• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A couple of routes....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
30 Jun 2009
Messages
1,133
Location
Nottinghamshire
On a railtour this weekend and for the sake of my mileage I wonder if anyone could suggest a route for the following.......

Firstly from the list of stopping points we have Stockport, Manchester Victoria, Bolton, Originally it was either Manchester Pic or Manchester Vic, but routeing has sent us to Vic.

From the RailMiles Mileage Engine I have got the following route....

Stockport, Heaton Norris Junction, Heaton Chapel, Levenshulme, Slade Lane Junction, Longsight South, Ardwick Junction, Manchester Piccadilly, Manchester Oxford Road, Deansgate, Castlefield Junction, Ordsall Lane Junction, Manchester Deal Street Junction, Manchester Victoria

Manchester Victoria, Manchester Deal Street Junction, Salford Central, Salford Crescent, Agecroft Junction, Clifton, Kearsley, Farnworth, Moses Gate, Burnden Junction, Bolton


Would that be the route you would expect, especially with it still passing through Piccadily and having to go back in the direction it just came from at Victoria?

Secondly we have from the tout itinerary......

and then around the north of Glasgow via Motherwell, Cowlairs and Westerton to join the West Highland Line at Craigendoran Junction.

The routeing I have from RailMiles Mileage Engine I have....

Motherwell, Braidhurst Loop (Down), Braidhurst Loop (Up), Mossend South Junction, Mossend North Junction, Mossend Yard DRS, Whifflet South Junction, Whifflet, Whifflet North Junction, Coatbridge Junction, Coatbridge Central, Coatbridge Freightliner Terminal, Gartsherrie South Junction, Gartcosh Junction, Gartcosh, Stepps, Sighthill East Junction, Springburn, Sighthill West Junction, Cowlairs West Junction, Cowlairs North Junction

Cowlairs North Junction, Ashfield, Possilpark & Parkhouse, Gilshochill, Summerston, Maryhill, Maryhill Park Junction, Westerton


That seems to look OK to me but the only rail maps I can check on are the ones on National Rail Enquires, but they show only passenger routes, so some junctions are not shown.

Like I say, this is for mileage purposes, and I may just have to make a note of the stations we pass through and try and work it out after, but anyone with a little more knowledge of the areas than me may see any mistakes in the above routeing.

Cheers, CSK.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2008
Messages
8,837
There is another route from Stockport to Manchester Victoria which XC have used in the past to get around engineering work between Stockport and Piccadilly. I'm not certain of the exact route, but it uses the Miles Platting end of Victoria going out towards Ashton-Under-Lyne and Stalybridge.

I'm sure a shunt at Ordsall Lane is possible (The Royal train has been to the Manchester Science and Industry Museum in the last year or so apparently and there are sidings accessed from only one line there also), but there would have to be a reversal as it is not a triangular junction.

Ordsall Lane Junction is were the Manchester Piccadilly/Oxford Rd/Deansgate to Preston/Wigan line meets the Manchester Victoria to Liverpool "Chat Moss" line.
 

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,296
For a working from Stockport to Bolton via Manchester Victoria, I would have thought that a route via Heaton Norris, Reddish South, Denton then Ashton Moss and Clayton Vale would have been more straightforward.

Via Manchester Deal Street will require reversing, I think.
 
Joined
30 Jun 2009
Messages
1,133
Location
Nottinghamshire
For a working from Stockport to Bolton via Manchester Victoria, I would have thought that a route via Heaton Norris, Reddish South, Denton then Ashton Moss and Clayton Vale would have been more straightforward.

Via Manchester Deal Street will require reversing, I think.

I would have thought a railtour of 14 hours and 40 minutes start to finish would be avoiding having to stop and reverse somewhere, although being top and tailed?

I assumed there would be a direct route from Stockport to Manchester Victoria and onto Bolton without reversing, but I guess i'll have to wait and see.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top