• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

50 minutes in Pembroke Dock

Status
Not open for further replies.

merlodlliw

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2009
Messages
5,852
Location
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
Spoke to a friend in Tessie Cohens yesterday, he told me he & a colleague used the ATW over 55 ticket on Tuesday,cost £16,

Left Wrexham about 0740, arrived back around 2240 giving just under an hour in Pembroke Dock, I asked did you get the Fishguard as well:)

Bob
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
I spent fifty minutes between trains in Pemborke Dock a couple of years ago. I found it quite depressing. A lot of the shops in the main streets were shut, there were very few people about and there was a sense of decay in the air. Of course, the nearby Tesco was busy.

I looked for information on how to reach the ferry port, just out of interest, and it seemed a little sparse. It looked as though it was quite a walk on the town map as well.
 

Dreadnought

Member
Joined
1 Oct 2007
Messages
586
I had about 35-40 mins earlier this year when I went to Pembroke Dock on the fGW HST. My mate and I got there just before the station pub shut so had a pint and then got back on the train!
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
I had about 35-40 mins earlier this year when I went to Pembroke Dock on the fGW HST. My mate and I got there just before the station pub shut so had a pint and then got back on the train!

The pub was closed when I was there, otherwise I would most certainly have gone in there!
 

Donny Dave

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2005
Messages
5,394
Location
Doncaster
I had about 35-40 mins earlier this year when I went to Pembroke Dock on the fGW HST. My mate and I got there just before the station pub shut so had a pint and then got back on the train!

The pub was open? :shock:

On a forum meet a few years ago (2007 IIRC) when 10 or 12 of us did the HST to/from Pembroke Dock, everything was shut, so it was a few seminar photos and back on the train.

Also, I seem to recall that I upset then then forum resident HST basher (Techniquest, I'm looking at you here ;)) that day, as I lucked into more miles on HSTs than he managed, having got the 0716 SHF - STP as far as Derby for a Voyager to Birmingham. Changed trains there onto the 1012 service to Newquay (as far as Bristol Parkway). The only downside to the HST from Birmingham was that I shared a table with 3 girls aged somewhere around 13 or 14, who didn't shut up until I unleashed my evil side as we passed Bromsgrove. <D
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
Maybe the pub has reopened. A lot of pubs in Llanelli close for a few months, re-open for a bit and then close again!
 

Dreadnought

Member
Joined
1 Oct 2007
Messages
586
The pub was open? :shock:

They had been serving food as well! Last orders was called at 2.30pm so we only just made it by about 10 mins that day!

Can't remember what beer I had but I seem to recall that they had 3 real ales as well which was good.
 

DJ737

Member
Joined
15 Nov 2009
Messages
364
Location
Melbourne, Australia
G'day

I agree that Pembroke Dock is a pretty depressing place, I generally don't venture into the town, just go to Tesco's and the station pub for a couple of hours, the Malaysian & Australian banknotes displayed over the bar were donated by me. (my contribution to the Pembroke Dock economy apart from buying beer in the pub) :lol:

Pembroke itself is a much nicer place, with some decent pubs on the main drag.

Cheers
DJ737
Melbourne, Australia
 

anthony263

Established Member
Joined
19 Aug 2008
Messages
6,892
Location
South Wales
I have been to Pembroke dock and do admit is its a bit depressing. There was a nice bakers shop there and i even found a woolworths store that was still open. took me 9 minutes to walk to the dockside to see the ferry.
 

CNX

Member
Joined
24 Feb 2011
Messages
101
Was there 37 years ago to this day. Arrived approximately 0500 and departed at 0550. Not service trains. Priceless.
 
Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,840
Location
Nowhere Heath
On a forum meet a few years ago (2007 IIRC) when 10 or 12 of us did the HST to/from Pembroke Dock, everything was shut, so it was a few seminar photos and back on the train.

Yeah, there really was bugger all to do. I think the meet was in 2005 though, as I remember joining at Swansea and only just waking up in time to get a bus into town to join the meet. Quite a few of us on for sure, seems so long ago!

Also, I seem to recall that I upset then then forum resident HST basher (Techniquest, I'm looking at you here ;)) that day, as I lucked into more miles on HSTs than he managed, having got the 0716 SHF - STP as far as Derby for a Voyager to Birmingham. Changed trains there onto the 1012 service to Newquay (as far as Bristol Parkway). The only downside to the HST from Birmingham was that I shared a table with 3 girls aged somewhere around 13 or 14, who didn't shut up until I unleashed my evil side as we passed Bromsgrove. <D

Yeah, I remember you getting a ton more HST mileage than I that day, and that you told those girls they were charging down the railway's equivelent to a rollercoaster whilst racing down the Lickey :lol:

Seems strange to think I was once an HST basher...
 

CNX

Member
Joined
24 Feb 2011
Messages
101
I once spent 50 minutes there. Arrived and departed on the same train. Didn't leave the station as there would have been sod all open at that time of night. One of the highlights of my bashing career, and most members of this forum would have given their right hand to have been there.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,840
Location
Nowhere Heath
Correct, Holyhead has pubs, shops, fast food restaurants and, importantly, a pretty reasonable level of services leaving!

I'm curious as to what CNX had to Pembroke Dock though...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top