I've been using my TSB debit card for a couple of weeks now (didn't use it all until this 5% offer started) and have been asked for my pin three times now. It's not worth using it as a chip and pin card, as there's no cash back, so I always use my Virgin Atlantic Amex for a transaction when the TSB card asks for the pin. I'm now wondering whether my refusal to use it for chip and pin means that eventually they'll stop me using it for contactless. Is this likely?
They won't stop you using contactless, but if you only ever use contactless then you'll be asked for your PIN a lot. A quick trip to a cash machine to prove it's still you with the card is normally enough though there isn't any harm in using it for a PIN transaction every now and then... I easily make more than £100 of Contactless payments a month, not that I should mind....
radamfi said:
If you look at Money Saving Expert forums, there have been similar complaints about people getting asked for their PIN a lot with the TSB card and people also switch to another card because the TSB card doesn't give cashback unless it is contactless. I have been asked twice and put in the PIN each time because it was only for a few quid and in the hope that it will reduce the frequency where I need the PIN in future.
Does making a cash withdrawal every day or so help?
Yes, you just need to do something that requires the PIN as they want to make sure the card is still with it's rightful owner.
I wouldn't recommend using the card solely for Contactless transactions as it is likely to ask for your PIN much more frequently than if you use it 'normally' - it is, after all, a current account, and isn't designed to be solely used for Contactless payments!
It's quite likely that the system will eventually learn your habits, though, and could lighten up a little. TSB may just need a little while to get used to it, though still expect to be asked.
I've no idea where people got the idea that the TSB card gave cashback on non-Contactless transactions - it seems clear as the light of day to me! The banks want to encourage Contactless transactions to replace cash, and they're doing a good job of it so far...If only we could encourage the stubborn retailers!