• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

50 Shades of Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

wintonian

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2010
Messages
4,889
Location
Hampshire
Judging by the number of copies possesd and on loan in Hampshires and Southampton Librarys (Southampton even have several audio copy's), there must be either a lot of people here with very interesting sex lives or a lot of people who wished they had one! Personaly I have only just found out what the book is about by looking it up on Wikipedia, but some questions come to mind:-

  • What is the attraction of such publications?
  • Is there a reason why it has become the fastest selling paperback ever?
  • Would anyone here admit to reading it?
  • Would you mind your daughter (or son) reading such a book?
  • Should public funds be used to purchase literature from such a genre?

I know that's quite a list but I really don't understand the popular fascination that this book has elicited.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,123
Location
Redcar
  • Would anyone here admit to reading it?

I read one of the more 'interesting' scenes aloud to a group of friends whilst we were waiting for it to stop raining so we could leave our hostel. I feel I should point out this wasn't my idea, I caved to peer pressure and it was an extract one of them found online.

  • Should public funds be used to purchase literature from such a genre?

Public funds should be used to purchase what there is a public demand to be read.
 

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
I know that's quite a list but I really don't understand the popular fascination that this book has elicited.

I think you'll find this applies to a substantial number of others on here ;)

Isn't it basically a poorly-written Twilight "fan-flick" equivalent (shudder)?
 

Temple Meads

Established Member
Joined
2 Sep 2010
Messages
2,283
Location
Devon
I don't have a particular problem with it, I certainly don't mind libraries buying it in (as long as people want to read a book, then libraries should stock it), but the fact remains that it's a very poorly written, poorly plotted and unrealistic book, that (apart from the "mummy porn") has no redeeming features.

And yes, I have dipped into this book, but just to see what all the fuss is/was about. :lol:
 

Kernowfem

Member
Joined
24 Oct 2009
Messages
726
Location
The Midlands
Over hyped. Under sexed. I found it lacking. The plot was pants, the main character seriously disturbed (no way would i put up with being walloped with a belt/whip etc for someone elses pleasure) and to be honest it bored me.

I can't understand why its been so popular, there are better books out there in the same catagory.
 

Oswyntail

Established Member
Joined
23 May 2009
Messages
4,183
Location
Yorkshire
I was a tad surprised when I discovered a 16-year old girl I had known for years had read it. Her verdict? Badly written and imagined, almost totally boring. Then, with a twinkle she added she prefers real life.
 

starrymarkb

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2009
Messages
5,985
Location
Exeter
The dubious shop in Sidwell Street (Expensive and Poor Quality) has a big banner in the window advertising the official Fifty Shades sex toy range
 

Temple Meads

Established Member
Joined
2 Sep 2010
Messages
2,283
Location
Devon
The dubious shop in Sidwell Street (Expensive and Poor Quality) has a big banner in the window advertising the official Fifty Shades sex toy range

Oh I know the one!

At least it brightens up Sidwell Street a bit, god knows it needs it!
 

Geezertronic

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2009
Messages
4,125
Location
Birmingham
The missus has read the three books, daughter (15) started reading the first one but was apparently bored by it.

The missus is more excited that Ian Somerhalder might be in the running to play Christian Grey in any film version. Personally (and along with her Paul Walker fascination), I can't see what the fuss is about :D:D:D
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
Mrs Greenback has bought Fifty Sheds of Grey from the supermarket, and has pronounced it brilliant and hilarious.
 

Clip

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
10,821
I hear RailUK Forums will be publishing a book very shortly from one of its , ahem, members.


50 shades of L.E Greys
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,311
Location
Bolton
Equally amusing!

I DO NOT understand how people (women) can sit in perfectly normal situations on buses, trains and trams and become engrossed in highly sexually explicit scenes without some kind of physical reaction! I've been reading it over peoples shoulders and having to stop!
 
Last edited:

LE Greys

Established Member
Joined
6 Mar 2010
Messages
5,389
Location
Hitchin
I hear RailUK Forums will be publishing a book very shortly from one of its , ahem, members.


50 shades of L.E Greys

I'll remember that one for the autobiography. :lol: Not sure what Sir Nigel would make of it though.

Curiously, in one of my other lives, I do have a book almost ready for publishing.
 

GooeyLouii

Member
Joined
29 Nov 2012
Messages
33
I couldn't take it seriously, referring to reproductive organs as the "length" sort of detracted from what was supposed to be erotic, it seemed like the author was scared to use naughty words.
 

LE Greys

Established Member
Joined
6 Mar 2010
Messages
5,389
Location
Hitchin
I couldn't take it seriously, referring to reproductive organs as the "length" sort of detracted from what was supposed to be erotic, it seemed like the author was scared to use naughty words.

Well, Philip Larkin claimed the sexiest word in the English language is 'unbutton'.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top