• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

58050, 60100, 91131, 2xDBSOs, What next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boothby97

Established Member
Joined
24 Apr 2011
Messages
1,754
Location
Cleethorpes
I have heard recently (from RAIL, Todays Railway's, RM and RE) that 58050, 91131, 60100 and two Driving Brake Standard Opens are to join the National Collection (of which the NRM are part of), so these cannot be scrapped.
What other locos/stock do you think should also or may also join the National Collection?
Thanks, Sam
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
Joined
24 May 2009
Messages
1,660
Location
Greater London
I have heard recently (from RAIL, Todays Railway's, RM and RE) that 58050, 91131, 60100 and two Driving Brake Standard Opens are to join the National Collection (of which the NRM are part of), so these cannot be scrapped.
What other locos/stock do you think should also or may also join the National Collection?
Thanks, Sam

Not anytime soon but I think Networkers should be part of the NRM collection.

465001, 465201, 165001, 166201, and 365501. I consider them to be a part of history and suburban development of Network SouthEast.

Another one would be a full HST set, I feel these are as historic as the A4s (like 'mallard' in particular).

Oh and a Class 59 and Class 66 as they were a major development.
 

Boothby97

Established Member
Joined
24 Apr 2011
Messages
1,754
Location
Cleethorpes
I believe a 08, 56, 57, 59, 73 ,90 and 92 are important, aswell as a Pacer (sorry) and maybe the two prototype 150s.
Thanks, Sam
 

GearJammer

Member
Joined
12 Nov 2009
Messages
897
Location
On the Southern
I agree with the 59, a 66 would be nice but at the end of the day it just carries on the story from the 59 and when space is at at premium is there room for both?
Ref the HST, a whole train would be good and they are iconic (well i think so). Its also been sugested that a diesel should be sectioned, when one comes available would a HST power car not be suitable, if the NRM has a whole HST then needless to say it won't be present at the museum but out and about earning its keep, so to section an HST power car would mean that an iconic locomotive is always present at the museum while at the same time teaching people the workings of a diesel loco.
As for EMU/DMU's i think a 158 should get preserved, for no other reason than they are widespread and are a good representation of modern units.
 

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,579
Location
Macclesfield
Not anytime soon but I think Networkers should be part of the NRM collection.

465001, 465201, 165001, 166201, and 365501. I consider them to be a part of history and suburban development of Network SouthEast.

Another one would be a full HST set, I feel these are as historic as the A4s (like 'mallard' in particular).

Oh and a Class 59 and Class 66 as they were a major development.
That list is rather Networker heavy, though judging by your username I would imagine that you are a little biased in your choice! :D

The NRM only have a limited amount of space in which to securely store and to display items of historical interest and their problems over the last couple of decades with having insufficient space to keep all the items of the national collection as would be fitting of their historical importance have been well documented , so their should be a very selective attitude to their future preservation activities.

In the future, IMO the NRM should look to preserve 150001, 165001, 465001, 59001 and 66001, as well as a class 92.

I think that if anyone were to preserve an entire HST set, it would be the 125 Group we would be looking to, and the NRM would be more likely to take on just a single production power car; 43002 or 43198.

I was extremely disappointed that the NRM refused to take on 56006 when it was offered as not being historically significant enough.

It's been known for some time that 58050 was destined for a place in the National Collection, I am however very surprised that the NRM wish to take on two DBSOs, what with their limited space for storage and display outlined above.
 

GearJammer

Member
Joined
12 Nov 2009
Messages
897
Location
On the Southern
That list is rather Networker heavy, though judging by your username I would imagine that you are a little biased in your choice! :D

The NRM only have a limited amount of space in which to securely store and to display items of historical interest and their problems over the last couple of decades with having insufficient space to keep all the items of the national collection as would be fitting of their historical importance have been well documented , so their should be a very selective attitude to their future preservation activities.

In the future, IMO the NRM should look to preserve 150001, 165001, 465001, 59001 and 66001, as well as a class 92.

I think that if anyone were to preserve an entire HST set, it would be the 125 Group we would be looking to, and the NRM would be more likely to take on just a single production power car; 43002 or 43198.

I was extremely disappointed that the NRM refused to take on 56006 when it was offered as not being historically significant enough.

It's been known for some time that 58050 was destined for a place in the National Collection, I am however very surprised that the NRM wish to take on two DBSOs, what with their limited space for storage and display outlined above.

I can see more than one complete HST being preserved, so i would'nt rule out the NRM having a whole train, maybe with a spare power car as i said above.
Im not surprised at the non-interest in 56006, it does'nt really tell a big enough story, and unless ive forgotten some major detail i can't see why they claimed a 58, i think the 59 and 60 can tell the story of modern freight engines, and again why a 92, if your thinking is about the channel tunnel then i would much rather see a Euro star power car or a shuttle power car in the museum, i think a 92 would be better off with the people that preserved the other AC locos, who im ashamed to say ive completely forgotten the name of! :(
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Oh and why i think of it, why have they preserved a DBSO, let alone two of them?
 
Last edited:

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
Joined
24 May 2009
Messages
1,660
Location
Greater London
That list is rather Networker heavy, though judging by your username I would imagine that you are a little biased in your choice! :D

The NRM only have a limited amount of space in which to securely store and to display items of historical interest and their problems over the last couple of decades with having insufficient space to keep all the items of the national collection as would be fitting of their historical importance have been well documented , so their should be a very selective attitude to their future preservation activities.

In the future, IMO the NRM should look to preserve 150001, 165001, 465001, 59001 and 66001, as well as a class 92.

I think that if anyone were to preserve an entire HST set, it would be the 125 Group we would be looking to, and the NRM would be more likely to take on just a single production power car; 43002 or 43198.

I was extremely disappointed that the NRM refused to take on 56006 when it was offered as not being historically significant enough.

It's been known for some time that 58050 was destined for a place in the National Collection, I am however very surprised that the NRM wish to take on two DBSOs, what with their limited space for storage and display outlined above.


It may seem that way but 465/0s are different than 465/2s. Different traction motors, body detail differences, manufacturer. But fair enough I'm a Networker fanatic no denying it. :)


But I think there is a genuine reason to preserve them as they are a major part of the Network SouthEast era in railway history and the developments of suburban travel under there reign.

I also do not want to see a repeat performance, like with the EPBs where there's only one operational (although that is good) it would be nice to have a couple. A 465/0 and a 465/2.
 

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
20 Mar 2011
Messages
3,894
Location
West Country
I think that when the times comes, 150002 should go to the NRM with 150001 going to the SVR.

A pacer would be good too, to show history (and not what to do when making a train).
 

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,579
Location
Macclesfield
It may seem that way but 465/0s are different than 465/2s. Different traction motors, body detail differences, manufacturer. But fair enough I'm a Networker fanatic no denying it. :)


But I think there is a genuine reason to preserve them as they are a major part of the Network SouthEast era in railway history and the developments of suburban travel under there reign.

I also do not want to see a repeat performance, like with the EPBs where there's only one operational (although that is good) it would be nice to have a couple. A 465/0 and a 465/2.
I had never realised before that the 465s came from two different manufacturers :oops: I think that the NRM might end up making a choice of preserving one type over the other, and it'll be hopefully be up to other groups to preserve an example of the type that missed out on national collection status. Not that I have any way of knowing, of course, it's just conjecture.
 

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
20 Mar 2011
Messages
3,894
Location
West Country
I too only discovered that the 365s had two different manufacturers a few months ago whilst playing Trainz!
 

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,579
Location
Macclesfield
Why two DBSOs? Why one, for that matter? Unless they're thinking of Doing something with them.
Is there an example of an air-con mark 2 in the National Collection currently? A DBSO incorporates the greatest number of features of the mark 2 carriage design in a single vehicle; pretty much everything except an example of first class seating, so as a definitive example of the type it's about as complete as you can get.
 

Schnellzug

Established Member
Joined
22 Aug 2011
Messages
2,926
Location
Evercreech Junction
I had never realised before that the 465s came from two different manufacturers :oops: I think that the NRM might end up making a choice of preserving one type over the other, and it'll be hopefully be up to other groups to preserve an example of the type that missed out on national collection status. Not that I have any way of knowing, of course, it's just conjecture.

If they were going to go into that much detail, why not an example of each type of Pacer from Leyland, Alexander, etc, or a Class 47 from both Brush and Crewe?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Pendo and voyager

Pendo, good idea, although of course there'd be the question of where to put it. But the first succesful* tilting train should surely be worthy of note.

*ok, the APT was made reasonably succesful, but still a Pendo would be pretty significant, I think.
 

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,579
Location
Macclesfield
I can see more than one complete HST being preserved, so i would'nt rule out the NRM having a whole train, maybe with a spare power car as i said above.
Im not surprised at the non-interest in 56006, it does'nt really tell a big enough story, and unless ive forgotten some major detail i can't see why they claimed a 58, i think the 59 and 60 can tell the story of modern freight engines, and again why a 92, if your thinking is about the channel tunnel then i would much rather see a Euro star power car or a shuttle power car in the museum, i think a 92 would be better off with the people that preserved the other AC locos, who im ashamed to say ive completely forgotten the name of! :(
A 58 is an example of British practice in 1980s heavy freight locomotive design; BRELs' modular loco concept that they hoped to gain export orders for, though never did. As such I think that the 58 is a pretty definitive part of the evolution of freight locomotive design in Britain, though I think that the 56s are as equally deserving of a place in the National Collection as they were far more widespread across the country and truly allowed for the wholesale adoption of merry go round coal train operation that had been originally developed in the mid-sixties using class 47s and had such a big impact on what was probably the biggest industrial activity in Britain; that of coal extraction.

Maybe it would be more fitting for the AC Locomotive Group to preserve a class 92, but I still believe that with the wealth of technology contained in one of those locos, with the ability to operate off multiple power supply systems and (IIRC) cope with multiple signalling systems, coupled with them being the last home-grown locomotive design (Shuttle locomotives excluded) to be constructed, that one should enter the National Collection.
 

Schnellzug

Established Member
Joined
22 Aug 2011
Messages
2,926
Location
Evercreech Junction
A Class 70 perhaps, yes, as the first new GE loco to be sold to Europe (complimenting the 59, perhaps, although GM had sold locos in Europe before that), but it's hard to see the need for a 67.
 

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,579
Location
Macclesfield
If they were going to go into that much detail, why not an example of each type of Pacer from Leyland, Alexander, etc, or a Class 47 from both Brush and Crewe?
Precisely: The NRM has to be more selective about what it preserves rather than taking an example of each variation within a class. I'm personally mightily surprised that 140001 didn't enter the National Collection (I don't think it's part of it, is it?) as the representative of the Pacer series of trains and then leave it at that.
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,855
Location
Oakham
unless ive forgotten some major detail i can't see why they claimed a 58

I think the claim on 58 050 was something to do with it being the last BR built diesel locomotive ( the later 60s being Brush built ) but my memory of the reason is also hazy!
 

fgwrich

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
10,664
Location
Hampshire
Speaking of Locos that could go in the National Collection - How about much forgotton 47004? Formerly Old Oak Common Traction & Rolling Stock Depot? Surley that has to be one of the oldest class 47s left remaining?!
 

GearJammer

Member
Joined
12 Nov 2009
Messages
897
Location
On the Southern
Speaking of Locos that could go in the National Collection - How about much forgotton 47004? Formerly Old Oak Common Traction & Rolling Stock Depot? Surley that has to be one of the oldest class 47s left remaining?!

They don't need another 47, they have 47798.
 

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,579
Location
Macclesfield
Speaking of Locos that could go in the National Collection - How about much forgotton 47004? Formerly Old Oak Common Traction & Rolling Stock Depot? Surley that has to be one of the oldest class 47s left remaining?!
It's pipped to the post in terms of age by a couple of the preserved "generators"; 47401, 47402, etc, with 47401 being the first of the class as D1500, the first class 47 to have been delivered.

Plus, as GearJammer says, the NRM already has one class 47, 47798, which is probably more historically significant for having been the royal train loco for many years.
 

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
Joined
24 May 2009
Messages
1,660
Location
Greater London
Forgot to add to my last post that I was thinking maybe the NRM could let the Electric Railway Museum in Coventry look after its EMU stock if they have the room?

That way it would be possible to tell some history. An EPB, and its Networker replacement!
 

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,579
Location
Macclesfield
Forgot to add to my last post that I was thinking maybe the NRM could let the Electric Railway Museum in Coventry look after its EMU stock if they have the room?

That way it would be possible to tell some history. An EPB, and its Networker replacement!
Only if the Electric Railway Museum can develop some good quality, covered accomodation for its' rolling stock in the future, because as I understand it, their facilities at the moment are rather basic, and such a technical beasty as a Networker probably wouldn't fare well with open air storage.
 

60163

Member
Joined
11 Jan 2011
Messages
515
Location
All around Sloane Square
If a 60/90/92, then surely one that's doing nothing, languishing in storage?

I think more preserved/privately owned 86s and 87s too.

57601? Or one of the four 'castles'.
 

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
Joined
24 May 2009
Messages
1,660
Location
Greater London
Only if the Electric Railway Museum can develop some good quality, covered accomodation for its' rolling stock in the future, because as I understand it, their facilities at the moment are rather basic, and such a technical beasty as a Networker probably wouldn't fare well with open air storage.


Good point.

Wonder if in future they'll be able to have a proper facility to store the units?
 

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,579
Location
Macclesfield
Good point.

Wonder if in future they'll be able to have a proper facility to store the units?
Let's hope so, it's the sort of endeavour that I would be happy to put some money towards if I had the cash spare, and certainly loaning out their electric stock, current and future, to the Electric Railway Museum would be a pragmatic and realistic solution to the NRMs' space constraints.

The NRMs' APT-P power car recently moved to the Electric Railway Museum for restoration.
 

Chris125

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2009
Messages
3,272
Location
Isle of Wight
Could people please remember that getting designated by the RHC does NOT mean becoming part of the 'National Collection' - attempts will be made to find them a new home, whether its part of said national collection under the NRM, or a heritage line/preservation group.

Chris
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top