• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A BIG thanks to the Forum and a question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sm1

Member
Joined
1 Dec 2012
Messages
8
I was recently offered a position as a Depot driver and accepted the job, I have returned my contract and start next Monday.
I can't say thank you enough to this brilliant forum for all the information available. I didn't register or make a post throughout my whole application/test/interview process as all the doubts and questions I had were already answered within various threads :D and I didn't feel I had anything to contribute at the time.

I only have one question I can't find the answer for and that is:
The TOC has requested 2 personal references in order to gain some form of security passes and to assess my character which is fine and fair enough but the forms seem a little basic and just require a name and signature to confirm I am of good character, then at the bottom of the form there is a tiny space with the heading "Supporting information". At first I thought the space was for my referee's to write a little statement about my character but you could only really fit 2 to 3 lines in the space provided which doesn't seem like enough to describe a persons character so I have only asked my referee's to fill in the first part of the forms just in case I am making a mistake. (maybe I'm over thinking it)

So what am I supposed to get them to put underneath "supporting information" ?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wintonian

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2010
Messages
4,889
Location
Hampshire
I don't tend to pop my head in here but your title caught my eye.

I'm glad people find the forum useful occasionally, and good feedback is always welcome I'm sure. :D
 

Latecomer

Member
Joined
7 Jun 2011
Messages
259
I think the rail industry perhaps expects less extensive references for the driver role than some other industries because there has already been a fairly rigorous recruitment process where you have undergone various assessments. They really only need to know that you are reliable and of good character in addition to what they have already assessed. That said, were the references sent out via email so that if the referees were to type a reply on a pc the box would expand? 2 or 3 lines does seem a little short and if I was a referee I would write "see attached" and write a couple of really brief paragraphs - not too long though.

Congratulations on getting through!
 

Sm1

Member
Joined
1 Dec 2012
Messages
8
That said, were the references sent out via email so that if the referees were to type a reply on a pc the box would expand? 2 or 3 lines does seem a little short and if I was a referee I would write "see attached" and write a couple of really brief paragraphs - not too long though.

Congratulations on getting through!

The forms were posted to me with my offer and contract. They are separate from the previous employment references which were mailed direct to my nominated referees at my previous employer.

Thanks, it really feels like an achievement after being made redundant 2 years ago and struggling with extremely low paid work since then.
 

NHG66

Member
Joined
30 Aug 2012
Messages
102
SM1, really pleased for you mate, here's hoping you can get your life back to normal after the redundancy etc. Best of luck going forward :D

I am awaiting a start date with FGW as a trainee driver, sometime in January they tell me. I am extremely grateful for all the advice I have had directly and all info from previous posts. It is without question that this forum helped me to secure this position and as such I am more than happy to put some stuff back in.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top