Class 33 said:
Indeed. It's ridiculous. All this "health and safety" nonsence nowadays wrapping us all up in cotton wool.
It's one thing that they aren't allowed to be used on normal scheduled services on the mainline network which joe public use. But at least let us rail enthusiasts travel on them if we wish to, on railtours!
It's more backside-covering than actual safety concerns. "What if" is how things work nowadays, mainly due to cheap lawyers rather than an increased risk. A 4-VEP storming down the SWML is still safer than being on the street; the only difference is that the railway has a duty of care for you while you're on the train, but on the street you are on your own!
That said, I've read that the restrictions on MK1s are due to be relaxed. I hope this is true, as it would be nice to travel on a slam door EMU on the mainline again. I suspect the only reason the restrictions were ever introduced was to speed up the withdrawal of slam door EMUs rather than real safety reasons!
