Hi all, bear with me as this is my first trip report so feel free to comment at what to put in and what to take out next time.
Day 1, Penyffordd-Cheshire (part 1)
After a fairly good night sleep at my granny's in Pen-y-ffordd, my phone alarm rang at 07:45 on the 1st of August 2014. I got out of bed, got dressed and grabbed a couple of slices of toast in the kitchen and ate them before getting my train-spotting books and camera ready for the day I had ahead. My mum had volunteered to drive me down to Pen-y-ffordd station for the 09:08 train to Wrexham, my first move of the day, but she over-slept so my granny taken me to the station instead. My train to Wrexham General, 150284 rolled in 5 minutes late at 09:13 and departed a minute later. For people who haven't traveled on the borderlands line south of Pen-y-ffordd, it is an utter stagger, taking 19 minutes (if perfectly on time) to go 6 miles and 70 chains. I arrived at Wrexham General at 09:31 and I got off, walked over the bridge onto platform 1 and bought a child return to Ruabon at the ticket office. Having already bought my return from Penyffordd-Chester on 150284, I waited for the train to Ruabon, the 09:42 to Cardiff Central, hoping I would make my connection there.
My train arrived in at 09:42, formed of a 2 car 175, 175007. I boarded the far coach and walked through the train looking for a seat, which was surprisingly easy. This was my first time on a class 175 and, thinking it would be a horrible journey, quite enjoyed it. The seats were quite comfy, the underfloor engine wasn't loud and the guard was very quick at checking tickets. I leaped off at Ruabon and ran over the footbridge onto platform 1. I then strolled down the platform a bit and stopped. Upon seeing what was coming around the bend at the end of the station, my blood froze. 158825 had pulled in to the drizzly station of Ruabon on the 09:54 service to Holyhead, my train to Chester. Having traveled on an ATW 158 before, and hating it, I groaned and reluctantly boarded. I had to stand in a cramped vestibule all the way to Chester and to make things worse, all the way there was a high pitched noise in the unit. The guard came down the train but only sold people tickets if they needed them, he didn't check tickets at all. I was very glad when I got off at Chester and away from the 158. I walked over the bridge from platform 4b to the barriers where I shown the man there my ticket from Pen-y-ffordd to Chester and he let me through. I then walked to the ticket office and waited for about 5 minutes in the queue before being served. I bought a Merseyrail all areas saveaway, £2.50 for a child, and decided to go to Bache. I walked over to platform 7b to see that 508140 was leaving on the 10:31 to Liverpool Central so I had to wait 15 minutes.
15 minutes passed and I boarded the 10:45 train, 507028 to go to Bache. I passed Chester 175 Alstom depot, which had a few units there and then a few sidings with the rails rusted before arriving at Bache. I got off the train and strolled over the footbridge, looking at how easy the Morrisons opposite the station was to get to as I was planning to go there for lunch. I then walked down onto the other platform and strolled along it, with 3 minutes to spare. My train came in and I boarded it, able to get a seat for the 3 minute ride back to Chester, which ended up being 6 minutes on 507007. I jumped off at Chester on platform 7b and looked over at platform 3b at Chester to see 175112 leaving on a Llandudno bound train. I began to walk down platform 7, towards the Northern Rail part of Chester where I saw 2 class 150s sat in the 2 platforms, 1 ready to work the slightly delayed 10:59 service to Manchester Piccadilly and the other just sat in platform 5 doing nothing. I walked back to platform 7b and waited for the 11:11 arrival from Liverpool, but it arrived at 11:09. I boarded the train, 507005 ready to do it to Bache. We left on time and arrived at Bache right time. Again I went over the footbridge and down onto platform 1. My train came in, 508134 and taken me back to Chester. I stayed on 508134 back out to Bache, as I was planning to catch the 11:55 train to Crewe and needed to kill some time. It arrived to Bache, where instead of strolling, I sprinted across the footbridge and made the +1 back to Chester on 508108. I then ran over the bridge at Chester and down onto platform 3 before walking up to platform 1 where 150242 arrived to take me to Crewe.
I think that is enough for part 1, part 2 will be soon (hopefully).
Day 1, Penyffordd-Cheshire (part 1)
After a fairly good night sleep at my granny's in Pen-y-ffordd, my phone alarm rang at 07:45 on the 1st of August 2014. I got out of bed, got dressed and grabbed a couple of slices of toast in the kitchen and ate them before getting my train-spotting books and camera ready for the day I had ahead. My mum had volunteered to drive me down to Pen-y-ffordd station for the 09:08 train to Wrexham, my first move of the day, but she over-slept so my granny taken me to the station instead. My train to Wrexham General, 150284 rolled in 5 minutes late at 09:13 and departed a minute later. For people who haven't traveled on the borderlands line south of Pen-y-ffordd, it is an utter stagger, taking 19 minutes (if perfectly on time) to go 6 miles and 70 chains. I arrived at Wrexham General at 09:31 and I got off, walked over the bridge onto platform 1 and bought a child return to Ruabon at the ticket office. Having already bought my return from Penyffordd-Chester on 150284, I waited for the train to Ruabon, the 09:42 to Cardiff Central, hoping I would make my connection there.
My train arrived in at 09:42, formed of a 2 car 175, 175007. I boarded the far coach and walked through the train looking for a seat, which was surprisingly easy. This was my first time on a class 175 and, thinking it would be a horrible journey, quite enjoyed it. The seats were quite comfy, the underfloor engine wasn't loud and the guard was very quick at checking tickets. I leaped off at Ruabon and ran over the footbridge onto platform 1. I then strolled down the platform a bit and stopped. Upon seeing what was coming around the bend at the end of the station, my blood froze. 158825 had pulled in to the drizzly station of Ruabon on the 09:54 service to Holyhead, my train to Chester. Having traveled on an ATW 158 before, and hating it, I groaned and reluctantly boarded. I had to stand in a cramped vestibule all the way to Chester and to make things worse, all the way there was a high pitched noise in the unit. The guard came down the train but only sold people tickets if they needed them, he didn't check tickets at all. I was very glad when I got off at Chester and away from the 158. I walked over the bridge from platform 4b to the barriers where I shown the man there my ticket from Pen-y-ffordd to Chester and he let me through. I then walked to the ticket office and waited for about 5 minutes in the queue before being served. I bought a Merseyrail all areas saveaway, £2.50 for a child, and decided to go to Bache. I walked over to platform 7b to see that 508140 was leaving on the 10:31 to Liverpool Central so I had to wait 15 minutes.
15 minutes passed and I boarded the 10:45 train, 507028 to go to Bache. I passed Chester 175 Alstom depot, which had a few units there and then a few sidings with the rails rusted before arriving at Bache. I got off the train and strolled over the footbridge, looking at how easy the Morrisons opposite the station was to get to as I was planning to go there for lunch. I then walked down onto the other platform and strolled along it, with 3 minutes to spare. My train came in and I boarded it, able to get a seat for the 3 minute ride back to Chester, which ended up being 6 minutes on 507007. I jumped off at Chester on platform 7b and looked over at platform 3b at Chester to see 175112 leaving on a Llandudno bound train. I began to walk down platform 7, towards the Northern Rail part of Chester where I saw 2 class 150s sat in the 2 platforms, 1 ready to work the slightly delayed 10:59 service to Manchester Piccadilly and the other just sat in platform 5 doing nothing. I walked back to platform 7b and waited for the 11:11 arrival from Liverpool, but it arrived at 11:09. I boarded the train, 507005 ready to do it to Bache. We left on time and arrived at Bache right time. Again I went over the footbridge and down onto platform 1. My train came in, 508134 and taken me back to Chester. I stayed on 508134 back out to Bache, as I was planning to catch the 11:55 train to Crewe and needed to kill some time. It arrived to Bache, where instead of strolling, I sprinted across the footbridge and made the +1 back to Chester on 508108. I then ran over the bridge at Chester and down onto platform 3 before walking up to platform 1 where 150242 arrived to take me to Crewe.
I think that is enough for part 1, part 2 will be soon (hopefully).
Last edited:
