes from Merseyside to East Anglia at the start of their franchise. These were generally speaking Liverpool - Nottingham - Norwich and Liverpool - Birmingham - Stansted - hourly on each service.

These were previously a more random assortment of services under BR (e.g. a few of the services via Nottingham/Sheffield ran to Blackpool instead of Liverpool, some ran to Ipswich instead of Norwich/Stansted), but even under Central there were some "swaps" (direct services from Sheffield/Nottingham to Cambridge/Stansted, or from Birmingham to Norwich).

Now things are even "simpler" and all Sheffield/Nottingham services go to Norwich whilst all Birmingham services go to Cambridge/Stansted. However I can understand why Cambridge may have appeared on an early EMT map since some of the services did go to Cambridge (in Central days), there may even have been a brief period when EMT *did* run there (I can't be sure).

(* - sounds strange in 2011, but ten/fifteen years ago National Express were part of big improvements on some franchises, rather than just being remembered for the mixed back of NXEA)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
ETA: I think the services stopped running to Matlock when the 222s replaced the 170s - Burton and Barnsley may have lasted a little longer
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,943
Location
Fenny Stratford
sorry guys about making 3 threads already but ive got some questions regardin east midlands trains.

did they used to serve barnsley burton on trent and cambridge?

and do some robin hood line services from mansfield woodhouse extend to skegness first train and the last and 1tpd from mansfield woodhouse to norwich?

many thanks

did they not serve burton via the coalville knighton juntion line? Not with many trains but i think daily - was it a 170?

 

Welshman

Established Member
Joined
11 Mar 2010
Messages
3,068
To answer the last part of your question:=

The 0707 M-F Mansfield Woodhouse-Nottingham is shown as being through to Norwich[d. Nottingham 0752].

And there are through services from Mansfield Woodhouse to Skegness at 0852 on Sundays, and 1807 return from Skeggy [both until 11 September].

There may be other times when stock is interchanged between the Skeggy and Robin Hood line services at Nottingham, but the above are the only ones which are publicly shown as through trains.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top