• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

9M53 1000 Glasgow Central to London Euston

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Joined
4 Feb 2012
Messages
2,411
Location
Glasgow
Looking at a possible trip to Birmingham in June (not for me), and this seems the most convenient train. (That's tomorrow's equivalent of course).

Is this likely to be a Pendolino or a Voyager?
If the latter, what's likely to be on offer in First Class? I had thought that there was no hot food but I came across a menu:

Voyager: Served start of day until 10:59

A selection of cereal & juices followed by a choice of the following:

Hot breakfast
Vegetarian breakfast v
Sausage or bacon toasted sandwich (only available on Euston – Chester – North Wales route)
Smoked salmon with Caerphilly cheese soufflé
Porridge v
Fresh fruit v

You will also be offered croissants, toast as well as coffee and Fairtrade Tea.

Speaking to others who have made similar 1st Class Voyager journeys at different times led me to question whether I could believe it.

The return journey would be on 9S55 1115 BHM to GLC.

Does this apply to 9S55?
Voyager Warm Light Bites: Served from 11:00 until 16:59, then from 19:00

Enjoy a choice of one seasonal warm snack and two cold snacks followed by a sweet treat
Available on all Anglo-Scot Voyager services north of Preston and also on the North Wales route (except the 19:10 departure from London Euston).

What could have led me to have low expectations of a Voyager trip, even in First? :D
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
30 Jun 2005
Messages
8,879
Location
Rugby
I know normally Realtimetrains showed what the train is timed for but in my experience for Virgin services it shows if it will be a Voyager or a Pendolino.
 

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Joined
4 Feb 2012
Messages
2,411
Location
Glasgow
This is the header I'm seeing for tomorrow's 9M53 in RTT:

Schedule Information

WTT schedule UID P51238, identity 9M53
Runs SSuX between 26/01/2015 to 15/05/2015
Service code 22114001, headcode 3600
Express Passenger

Operational Information

Schedule from ITPS
Timed for 125mph max
Pathed as Diesel Multiple Unit

Passenger Information

Retail Service ID VT3600
Seating: first & standard
Reservations available
Restaurant for First Class passengers

Am I missing something? Is the clue in the "restaurant"?
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
It should be voyager on 9M53 and Pendo on 9S55.

As matt says, RTT usually says if it is a 390 or 221.
 
Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,789
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Am I missing something? Is the clue in the "restaurant"?

The clue is in the "Pathed as Diesel Multiple Unit" - that'll be diagrammed a Voyager, it'll say something like Electric Multiple Unit for a Pendo.

Edit: If it's diagrammed Pendo it'll say Pathed as Class 390 (I just checked)
 
Last edited:

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Joined
4 Feb 2012
Messages
2,411
Location
Glasgow
The clue is in the "Pathed as Diesel Multiple Unit" - that'll be diagrammed a Voyager, it'll say something like Electric Multiple Unit for a Pendo.

Edit: If it's diagrammed Pendo it'll say Pathed as Class 390 (I just checked)

:oops: Yes, the "diesel" part is a fairly strong clue! Sorry.

I shall go and stand in the Smelly Corner (outside the Voyager toilet) and read the header a bit more carefully in future.
 

CallySleeper

Established Member
Joined
27 Jun 2006
Messages
1,662
Location
trentbartonland
The clue is in the "Pathed as Diesel Multiple Unit" - that'll be diagrammed a Voyager, it'll say something like Electric Multiple Unit for a Pendo.

Edit: If it's diagrammed Pendo it'll say Pathed as Class 390 (I just checked)

Pathed as one thing doesn't by any means guarantee that's what it's diagrammed for. Fortunately in this case the diagrams agree with what RTT says.
 

causton

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2010
Messages
5,504
Location
Somewhere between WY372 and MV7
Pathed as one thing doesn't by any means guarantee that's what it's diagrammed for. Fortunately in this case the diagrams agree with what RTT says.

Yes, VTEC and VTWC (coincidentally of course!) both are very reliable, if it says pathed for an HST it will 99% be one from what I've seen, unless the proverbial hits the fan!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top