• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

7 day travelcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcsprior

Member
Joined
28 Aug 2012
Messages
862
Location
Edinburgh (Fri-Mon) & London (Tue-Thu)
In a few weeks time, I'll be down in London for long enough to make a travelcard the most economical option. I'd like a paper one (which I believe means buying Z1-6, even though I only need Z1-5 as I'm not going further out than East Croydon?) in order to take advantage of the 2-for-1 offers into tourist attractions which I believe aren't available on Oyster.

Is it possible to buy one from the EastCoast website (in order to get reward points) by entering something specific into the search screen?

Also, does anyone know if both the people taking advantage of the 2-for-1 ticket offer need paper rail tickets, or only one? My Fiancée will be joining me for some of the time, and its probable that Oyster will be marginally cheaper for her.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
I didn't know that you could buy season tickets on East Coast.

The code for Zones 1-5 is 0064.
 

OwlMan

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2008
Messages
3,206
You both need tickets

from FAQ at days out guide
How many train tickets are required per voucher?
Whilst you will only need one attractions voucher between 2 people, both people need to hold valid train tickets for the day of their visit.

see http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/ for full FAQ and T&C
 
Last edited:

tony_mac

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2009
Messages
3,626
Location
Liverpool
If you have tickets to and from London, as well as a paper travelcard, that is two sets of tickets.
You could also try and buy two cheap advance/single tickets that span the visit.
(Not that they do anything but check you have a bit of orange card anyway!).

Whether tickets are transferable for non-rail purposes is a whole different question, though ;)
 

dcsprior

Member
Joined
28 Aug 2012
Messages
862
Location
Edinburgh (Fri-Mon) & London (Tue-Thu)
I didn't know that you could buy season tickets on East Coast.

The code for Zones 1-5 is 0064.

Ah, in my head I'd actually not been thinking of these as being a season ticket - as you can get them from machines and don't need a photocard :oops:.

I can't see any way to buy from EC using that code, which makes sense if they don't sell seasons online.

If you have tickets to and from London, as well as a paper travelcard, that is two sets of tickets.
You could also try and buy two cheap advance/single tickets that span the visit.
(Not that they do anything but check you have a bit of orange card anyway!).

Whether tickets are transferable for non-rail purposes is a whole different question, though ;)

Thanks, I'd assumed the tickets needed to be dated the same as the visit. We both already have advances from Edinburgh to/from Kings Cross either side of the weekend so that should do.

However our rail tickets are Print@Home. The FAQ and T&Cs don't seem to rule these out, but I've asked them via Facebook to confirm this is OK so I've got something to print out in case of any problems on the day.
 

thomas43009

New Member
Joined
28 Nov 2012
Messages
3
Ah, in my head I'd actually not been thinking of these as being a season ticket - as you can get them from machines and don't need a photocard :oops:.

You will need a photocard as that if a Revenue protection inspector comes around and ask for it then they may penalty fare you, as that it means it could be passed on to any one (if you know what i mean)
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
Yes, those bought from National Rail outlets require a Photocard, even if bought from the machines. Those held on Oyster do not.
 

dcsprior

Member
Joined
28 Aug 2012
Messages
862
Location
Edinburgh (Fri-Mon) & London (Tue-Thu)
You will need a photocard as that if a Revenue protection inspector comes around and ask for it then they may penalty fare you, as that it means it could be passed on to any one (if you know what i mean)

Yes, those bought from National Rail outlets require a Photocard, even if bought from the machines. Those held on Oyster do not.

Thanks, that could've got me in trouble.

If our existing print@home tickets work for the offer, then I won't bother getting a paper travelcard, and will instead add a Z1-5 ticket to my Oyster that week (and Angela will stick with PAYG on Oyster)
 

dcsprior

Member
Joined
28 Aug 2012
Messages
862
Location
Edinburgh (Fri-Mon) & London (Tue-Thu)
Thanks, I'd assumed the tickets needed to be dated the same as the visit. We both already have advances from Edinburgh to/from Kings Cross either side of the weekend so that should do.

However our rail tickets are Print@Home. The FAQ and T&Cs don't seem to rule these out, but I've asked them via Facebook to confirm this is OK so I've got something to print out in case of any problems on the day.

I didn't get a reply to the query I sent via Facebook, but both places we used the tickets/vouchers accepted the print@home tickets dated either side of the date we were visiting without any hesitation,
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top