• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

444 or 450 to Portsmouth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdbrain

Member
Joined
16 Jun 2007
Messages
398
Hi,

I know this has come up thousands of times but can't seem to find an answer by searching the archives. Is there a way of telling what's booked to operate the portsmouth services? I want to find out about the 0915 PMH-WAT and the 1630 WAT-PMH. M-F. I know the say no to 450 group used to post allocations but I think this is out of date.

Thanks
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TEW

Established Member
Joined
16 May 2008
Messages
6,228
1P28, 0915 Portsmouth Harbour-Waterloo is booked 5-444.
1P51, 1630 Waterloo-Portsmouth Harbour is booked 10-444.
 

Birdbrain

Member
Joined
16 Jun 2007
Messages
398
Thanks, is there any public access to this information online? Sorry just two more, the 1430 & 1500 Waterloo to Portsmouth?
 

TEW

Established Member
Joined
16 May 2008
Messages
6,228
No, there isn't I'm afraid. The 'no to 450' website is quite out of date now. The information I have may be, depending on how much the diagrams changed with the timetable change on Sunday. I haven't really been out and about enough yet to see for myself. Both those two trains are booked 5-444.
 

Birdbrain

Member
Joined
16 Jun 2007
Messages
398
Ok, It's annoying that it's not made available. I have a 1st advance from the north so the Waterloo to Portsmouth is the +connections part. Just trying to avoid the 450 if possible.
 

bigdelboy

Member
Joined
9 Apr 2012
Messages
198
Ok, It's annoying that it's not made available. I have a 1st advance from the north so the Waterloo to Portsmouth is the +connections part. Just trying to avoid the 450 if possible.

Ok birdbrain ;); can you not just hang about at waterloo until one turns up that takes your fancy :idea: ( You can usually see whats what before you have to go through the barrier ).

In general as a rule of 444's tend to be allocated to stoppers in the peak that don't get too crowded. The stoppers tend to be overtaken at haslemere, so you could switch over there (possibly against the strict rules of your ticket). There's probably more chance of a 444 out of waterloo before the rush hour really gets under way.
 

hassaanhc

Established Member
Joined
5 Jan 2014
Messages
2,225
Location
Southall
I see it is a "First Advance", the FC on a 450 is pretty decent in my opinion*, and you'd also need to be careful not to waste too much time at Waterloo otherwise the guard/barrier staff won't be too happy! (Probably applies to taking a stopping service as well).

* But then I don't see any issue with the standard class seats on a 450 either ;)
 

Mikey C

Established Member
Joined
11 Feb 2013
Messages
8,274
I see it is a "First Advance", the FC on a 450 is pretty decent in my opinion*, and you'd also need to be careful not to waste too much time at Waterloo otherwise the guard/barrier staff won't be too happy! (Probably applies to taking a stopping service as well).

* But then I don't see any issue with the standard class seats on a 450 either ;)

The 444 1st Class has 2 + 1 seating, so is a definite step up in seat comfort to the 2 + 2 450...
 

TEW

Established Member
Joined
16 May 2008
Messages
6,228
Ok birdbrain ;); can you not just hang about at waterloo until one turns up that takes your fancy :idea: ( You can usually see whats what before you have to go through the barrier ).
Hanging around for a 444 might not be the best idea. Workings of the two types of train tend to be quite bunched up. So you quite often have a run of 450s in a row then a run of 444s in a row. You could end up waiting a while for a 444.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top