StrollerEd
Member
- Joined
- 27 May 2011
- Messages
- 180
Plane and train compared ...
My work requires that Im in London about 3 or 4 times a month not a commuter but someone who travels regularly and wants to do that well. By well I mean without hassle, and preferably in peace and quiet so that I can work to justify the fare. I much preferred to use the train even if it took longer as I could work and could enjoy the travel which included a good meal in the restaurant car.
Not now with the EC catering change - but that is on another thread.
So, Ive reverted to the plane and thought I would record the comparison for a trip to attend a meeting in central London that starts at 10.30 for 10.45 thinking that I would normally have used the 5.40am to Kings Cross, as most meetings are about 15 to 30 minutes travel time from there.
Set the alarm for 6.20, a good bit later than the 4.40 wake up call I would have had for the 5.40am train from Waverley. Taxi arrived at 6.50, as pre-booked and I was at the airport in almost the same time as it would have taken to get to the station. I had checked-in the night before and so with boarding card I went straight to the gate and then security. No queue but still a little tedious although I did recall that the July bombs were on buses and underground train and in Madrid it was a train.
Platform 9 was just on the other side of security, and I had a few minutes to wait as it was now 7.25 and I was hungry having skipped breakfast in favour of sleep. So I joined the queue for a Panini and juice and good coffee but had to abandon that as we started boarding almost straight away and so was seated on the plane by 7.35 and we were away on time at 7.45
So I was hungry when the at-seat breakfast arrived. Not big, and no equivalent of the much lamented restaurant car that I used to enjoy on the train, but it - bacon, sausage, egg, tomato and potato cake- gave the appearance of being freshly cooked and was tasty. A bread roll and butter, but no marmalade. A reasonable cup of tea and I managed the milkystick.
Had been told inflight that we might be 15 minutes early into London City. In fact disembarking was much later than landing although I was at the LDR to Canning Town by 9.12 (so still within the scheduled 1 hour 25 minutes.
Then its off on the Docklands Rail with my Oyster Card, opting to go via Bank rather than Jubilee at Canning Town. Irony was that my meeting today was a pleasant walk South of Euston
I arrived at my meeting by 10am, a little ahead of the time I might have donw had I caught that 5.40am from Waverley, having woken at 4.40am rather than 6.20am.
I'm due to fly back tomorrow at about 5pm, so I'll see what I might then get as 'evening snack' delivered at seat and inclusive to the ticket price.
This is just a report not an argued position. Had I taken the train I'm sure I would have finished that PPT for the presentation before I reached my meeting place (where I took 15 minutes to do so) - but hey.
Next visit I will probably re-try the train option, depending upon whether I get a reply from EC Customer Services to the email I sent on 27 May, and/or the one I sent 10 days later to 'firstclass@'
hope the tale was not too tedious
My work requires that Im in London about 3 or 4 times a month not a commuter but someone who travels regularly and wants to do that well. By well I mean without hassle, and preferably in peace and quiet so that I can work to justify the fare. I much preferred to use the train even if it took longer as I could work and could enjoy the travel which included a good meal in the restaurant car.
Not now with the EC catering change - but that is on another thread.
So, Ive reverted to the plane and thought I would record the comparison for a trip to attend a meeting in central London that starts at 10.30 for 10.45 thinking that I would normally have used the 5.40am to Kings Cross, as most meetings are about 15 to 30 minutes travel time from there.
Set the alarm for 6.20, a good bit later than the 4.40 wake up call I would have had for the 5.40am train from Waverley. Taxi arrived at 6.50, as pre-booked and I was at the airport in almost the same time as it would have taken to get to the station. I had checked-in the night before and so with boarding card I went straight to the gate and then security. No queue but still a little tedious although I did recall that the July bombs were on buses and underground train and in Madrid it was a train.
Platform 9 was just on the other side of security, and I had a few minutes to wait as it was now 7.25 and I was hungry having skipped breakfast in favour of sleep. So I joined the queue for a Panini and juice and good coffee but had to abandon that as we started boarding almost straight away and so was seated on the plane by 7.35 and we were away on time at 7.45
So I was hungry when the at-seat breakfast arrived. Not big, and no equivalent of the much lamented restaurant car that I used to enjoy on the train, but it - bacon, sausage, egg, tomato and potato cake- gave the appearance of being freshly cooked and was tasty. A bread roll and butter, but no marmalade. A reasonable cup of tea and I managed the milkystick.
Had been told inflight that we might be 15 minutes early into London City. In fact disembarking was much later than landing although I was at the LDR to Canning Town by 9.12 (so still within the scheduled 1 hour 25 minutes.
Then its off on the Docklands Rail with my Oyster Card, opting to go via Bank rather than Jubilee at Canning Town. Irony was that my meeting today was a pleasant walk South of Euston

I arrived at my meeting by 10am, a little ahead of the time I might have donw had I caught that 5.40am from Waverley, having woken at 4.40am rather than 6.20am.
I'm due to fly back tomorrow at about 5pm, so I'll see what I might then get as 'evening snack' delivered at seat and inclusive to the ticket price.
This is just a report not an argued position. Had I taken the train I'm sure I would have finished that PPT for the presentation before I reached my meeting place (where I took 15 minutes to do so) - but hey.
Next visit I will probably re-try the train option, depending upon whether I get a reply from EC Customer Services to the email I sent on 27 May, and/or the one I sent 10 days later to 'firstclass@'
hope the tale was not too tedious