• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

60% increase in 16-25 railcard holders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brucey

Member
Joined
7 Jan 2010
Messages
671
At the moment, I can't see me renewing my railcard at the end of the year. My only rail expenditure has been short journeys (e.g. a £1.30 Oyster PAYG fare). With no rovers planned this year, I don't expect to save more than the railcard cost.

I've recently moved and the train isn't practical for my regular "commute". Here are some figures I posted recently on another forum:

Train
Cranfield University - Milton Keynes Central by bus: 1 hour; £2.50 single
(Note: no bus on Sundays, except for a single shuttle paid by the university once per day, which calls at the station around 4pm)
Milton Keynes Central - London Euston by train: 40 minutes; £13 return
Euston - Waterloo by tube: 25 minutes; £1.30 single
London Waterloo - Havant: 1 hour 20 minutes; £21 return
Taxi (because it is normally around 10:30pm) to home: 20 minutes; £7 single

Total time: 3 hours and 45 minutes not including any walking, connection time or rest breaks. Easily 4.5 to 5 hours in total.
Total cost: £55.60 return (including a railcard discount)
Luggage: whatever I can carry

Driving
Time: 2 hours and 15 minutes, including a 10 minute stop at services
Cost: roughly £15 each way, so £30 total
I would have paid for the insurance anyway, so I'm not including this in the cost. In any case, this is about £1.50 per day, assuming I use the car everyday.
Luggage: whatever will fit in the car (about three times what I can carry, in terms of volume)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top