• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

96tommy's Travels

Status
Not open for further replies.

96tommy

Member
Joined
18 May 2010
Messages
1,076
Location
London
The Warmest July Day on Record

With a warm day forecasted, I made the decision to go to Birmingham for the day to try and catch some 68's and some needed London Midland units.

The day started off at Leeds with teh temperature rising by the second. First up was 1V50 to Plymouth which I would take as far as New Street. 43301 was the leading loco. The journey was smooth and we quickly made up the few minutes behind the train was on arrival at Leeds. An announcement came over that Coach E had no air condiotning which saw an influx of passengers into Coach D where I was situated. However, the train crew was well prepared for the warm weather which was forecast and gave out plenty of free bottles of water to all passenger. The journey went by without much excitement but on passing Derby, I noted 56303, 56104, 47596, 31271, 50021 and 45060.

Into the dark New Street we arrived and I made my way over to Moor Street. There were delays on the Chiltern Mainline so the first 68 to arrive would be at least 20 minutes late but my last 168/2, 168218 was stabled in Platform 3. In pooring rain (which lasted only 2 minutes however but brought some lovely coolness), 68013 was the first 68 seen. I noted the next 68 booked diagram was also delayed and in fact would terminate at Moor Street rather than Snow Hill. This was 68014. Happy with the 2 68's copped I wanted to make my way over to Tyseley for an hour before the next one was due in at 3. The train to Dorridge however was 10 minutes down and would be running non stop to Dorridge. Knowing I wouldn't have enough time to get to Tyseley if I waited for tthe one in 30 minutes, I got the 37 bus from outside the station which took me straight there.

A quick half hour at Tyseley proved to be very productive, 66007 was seen on a car train before 66517 on an intermodal. The best though was just before I left with the recently repainted 66528 on a Cliffe to Hinksey engineers. I jumped on 153365 (which was coulpled to 170635) back to Moor Street. We passed 66741.

Having seen many shots on Flickr from Moor Street car park, I decided to have a quick look. The sun was out and perfect for photos but my smile was soon wiped off when it was discovered a 168 had subsituted the booked 68. Enough was enough, it was too warm so I made my way to Sutton Coldifeld so I could get to Walmley where I would be stopping the night. I jumped on 323215 at New Street. It was packed, stuffy and unpleasant. An announcement came over the tannoy that due to overhead wire problems at Aston, the Cross City line was supended. Great. Another bus was therefore needed and I jumped on the 115 which took me the long way to Walmley.

There seemed to be a communication breakdown between National Express West Midlands and London Midland. LM saying train tickets were valid on NXWM and NXWM's twitter page agreeing. The driver of the 115 however was having none of it. It didn't affect me as I had a West Midlands Daytripper but the bus passed many stations were services were suspended (Erdington, Gravelly Hill, Chester Road, Aston) and at a rough guess, 25 were refused travel and had to pay up.

Pictures to follow!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
I was actually doing a WMDT for part of the day too! I was coming off 68014 from Leam but then it was a wait for the Stourbridge Jcn train which was packed (due to it being a single 172/2). The reason I was going down was to meet up with dad on the 15:55 for a bit of 68 thrash back to Leamington. Instead it was a 168 which got caught up in problems around Dorridge.

Sounds like a good day though!
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
A good day in the Midlands, shame about the 68 not producing though! I have no idea where Walmley is admittedly!
 

96tommy

Member
Joined
18 May 2010
Messages
1,076
Location
London
010 Today

The day started off with 2 bus trips to get me into Brum. I'm not a bus man myself and know as much as a single and double decker..... The bus routes were the 71 to Walmley then the 115 into the city where I got off at The Square Peg to take a short walk to Snow Hill.

First up was a trip to Stourbridge. 172213 was teh first unit of the day, delayed by 15 minutes in traditonal London Midland fashion becuase of a driver shortage. We were soon on the move however and before long was passing 68014 stabled at Stourbridge Jcn sidings and into the station where I hoped on 139002 for the short trip to Stourbridge Town and back. What odd units these are. A bus on wheels and the ride is extremely bumpy. Can't imagine what it was like when the 153's were running this shuttle.

Back on 172213 this time I headed to Moor Street to change onto a UID 172 to take me to Tyseley where like Wednesday, 66741 "Swanage Railway" was once again passed. In the half an hour I was there, 2 freight were seen in the forms of 66558 and 66017. 558 was on a Freightliner from Crewe to Southampton whereas 66017 was on a car train to Garston.

I had a choice to get a photo of 68010 at Tyseley or from the Moor Street Car Park. After my failed attempt on Wednesday when there was a unit subsituting for the 68, I once again opted for the car park so jumped on (you guessed it) 153365 (again...) back to Moor Street. Real Time Trains is great for days like this when you are looking to see where the train is and seeing it had only just departed Leamington nearly 25 late, I headed into the world of Selfridges before walking over the footbridge linking the car park and Selfridges just in time to get the shot I had been waiting for.

A trip to Birmingham is never completed without a ride on the futuristic sounding 323's. I caught 323215 to Sutton Coldfield from New Street. The 15:15 in front had broken down so we were delayed by about 10 minutes but soon made our way through the suburbs of Aston and Erdington, below Spaghetti Junction and into Sutton Coldfield.

Going home today (Saturday) so photos will follow
 
Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
I really must look up this footbridge, sounds like it could be a good spot to get a couple of snaps.

I haven't done a 323 on my recent trips to Birmingham admittedly. I used to all the time on the homeward journey, only to University though, to pick up the Hereford there. This was a few years ago now mind, ever since I got my last 323 I don't have a spin so often now. Next time I go I should be having a spin though, it's been too long.

As for the 153s on the Stourbridge Shuttle, it wasn't actually too bad a ride! Bizarre of course at the time having a 153 on such a short journey, but a highlight of a WMDR at the time too, scoring 153s almost every time.
 

96tommy

Member
Joined
18 May 2010
Messages
1,076
Location
London
As promised the first lot of photos from the trip. Mainly 68's so far with the added bonus of a 47 which was seen from my Voyager on my way back to York yesterday. Will post more photos over this week as I have got nothing planned as of yet.

19426731692_fcfbb351ef_z.jpg


18796033693_f19b76ee62_z.jpg


18762306163_5f953f8f81_z.jpg


19167523158_63f0fed1d5_z.jpg


19141817149_654c406fc9_z.jpg
 

96tommy

Member
Joined
18 May 2010
Messages
1,076
Location
London
London, Floods and Football

Back in Tadcaster for Christmas, flooding hit on Boxing Day then a few days later, the 300 year old bridge linking the two sides of the town collapsed and most shops have been closed. Therefore I felt it was time for a trip. Even though I wasn't due back to Uni until the 13th January, I decided to go and see Watford v Newcastle with the excuse of taking some suitcases back.

It was nice to get out of the flood hit town and on Friday 8th January, I got the 14:02 from York to Newark formed of 91116. Newark is a station I've passed through 100's of times but never had a reason to get off. When looking for tickets, I noticed it would be cheaper to get a York to Newark then Newark to London ticket. This meant an hour wait at Newark but I wasn't going to complain for the £7.50 the trip cost me,

The journey from York to Newark was uneventful. I found a seat in Coach D of the empty train and we were soon on our way. Even though an all stopper, the train is quiet as it is one of 3 London trains to leave York in 10 minutes. On an empty train I usually sit in the priority seat which has plenty of legroom and I can keep an eye on the suitcase. Passing flooded fields, we arrive at Doncaster. The following Grand Central HST speeds past us as we stop in Platform 3.

Cold, wet and windy weather greeted me on arrival at Newark and I headed straight for Costa Coffee to pass the time. A Freightliner 66/6 came flying south and 91111 in the beautiful For the Fallen train sped north. This was my first time out of Yorkshire in nearly a month and ringing home it turned out I had left sunshine behind.

At 15:30 91129 pulled into Platform 3 and once again the train was quiet despite it being non stop. Not scheduled to depart until 15:52 and knowing the doors would be open I headed towards the middle of the coach where there was less of a breeze. I had a table of 4 to myself through to King's Cross. It is not often I travel towards London in rush hour and the many commuter trains passing north between Stevenage and the Cross were full and standing, I couldn't help feeling smug sat in the comfort of a table seat.

Down to the Underground level, the thought of dragging a suitcase through rush hour London wasn't one which filled me with joy. Heading to Mile End, I noticed there wasn't a Hammersmith and City line train in at least the next 3 tube trains so I caught a Metropolitan Line S8 to Liverpool Street and a Central Line from there.

9th January
The day started at 6am. I am an awful sleeper and go to sleep late and wake up early so since I didn't want to get to Watford until around 1:30, I decided to spend the morning having a wonder around London. Having now lived here for 6 months, I am very familiar with the city but once a week, I make sure I have a walk around the centre as it still gives me a buzz and after 4 weeks at home, it was a while since I toured this fascinating city. 12:00 came and I walked from Hyde Park to Paddington then on the tube to Euston Square. It was on the tube however I had a brain wave. The Metropolitan Line was one I had never been on north of Finchley Road so I decided to take this trip to Watford instead of a London Midland train.

I departed the Circle Line S7 and walked to the Met platforms having a 15 minute wait for the next Watford service. The S8 was already in the platform and I got on the rear and decided to walk to the front. The S7 and S8 are definitely an upgrade on the stock they have replaced, the are light and I am always disappointed when a D Stock instead of a S7 turns up.

The journey to Watford passed in no time and I walked into the town centre before heading to the ground.

The away end was bouncing but it couldn't help another defeat for us. Not gone pass the 4th round in 10 years now.

20:00 from King's Cross was the time I was booked on. The rain was unreal and even though I was 20 rows back and under cover, I was still soaked. I was on 350129 within 20 minutes of leaving the ground to take me the short distance from Watford Junction to Euston. Back into the capital at 18:00 I headed to Eddies's Fish and Chip restaurant neat Kin's Cross awaiting time.

After what seemed like a long time was only 18:45. I decided to head over to King's Cross to see if the guard would let me onto the 19:00. He did and I found a seat in Coach E which I had to myself all the way up North. This was an unusual train as it was non stop to York then non stop to Newcastle as it was diverted via Sunderland due to engineering works north of Darlington.

Both Newcastle and Sunderland were playing around London on the day and I was surprised to find the train so quiet.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
Looks like you had a good time, despite the rain. I too love London and, having just been, I can't wait to go again!

It's quite the walk into town from Watford LU!
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
How long does it take from central London to Watford out of interest?

A great read, that's for sure. I'm sure you were glad to be allowed on the 19:00 out of the Cross instead of 20:00! Very good on VTECs part.
 

96tommy

Member
Joined
18 May 2010
Messages
1,076
Location
London
How long does it take from central London to Watford out of interest?

A great read, that's for sure. I'm sure you were glad to be allowed on the 19:00 out of the Cross instead of 20:00! Very good on VTECs part.

VTEC were great! 20 minutes by LM from Euston, 50 minutes on the tube from Baker Street and over an hour by Overground from Euston
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
Thanks! Shame the tube doesn't have much competition with LM though.
 

Kristofferson

Member
Joined
23 Nov 2012
Messages
1,132
Hope you enjoyed your trip to my neck of the woods :) I don't follow football, but feel like I should support the local team!

Mr Fish, the Met line will be a more realistic option once it goes to Watford Junction instead of Watford Met (which is in the middle of flippin' nowhere, connection-wise).
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
Are there plans to extend it?
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
Thanks for the info!
 

96tommy

Member
Joined
18 May 2010
Messages
1,076
Location
London
Capital Day

It was 6:50 am and as the numerous alarms sounded, I awoke, packed my bag and it was off for the short walk to Mile End station to catch the Central Line the one stop to Bethnal Green. Even though it was only 7:15, plenty of commuters packed the train with me being one of only a few to leave at Bethnal Green where I took a short walk to the Mainline Station.

The sun rose and the light gleamed off the buildings in the square mile. This was my first time doing Bethnal Green at rush hour and I photographed away, trying to get all the numbers from the 6 lines that pass the station. After an hour in the cold but dry and clear conditions, I caught 315817 the one stop to London Liverpool Street. Wanting to avoid the tube at this busy hour, I caught the 149 to London Bridge.

I walked to the end of Platform 3 and this provided an excellent viewing point of all the movements coming in and out of this busy station. The staff were really friendly too which is the opposite of my last visit here. However after another 45 minutes and shivering, I jumped on 376005 for the short journey to Cannon Street and caught a S7 to Embankment and the Bakerloo to Waterloo before jumping on a UID 458/5 to Clapham Junction.

These trains were dirty inside and looked like they needed a good clean and I was happy to be off at Clapham Junction were by chance I bumped into someone who I see regularly at Doncaster. 70802 and 2x73's saw the only freight action of the hour I was there and I decided to make more of an advantage to my travelcard.

Grabbing 378203 to Wandsworth Road, I jumped on a 87 to Vauxhall Bus Station, Victoria Line to Stockwell, Northern to Elephant and Castle then 319373 to Blackfriars and 387105 to Farringdon. Blackfriars and Farringdon are my 2 favourite stations in the capital after King's Cross. "The Cross" will always be my favourite as before moving down here, it was the gateway to the capital for me as I lived near York. Blackfriars offers superb views over the river whereas Farringdon is light and Underground and Thameslink services depart in close proximity giving a wide range of traction.

A station I had never visited before was Royal Oak so I jumped on a S7 to do some spotting of the movements in and out of Paddington. After 10 minutes however, an announcement came over the tannoy saying all services were suspended. 165124 squealed to a halt outside the station and it was clear something was wrong.
We left, ducking under police tape as it became apparent somebody was threatening to jump off the bridge that crosses the GWML and Underground lines. Therefore I decided to call it a day, it is not often I do a full day spotting and with the time now approaching 4pm, I jumped on a diverted 36 alighting at Marble Arch and catching a Central Line back through the rush hour traffic to Mile End.
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
Some good variety there, shame about the end of the day going wrong with the GWML. A betty and two EDs in an hour at Clapham isn't bad going, that's for sure. On my first trip with a 458/5, I found them to be very clean inside and very good units. Each for there own though! I enjoyed the read.
 

96tommy

Member
Joined
18 May 2010
Messages
1,076
Location
London
Now living back home near York until the end of September, I have been able to get out some more.

West Yorkshire Day Rover

The day started off with 185139 which I took as far as Huddersfield from Leeds. Getting off here, lots of filming was taking place focusing on the infamous station cat but I didn't have time to linger and was straight on 156486 towards Marsden. A short walk from the station up the Pennines gives wonderful views of the trains and I was llucky enough to see 185123 in the new Trans Pennine Express Livery in my time here. A short walk back to the station and jumping on board 156490 to get me to Huddersfield in time for the 11:50 to Halifax where I would grab some lunch. 153330 and 150147 were in the platfrom and I jumped on the 153 for the short hop to Halifax where I found a Burger King 5 minutes walk away from the station.

legging it back to the station, I only just made 155343 which I stayed on through to Leeds. Looking at the departure board, I noticed the Ilkley local was stopping at Kirkstall Forge, I didn't even know this station was open but jumped on board to arrive there with some press hanging about, it turned out it had only opened that morning!

333007 took me there and 333004 took me back before I jumped on 91104 as far as Wakefield Westgate walking to Kirkgate and jumping on 158904 to Leeds. A good day all round. Make sure to look at the photos on my website!

Can't compain for Leeds - Huddersfield - Marsden - Huddersfield - Halifax - Leeds - Kirkstall Forge - Leeds - Wakefield Westgate - Wakefield Kirkgate - Leeds for a little over £7!




Trains and Buses

The year had gone quick and the 1st July was quickly upon us. Unlike last year where it was the hottest day recorded in Britain in recent times, this year it was damp and grey. As some of you may be aware, the town in which I live Tadcaster suffered terribly during the winter floods the bridge collapsing splitting the town in 2 what can make it a right pain to get anywhere but fortunately York is still relatively easy to get to, albeit with a reduced bus service.

After catching the bus into York (Volvo B10BLE Wright Renown YD02 UMX for the bus fans) I headed off to the station and straight away saw 66186 crawling through Platform 5 with an engineering train bound for Tyne. After a quick stroll to the NRM (and catching 91101 in the Flying Scotsman livery) I caught a new service for me, CityZap to Leeds (Volvo B7TL/Wright Eclipse Gemini YL02 ZAP). As comfy as it was the lack of passengers on this journey and most others I've seen suggests to me it won't be here to last much longer....


Photos here:
West Yorkshire Day Ranger - http://tommysrailwayphotos.wix.com/tommysrailwaypics#!27th-june-west-yorkshire-day-rover/wxvbx

York - http://tommysrailwayphotos.wix.com/tommysrailwaypics#!1st-july-york/d8ory
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
Sounds like a fun time there again! Well done at getting Kirkstall Forge on the day of opening too!

Looking at the photos, I'm really jealous of you seeing 66619 - it's my last required FL 66 for sight.
 

96tommy

Member
Joined
18 May 2010
Messages
1,076
Location
London
Birmingham Blues

It was just after 9 as the Cross Country HST appeared into view from Leeds Platform 12 with the 09:11 to Plymouth. Many leapt off the train on their daily travels to the many offices in the city leaving many available seat. A priority seat with a good window view was easily found. I always aim for a priority seat if I have a laptop but only if the train is quiet and always offer to those who need it more, I just find table seats to cramped. The interior of the HST was much nicer to the usual Voyager I catch, light, clean and quiet. No rattling or smells of toilet in here.....

The journey soon passed by and before long we was arriving into the dark tunnels of New Street. The concourse however is much more improved and now a suitable entrance to a major city for passengers travelling there. After passing through the sea of ticket gates, I made my way to the Ian Allan shop, however they had sold out of the NREA book I wanted. Therefore, I made my way to Moor Street where to my delight, a cop! Not many of them these days but 68008 "Avenger" arrived from Marylebone, it's shiny blue compass livery making a change the usual CHiltern two tone grey I am used to seeing here.

I jumped on 172336 to Tyseley and straight away 66541 and 66722 passed through in quick succession shortly followed by 68008 heading back to London. Getting a photo of the 68 from the bridge meant I missed my train back to Moor Street so instead jumped on a 37 bus to the station, using the Daytripper I had bought from New Street on arrival into Brum.

Tram 34 was my next mode of transport from Grand Central to Bull Street, providing quick access between New Street and Snow HIll before jumping on 172342 to Moor Street. It was soon time for the next booked 68, this time in the form of 68010. My aim was to photo it from Moor Street Car Park so with an hour to spare, I walked around Bullring, a modern shopping centre which is next door to Moor Street and grabbing a very late lunch, I headed to the Car Park where to my delight, the sun decided to show up and a sunny shot was to be had.

Photos at: http://tommysrailwayphotos.wix.com/tommysrailwaypics#!13th-july-birmingham/k9umr
 
Last edited:

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
A good read so far and I'm looking forward to the rest! Some good photos there too!
 

96tommy

Member
Joined
18 May 2010
Messages
1,076
Location
London
Shrewsbury Stopper

This is not a spotting trip but trains were involved!

After catching the bus into town (Wright Streetlite Diamond 32308 SK16GXJ for the bus fans), a quick 20 minutes watching the trams in rush hour action led me to the Ian Allan shop once more, bingo, the NREA book was in!

After buying a return to Shrewsbury I had 10 minutes to spare so looked around the newly refurbished concourse at New Street and can't get over how much an improvement it is, a fitting welcome to a city.
London Midland170632 was the first train of the day. Departure was slightly delayed due to the late running of serveral services meaning a clear path was not gained but we were soon on our way, stations came and went and over an hour later we arrived at Shrewsbury.

On the way back, I had a decision to make, Arriva Trains Wales or Virgin. On the basis that Voyagers are without doubt the worst piece of express stock on British rails I headed for the 158 stood on Platform 4. This was Arriva Trains Wales 158824 which a few minutes earlier had arrived from Holyhead. Another 158 joined from Aberystwyth and the now 4 car train left. This was my first journey on a refurbished ATW 158 and was very impressed, comfortable seats are a treat these days so it was nice to rest after a good few hours of walking around the beautiful town.

Wellington, Telford, Wolverhampton and Smethwick Galton Bridge were the only stops for this service and somehting I missed on the inbound run was the imposing runway at Cosford who's RAF Museum I had visited a few years ago. We were on time all the way back and despite it approaching rush hour had a clear run from Smethwick to New Street. It was here where I discovered a design fault, I had 3 minutes to change trains for Platform 2B to 8B but unless I missed something, I had to go out of one ticket barrier then through an other which added 30 seconds onto the walk between platforms but I guess it is more time to get some fresh air compared to the polluted fumes at platform level. Walking down the escalator, the unmistakeable sound of a 323 was heard and it was indeed London Midland 323219 which would take me as far as Sutton Coldfield.

Photos at: http://tommysrailwayphotos.wix.com/tommysrailwaypics#!15th-july-shrewsbury/ph7f6
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
The barriers at New Street are absolutely ridiculous. For changing platforms, always use the B end or Navigation St footbridge (which won't have access to one platform every now and then. It's currently platform 12 that you can't get to from Navigation St footbridge).

A good read!
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
A design fault at Birmingham New St ? The whole station's now a design fault. :lol:

Agreed, and we all moaned about Newport and *that* bridge at the time for being bad. New Street, well, let's not go there with my views on it again, except to say they ruined one of my most favourite stations (yes, someone did like it!) in the UK. Now look at it, give me a bulldozer and let's start again! <(

Couple of good little trips there I see, and 68008 seems to have an annoying habit of producing when I don't want it to! :lol:
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
Couple of good little trips there I see, and 68008 seems to have an annoying habit of producing when I don't want it to! :lol:
Now on 719.50 miles for me!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top