Egg Centric
Established Member
So... according to threads like this there are various signals pointing to "no one" that need to be on, and presumably with "bulbs" in to prove their aspect for the interlocking.
If this electricity needs to be used anyway, but the illumination itself is superfluous, why not use the electricity for something "useful"? Well, I cannot think of anything useful. But I can think of something that I personally find ridiculous - but it doesn't really matter what I think, the fact is that some people think it's useful and therefore it would at least bring in some revenue - mining cryptocurrency!
What could be done to do this practically with "bulbs" that instead of illuminating, instead power a tiny crypto miner? How many of these bulbs are there on the entire network and what is their likely annual kwh? Are we talking making pennies a year or hundreds of thousands?
How easy is it to make a micro-power miner? Do such exist? Could it be patented and sold to other railways and others that have a need for power to be proven to be used (but no longer needing the power actually used for any specific thing) for safety critical purposes?
(Going to make the one bump I've awarded myself for what, while it's not a serious suggestion, is imo quite a fun discussion idea. If no one responds then I guess it withers on the vine like something something metaphor)
(Oh looks like it's too soon to bump, it's still auto merge. Well I'll do that in the near future then!)
If this electricity needs to be used anyway, but the illumination itself is superfluous, why not use the electricity for something "useful"? Well, I cannot think of anything useful. But I can think of something that I personally find ridiculous - but it doesn't really matter what I think, the fact is that some people think it's useful and therefore it would at least bring in some revenue - mining cryptocurrency!
What could be done to do this practically with "bulbs" that instead of illuminating, instead power a tiny crypto miner? How many of these bulbs are there on the entire network and what is their likely annual kwh? Are we talking making pennies a year or hundreds of thousands?
How easy is it to make a micro-power miner? Do such exist? Could it be patented and sold to other railways and others that have a need for power to be proven to be used (but no longer needing the power actually used for any specific thing) for safety critical purposes?
(Going to make the one bump I've awarded myself for what, while it's not a serious suggestion, is imo quite a fun discussion idea. If no one responds then I guess it withers on the vine like something something metaphor)
(Oh looks like it's too soon to bump, it's still auto merge. Well I'll do that in the near future then!)
Last edited: