• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A couple of questions regarding being a driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newapplicant

Member
Joined
21 May 2018
Messages
135
Location
Leeds
Hi all,

Fairly new to the forum, in that, I've not posted too much so be gentle! ;)

I'd love to become a train driver, not just because of the wage but my general interest in trains themselves and I think it's a career that I'd fit into. I have applied to Northern (Yorkshire) a number of times and sadly been dropped not because of my application or assessments but generally due to the posts filling before I could even get a look in. I'm wondering whether there is anything in terms of experience/skills that I can perhaps look into doing so that if and when they do recruit again I might perhaps stand out a little more. My current role within the Police means that I do have quite a varied skillset already but realise that this won't mean much in the terms of driving trains.

I'm also curious to know whether other TOC's such as the freight route might offer driver roles to trainee candidates? I note that Freightliner recently recruited from another post on here but couldn't see any roles anywhere near Yorkshire and again wondered whether if anyone is aware of courses being run nearer to myself? Do freight companies tend to recruit trainee drivers or is it like I suspect that they are looking for fully qualified drivers with a number of years in given the additional responsibilities.

Finally, I've sadly undergone some health issues in the past which I'm now happy to announce I'm fully over but was curious to know if anyone was aware of any kind of medical guidelines in order to advise what medical history would be allowed and what's not? Alternatively, would it be worth contacting the TOC in question or are medicals generally done through your GP and they then report back?

Any help or advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Newapplicant
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

baz962

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2017
Messages
3,670
Freight do indeed take trainees sometimes. The medical is the same for everyone , although any issues will be looked at on a case by case basis. The toc will arrange the medical , but might need to refer to your GP. Usually nothing to worry about.
 

Economist

Member
Joined
24 Feb 2013
Messages
558
One thing I thought was useful in the application process when I was applying a few years back was having a safety-critical hobby. I worked in an office 9-5 so examples of safety-critical work were hard to come by, being able to use examples of what I did in my spare time for competency-based questions likely made me a more favourable candidate than someone with no such background.
 

Applepie356

Member
Joined
23 Sep 2019
Messages
191
Location
UK
Sign up for alerts, but also do keep an eye on the recruitment website as the alerts aren’t very reliable.

Also brush up on your CV, outline skills you have learned from the police (and previous jobs) that relate to the role of train driver. (Example: Following rules and procedures) The hardest part is getting past the initial sift.
 

wobman

Established Member
Joined
2 Jan 2011
Messages
1,233
Look for volunteering on heritage railways in Yorkshire, you gain experience and knowledge that woukd help your application.
 

DaveTM

Member
Joined
25 Mar 2014
Messages
92
Keep applying. Again and again.

Consider the things a TOC/FOC are looking for. They want someone who (1) will be able to do the job, and (2) will stick with the job.

You have alluded to a safety critical background (police). That says you can follow rules, are trainable, are prepared to take responsibility, and can do weird hours. You sound like you will be able to do the job. That's task (1) sorted. Applying again and again is evidence you will stick with a task at hand. That gives the TOC/FOC evidence for task (2).

I estimate I put in between 20 and 30 applications to the various TOCs and FOCs which are within 45 minutes commuting of my home, several to each. Finally, after several casts in the direction of all the TOCs, the most local TOC bit the hook. Funnily enough, as I was partly through their recruitment stages, the next most local TOC also swallowed my hook. I suspect that the initial waste paper basket sift of applicants comes down to (a) put in bin if unsuitable, followed by (b) put in bin if candidate has not shown tenacity by applying several times. I bet very few people get selected on their first application; the timewasters get thrown out, the good candidates get remembered, and the returnee good candidates get through.

Be slightly cautious with how you communicate your earlier health issues. I'd suggest these only need to be announced once the medical stage of the recruitment process is reached, but at that point full and honest openness is paramount. Myself, I had a history of depression which did not get in the way. In 15 years of another (non frontline) career it had resulted in less than a week of time off as a direct result. And frankly my previous career had largely been the cause of the depression. After passing the standard tests, driver manager interview, and MMI interview without any mention of my health, I was given a health questionaire to fill out in preparation for a medical. The questions on this questionaire were relevant. When I spoke to the doctor during the medical, he was happy that I was self-aware as to what was behind my problems, how I watched for a recurrence, and how I would respond if I saw it beginning to happen again.

Best of luck. If you find the railway interesting from the outside, you'll love it from the inside.
 

Manchester101

Member
Joined
2 Dec 2021
Messages
19
Location
Manchester
Hi all,

Fairly new to the forum, in that, I've not posted too much so be gentle! ;)

I'd love to become a train driver, not just because of the wage but my general interest in trains themselves and I think it's a career that I'd fit into. I have applied to Northern (Yorkshire) a number of times and sadly been dropped not because of my application or assessments but generally due to the posts filling before I could even get a look in. I'm wondering whether there is anything in terms of experience/skills that I can perhaps look into doing so that if and when they do recruit again I might perhaps stand out a little more. My current role within the Police means that I do have quite a varied skillset already but realise that this won't mean much in the terms of driving trains.

I'm also curious to know whether other TOC's such as the freight route might offer driver roles to trainee candidates? I note that Freightliner recently recruited from another post on here but couldn't see any roles anywhere near Yorkshire and again wondered whether if anyone is aware of courses being run nearer to myself? Do freight companies tend to recruit trainee drivers or is it like I suspect that they are looking for fully qualified drivers with a number of years in given the additional responsibilities.

Finally, I've sadly undergone some health issues in the past which I'm now happy to announce I'm fully over but was curious to know if anyone was aware of any kind of medical guidelines in order to advise what medical history would be allowed and what's not? Alternatively, would it be worth contacting the TOC in question or are medicals generally done through your GP and they then report back?

Any help or advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Newapplicant

Hi, would you like to send me a DM. I have some info that you might find useful.
Thanks.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top