• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

442 travelling up the main line today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

455/8

Member
Joined
15 Nov 2005
Messages
146
hey all

just a quick question today while i was travelling down to basingstoke in the back cab of a 450 (i was on route learning), i saw a 442 and a 73 pass going up the main fast line, i take it must have come from eastleigh but just wondered if anyone else knew where it was going etc? it passed me at about 10:30 i think and it was in swt colours not the plain white, red and grey that normally you see around.

if anyone knows any info on it at all as non of the guards i asked knew any thing about it.

Cheers,

Alan
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Julian G

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2005
Messages
3,553
It was Transfer Move from Eastleigh Works to Brighton Lover's Walk

Said 442 was 442413
Its been happening a couple of times
 

Juniper Driver

Established Member
Joined
17 Jul 2007
Messages
2,154
Location
SWR Metals
I saw that.I was going through the wash (at clapham) on a 10 car 444 and my tongue was on the floor.

I felt happy to see 442013 back in action again it had 2x73 on the back and I wanted to get a pic.

442013 was my last pig failure in January 2007 at Branksome down road.(with 2nd class 2418 Driving trailer (country end))

Why did it have the two 73's on the back?

Didn't think of getting the 73's number as I was more interested in the pig.
 

455/8

Member
Joined
15 Nov 2005
Messages
146
don't quote me on this but i think the 2 73's are needed as aids due to the 442's not acctually being owned/leased, i know they are owned by angle trains but because they aren't a rail opperator i belive for insurance reasons for them to be moved on the main line they have to be accompanied so to speak.

The 2 73's are the 2 that normally sit at eastleigh the GBRf blue and yellow ones.

Alan
 

Juniper Driver

Established Member
Joined
17 Jul 2007
Messages
2,154
Location
SWR Metals
It wouldn't surprise me with the 73 's thingy.I know what the 442s were like.I had the most breakdowns :eek: while working them and so did they :?

Most unreliable units I ever worked.Doesn't mean I didnt have a soft spot for them though.
 

Juniper Driver

Established Member
Joined
17 Jul 2007
Messages
2,154
Location
SWR Metals
For me yes.Even in the early days of my driving I had a lot pf trouble with 442's.Only learnt 458's feb 2007.

I spoke to another driver and he agreed he'd had a lot of breakdowns on them as well.(442s)

Although at one time I was doing a lot of miles on them.

Don't get me wrong I have a soft spot for 442's and I learnt a lot when driving them and because they are gone im doing more suburban stuff.I think in my prime with 442's I was doing at least over 1000 to 1500 miles on them some weeks.In all the time I drove slam doors I never needed assistance apart from when I was a guard in 1985 on a few class 305's.(When I was on the Great Eastern)I had 3 breakdowns in a year but only remember two of them.I never had a cig or vep that ever let me down.Yes I got into trouble but always managed to get there apart from coming back from Pompey when I had to terminate at Guildford as I had burnt the motors out in the leaf fall.1309+1310.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top