• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A Confession & Warning About Delay Repay Claims/Fraud - Please Don't Judge

Status
Not open for further replies.

GARY2014

New Member
Joined
12 Nov 2025
Messages
3
Location
LONDON
I'm sharing this story hoping for no judgment, but rather that my experience might stop someone else from going down the same path. The truth set me free, but first, it gave me weeks of sleepless nights.
This is the story of how a harmless-seeming habit spiralled into a full-blown fraud investigation.

I was the "ideal" candidate to game the system: a season ticket holder with completely flexible work patterns. I started claiming Delay Repay not just for genuine delays, but for times I intended to travel. A cancelled train became an opportunity to file a claim. I’d work from home, catch a later train, and tell myself I was a modern-day Robin Hood, robbing from the rich (the train company) and giving to the, well, me.

To be perfectly clear, because I know some people take it further: I always, always travelled on the days I made a claim. I wasn't inventing journeys out of thin air. My justification was that my 'intent' to travel on a specific, cancelled train was enough, even if I simply took a later one.

Let's be clear: I didn't need the money. The refunds were just buying extra coffees or vanishing into the daily grind. I wasn't funding a secret luxury lifestyle; I was just stuck in a weird, petty game against a faceless corporation.

I must have submitted a small mountain of claims over the years. In my mind, I was justified. I even had my arguments ready about the terrible infrastructure—you know, the stations where the gates are permanently open, or the ticket machines that never work. "How can I tap in if the reader is deader than my love for their pricing model?" I'd rant to myself. But stepping back, I had to admit: my sheer volume of claims was my ultimate undoing. I was either the unluckiest commuter in history, or I was, you know, committing fraud.

The email from the train operator's fraud team was the moment the floor dropped out. The words "suspended" and "investigation" were all I could see. The fear was instant and overwhelming. The prospect of a public fraud investigation was terrifying and something I could not risk.

Fighting it felt pointless. The digital paper trail was a mile long. So, I got ahead of it. I hired that solicitor who is mentioned a lot on this very forum for these kinds of issues. His first question was, "Tell me the absolute truth." And I did.

We approached them with a full confession and an offer of restitution. The final settlement was a bitter pill to swallow: I had to repay a large percentage of every single Delay Repay I'd ever received (going back years and years), and a portion of the claims that were never even successful, as they charged an admin cost for investigating all of them. I was paying for my own audit!
I probably could have negotiated harder, but by that point, I just wanted the nightmare to end. Let's just say they had me by the short and curlies.

The relief when it was over was profound. I’ve completely stopped now, even when there are genuine, soul-destroying delays. The temptation is gone.

So, my advice to anyone even thinking about this: It is not worth it. Not for the coffee, not for the principle, not for the thrill. The stress will consume you, and with digital tickets and AI, they will find you. Learn from my very expensive, very stupid mistake(s).

This chapter is closed, and I've never been happier to be just a normal, frustrated, and now completely legitimate, passenger.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Joined
8 May 2017
Messages
5,333
I'm sharing this story hoping for no judgment, but rather that my experience might stop someone else from going down the same path. The truth set me free, but first, it gave me weeks of sleepless nights.
This is the story of how a harmless-seeming habit spiralled into a full-blown fraud investigation.

I was the "ideal" candidate to game the system: a season ticket holder with completely flexible work patterns. I started claiming Delay Repay not just for genuine delays, but for times I intended to travel. A cancelled train became an opportunity to file a claim. I’d work from home, catch a later train, and tell myself I was a modern-day Robin Hood, robbing from the rich (the train company) and giving to the, well, me.

To be perfectly clear, because I know some people take it further: I always, always travelled on the days I made a claim. I wasn't inventing journeys out of thin air. My justification was that my 'intent' to travel on a specific, cancelled train was enough, even if I simply took a later one.

Let's be clear: I didn't need the money. The refunds were just buying extra coffees or vanishing into the daily grind. I wasn't funding a secret luxury lifestyle; I was just stuck in a weird, petty game against a faceless corporation.

I must have submitted a small mountain of claims over the years. In my mind, I was justified. I even had my arguments ready about the terrible infrastructure—you know, the stations where the gates are permanently open, or the ticket machines that never work. "How can I tap in if the reader is deader than my love for their pricing model?" I'd rant to myself. But stepping back, I had to admit: my sheer volume of claims was my ultimate undoing. I was either the unluckiest commuter in history, or I was, you know, committing fraud.

The email from the train operator's fraud team was the moment the floor dropped out. The words "suspended" and "investigation" were all I could see. The fear was instant and overwhelming. The prospect of a public fraud investigation was terrifying and something I could not risk.

Fighting it felt pointless. The digital paper trail was a mile long. So, I got ahead of it. I hired that solicitor who is mentioned a lot on this very forum for these kinds of issues. His first question was, "Tell me the absolute truth." And I did.

We approached them with a full confession and an offer of restitution. The final settlement was a bitter pill to swallow: I had to repay a large percentage of every single Delay Repay I'd ever received (going back years and years), and a portion of the claims that were never even successful, as they charged an admin cost for investigating all of them. I was paying for my own audit!
I probably could have negotiated harder, but by that point, I just wanted the nightmare to end. Let's just say they had me by the short and curlies.

The relief when it was over was profound. I’ve completely stopped now, even when there are genuine, soul-destroying delays. The temptation is gone.

So, my advice to anyone even thinking about this: It is not worth it. Not for the coffee, not for the principle, not for the thrill. The stress will consume you, and with digital tickets and AI, they will find you. Learn from my very expensive, very stupid mistake(s).

This chapter is closed, and I've never been happier to be just a normal, frustrated, and now completely legitimate, passenger.
Welcome to the forum.

One of our rules (which I think is in writing somewhere) is not to be judgemental, and we do try - although we don't always succeed. But even without us importing our own moral values, we live in a world where the railway has substantial legal powers to use against people who haven't followed the rules. And as you have so clearly spelt out, when the railway catches up with someone, the result is thoroughly unpleasant: not only is there a financial settlement to deal with (regardless of whether that's out of court, a penalty fare or a fine from a court - to say nothing of legal fees if you seek professional assistance) but there is the stress of the process and the threat of having the outcome of a court case hanging over their future life.

Thank you for sharing your experience of what it's like to go through the process: I'm not judging but I imagine your conclusion is that you will go quite a long way to avoid having the same happen again. And that's a conclusion which should please pragmatists as well as moral philosophers.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,794
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
To be perfectly clear, because I know some people take it further: I always, always travelled on the days I made a claim. I wasn't inventing journeys out of thin air. My justification was that my 'intent' to travel on a specific, cancelled train was enough, even if I simply took a later one.

It is, as long as you did genuinely intend to travel on that train and did travel as soon as reasonably possible thereafter. (While it's not set in stone, the usual Advance ticket rule of "2 trains before or 2 trains after" is probably a decent guideline to what won't look suspicious, though if you choose the "2 trains before" option then there's no claim as you weren't delayed if you travelled earlier). As you say, if you decide to go in the afternoon instead due to a morning cancellation that probably isn't going to wash.

Some TOCs have been claiming recently that you have to have scanned through the gateline (where present) before the cancelled train to be eligible, but this isn't in the rules at all. You can wake up, look at your phone, see that the 0600 is cancelled, and go back to sleep to catch the 0700 instead if you want. If they investigated that and saw you scanned on the 0600 every day bar the day it was cancelled on which you were on the 0700 instead, then that's probably pretty good evidence that you weren't being fraudulent.

However, looking down the list for the day and finding a cancelled train and thinking you could claim intent to travel on it when you were never really going to is fraud. For a commuter, this is pretty easy to weed out using AI, given that most commuters travel at the same time each day, at least for their outward journey.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,638
Location
LBK
Entirely AI-generated content in the opening post. Not a single human word there.
 

GARY2014

New Member
Joined
12 Nov 2025
Messages
3
Location
LONDON
Entirely AI-generated content in the opening post. Not a single human word there.
Yes - Done on purpose on Ai to be anonymous and not to incriminate myself with details and numbers and out of court settlement numbers.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

It is, as long as you did genuinely intend to travel on that train and did travel as soon as reasonably possible thereafter. (While it's not set in stone, the usual Advance ticket rule of "2 trains before or 2 trains after" is probably a decent guideline to what won't look suspicious, though if you choose the "2 trains before" option then there's no claim as you weren't delayed if you travelled earlier). As you say, if you decide to go in the afternoon instead due to a morning cancellation that probably isn't going to wash.

Some TOCs have been claiming recently that you have to have scanned through the gateline (where present) before the cancelled train to be eligible, but this isn't in the rules at all. You can wake up, look at your phone, see that the 0600 is cancelled, and go back to sleep to catch the 0700 instead if you want. If they investigated that and saw you scanned on the 0600 every day bar the day it was cancelled on which you were on the 0700 instead, then that's probably pretty good evidence that you weren't being fraudulent.

However, looking down the list for the day and finding a cancelled train and thinking you could claim intent to travel on it when you were never really going to is fraud. For a commuter, this is pretty easy to weed out using AI, given that most commuters travel at the same time each day, at least for their outward journey.
Yes - you are correct.

Can't be looking for delays and claiming.
 

superalbs

Verified Rep - Superalbs Travels
Joined
3 Jul 2014
Messages
2,863
Location
Kraków
Yes - Done on purpose on Ai to be anonymous and not to incriminate myself with details and numbers and out of court settlement numbers.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Yes - you are correct.

Can't be looking for delays and claiming.
Doesn't make any sense. You could simply just not write the details and numbers if you didn't want people to know them.

Sorry, but this seems to me like a TOC fraud department making their own anonymous and fake post to try and scare people.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,638
Location
LBK
"Your solicitor" didn't do a very good job if you had to pay compensation for unsuccessful claims! That is not something even the most avaricious TOC has asked for when we've seen delay repay fraud on the forum. Basically, it's "pay X money back, the claims are fake" and that is it.

Sorry, far too many inconsistencies to take the post seriously: "public fraud investigation"? What does that even mean?
 

GARY2014

New Member
Joined
12 Nov 2025
Messages
3
Location
LONDON
Doesn't make any sense. You could simply just not write the details and numbers if you didn't want people to know them.

Sorry, but this seems to me like a TOC fraud department making their own anonymous and fake post to try and scare people.
Fair point.

I just wanted to get what I went through off my chest - writing essays has never been a strong point, so told Ai what happened and asked it to make it anonymous so it doesn't come back to bite me.
 

quartile

Member
Joined
17 Oct 2018
Messages
45
Many people have semi flexible travel patterns and take a variety of different trains in the morning, depending on their schedule at work. They can work both from home and in the office.

If for example I had an hour long meeting at 9am which could take place on Teams or in person - followed by a midday in person only meeting
- Can I claim delay repay for the 7:30 train being cancelled and then travel into work after my 9am meeting in time to make my midday meeting?
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,794
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
- Can I claim delay repay for the 7:30 train being cancelled and then travel into work after my 9am meeting in time to make my midday meeting?

This is one of those very awkward ones that doesn't fit into the wording. I think I wouldn't do it too often, certainly, or would consider applying for discretionary compensation via customer services explaining exactly what I did and why rather than a simple delay claim, then there can't be accusations of dishonesty.

I certainly have gone to the Winchester*, had a pint and waited for it to all blow over before rather than taking the first train after disruption but have put a claim in for having taken the first train I could have done, but I think several hours later starts to get a bit open to being interpreted as dishonest even if not so.

* Other pubs are available, particularly as that one no longer exists!
 

John R

Established Member
Joined
1 Jul 2013
Messages
6,132
Many people have semi flexible travel patterns and take a variety of different trains in the morning, depending on their schedule at work. They can work both from home and in the office.

If for example I had an hour long meeting at 9am which could take place on Teams or in person - followed by a midday in person only meeting
- Can I claim delay repay for the 7:30 train being cancelled and then travel into work after my 9am meeting in time to make my midday meeting?
I wouldn't. It's not a delay, it's a change of plan. If you catch the 8.00 (assuming half hourly) then fine. It's clearly a delay, based on what time the 8.00 got you there.
 

Kilopylae

Member
Joined
9 Jan 2018
Messages
1,111
Location
Uxbridge (ex Devon)
I certainly have gone to the Winchester*, had a pint and waited for it to all blow over before rather than taking the first train after disruption but have put a claim in for having taken the first train I could have done, but I think several hours later starts to get a bit open to being interpreted as dishonest even if not so.

* Other pubs are available, particularly as that one no longer exists!
I've claimed Delay Repay in circumstances where I was travelling from A to C via B and ended up sitting in B railway station, or just outside, until I was confident the problems had cleared up and I wouldn't get stuck on a misery crawl down to C. (B often ends up being Bristol Parkway, Salisbury, or Cheltenham Spa). I'd then claim Delay Repay against the projected arrival time at C based on my actual departure time from A. For example, leave Oxford at 10:00, changing at Reading. Situation at Reading is chaos - wait 2 hours because I have no appetite to be on a train that might get cancelled or held at red signals. Leave Reading at half noon, arrive at final destination 2 hours late - claim for 2 hours delay. I would assume this was valid, because it measures how long I was stuck 'in the railway system' neither at home nor at my destination, but is it? Is there an obligation to 'go as fast as one can' if one wants to claim Delay Repay?
 

Royston Vasey

Established Member
Joined
14 May 2008
Messages
3,000
Location
Cambridge
Fair point.

I just wanted to get what I went through off my chest - writing essays has never been a strong point, so told Ai what happened and asked it to make it anonymous so it doesn't come back to bite me.
How can it? You've supposedly paid back almost everything they ever paid you, plus admin fees.

Go on, I'll bite. How much? To nearest few £hundred...?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top