• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

40 years of McDonald's U.K.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
4O years ago today McDonald's opened their first U.K. restaurant in Woolwich, S.E. London. Although the occasion attracted quite a lot of local attention in the media it barely rated a mention in the national press, as McDonald's up to then was purely an American phenomenon.

I visited that McDonald's on its first Monday of opening, for the simple reason that every Monday evening at the time I packed up work in Central London and took a train to Woolwich Arsenal in order to attend a night class and had about an hour to spare in Woolwich before the class, time for a snack-type meal and a drink. There were no Wetherspoons in those days and local pubs chose to only provide crisps and a punch-up,so, until McDonald's opening, there was only really a limited choice of Wimpy Bar and the like if you wished to sit down. Another thing I also did on those evenings was purchase a local weekly paper, so I'd known the week before of McDonald's opening, also the reason why they'd chosen a once-famous but now down-at-heel suburb of London for their first British venture.

As I now rarely visit a McDonald's, and when I do just for a cup of tea, I'd like to explain what they were like when they started out, for the changes since certainly haven't been for the better from the customer point of view.

When McDonald's opened here and for the first few years all stores were run by McDonald's, indeed they made great play of not trusting franchisees to operate to their high standards! Those high standards included, for the first year or two at least before the policy was quietly binned, that all burgers were not made to order, as that would require people waiting too long for their food, but each variety would be cooked ready but once it had been waiting in the cabinet for a very short period of time it would then be chucked out. I seem to remember that period of time being as little as one minute, but my memory may be wrong on the exact period, but it was certainly within two or three minutes and was done with great ceremony so that all customers could see this! Immediately a replacement would be cooked.

The second thing that grabbed attention was the mouth-puckeringly hot apple pie, shaped like like a large spring roll and flavoured with cinnamon, quite unlike the traditional English version. The third were their milk shakes, actually made from full-cream milk and which were superb. What they now serve can't be compared in any way and contain some additive that makes me cough.

The reason why they caught on though, IMO, was from the very first with their Ronald McDonald character they wanted to draw kids into their restaurants, day and evening, with or without their parents, and get them hooked on the experience. In this they have succeeded beyond their wildest dreams, surely. Also in the early days, no matter how busy, tables were to be cleared and cleaned within a minute of departure, so there were always plenty of staff. In other words, McDonald's spent a fortune in getting their brand established before laurels were slept on.

Oh yes, why Woolwich? Well, they'd done their homework and discovered that the local inhabitants spent more per head on burgers and other 'fast food' (though that term had yet to be invented) than anywhere else in London. Wimpy Bar's retaliation? To put a pickled dill into their insipid product.
LOL.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gordonthemoron

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2006
Messages
6,727
Location
Milton Keynes
I went to one of the first behind the Iron Curtain, Budapest 1989, the locals hadn't been trained in binning their rubbish and just left it to pile up on the tables, the place looked a complete dump ;)
 

Clip

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
10,821
Perfect place if you just want a quick snack to fill the void.
 

Searle

Established Member
Joined
4 May 2012
Messages
1,580
Location
Ladbroke Grove
Thank you OP for the insight, interesting how things have changed eh! I would like to say however that I still enjoy their milkshakes today! ;)
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
Used to be good for breakfast (or at least they were before I stopped eating meat ;)), but very little beyond that: I always preferred Burger King more generally. They're also perfect if, like others have said, you need something in the small hours.

I would also like to thank the OP for his reminiscing, it was most interesting.
 

Monty

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2012
Messages
2,373
Being a veggie I don't have much cause to be in McDonalds often (though I confess I do treat myself with a milkshake from time to time ;)). Hard to believe it's been around for 40 years though.
 
Last edited:

SS4

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2011
Messages
8,589
Location
Birmingham
I usually stop by for a quick snack or a milkshake. I like their BBQ sauce especially with chicken nuggets. They were also one of the first places to accept contactless payments.

Thanks OP for your insight on the historical aspect, it's a good read.
 

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
Thank you for the kind comments - I hoped it might interest a few.
 

St Rollox

Member
Joined
2 Jun 2013
Messages
650
The first franchise in Glasgow (Argyle St) was paid off in six months if i remember right.
The one next to the Clyde Tunnel never did so well and closed down after a few years.
 

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2008
Messages
5,754
Location
Essex
Interesting post. I go to McDonalds occasionally - mostly for burgers, but after a long and tiring nightshift a McDonald's breakfast becomes very tempting!
 

185

On Moderation
Joined
29 Aug 2010
Messages
5,709
Despite being the great Satan of the entire dietary spectrum, for many public transport workers like myself, McD's, BK, KFC etc are an essential. Somewhere warm, hot food, a bog, and somewhere to sit down - all when the UK's bus & rail workers face less and less of the (legally required) statutory basics for a tea break.
 

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
Despite being the great Satan of the entire dietary spectrum, for many public transport workers like myself, McD's, BK, KFC etc are an essential. Somewhere warm, hot food, a bog, and somewhere to sit down - all when the UK's bus & rail workers face less and less of the (legally required) statutory basics for a tea break.

Yes, absolutely concur with that. Difficult to believe now, but in central London in 1979 I had to walk about two miles to an all-night Dunkin' Donuts near Ludgate Circus to find somewhere to sit and pass a couple of hours before catching the first train home after a casino night shift. Oh, the glamour of the life!:lol:
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,417
Location
Yorks
Oh yes, why Woolwich? Well, they'd done their homework and discovered that the local inhabitants spent more per head on burgers and other 'fast food' (though that term had yet to be invented) than anywhere else in London. Wimpy Bar's retaliation? To put a pickled dill into their insipid product.
LOL.

Where Maccy D excells is in providing an expensive premium meal whilst at the same time offering a range of cheap but tasty value meals (the same trick that the supermarkets pulled off before they took their eye off the ball and got ravaged by Lidl)

Less dissing of the Wimpey though, particularly their superb brown derby!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Used to be good for breakfast (or at least they were before I stopped eating meat ;)), but very little beyond that: I always preferred Burger King more generally. They're also perfect if, like others have said, you need something in the small hours.

I would also like to thank the OP for his reminiscing, it was most interesting.

I always wonder why they don't offer a suitable beanburger. Missing a trick I think.

I used to like the breakfasts but they give me indigestion now and the way they cook the eggs makes them a bit rubbery.

I prefer a proper runny fried egg with tinned tomatoes in a bap nowadays.
 

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
Where Maccy D excells is in providing an expensive premium meal whilst at the same time offering a range of cheap but tasty value meals (the same trick that the supermarkets pulled off before they took their eye off the ball and got ravaged by Lidl)

Less dissing of the Wimpey though, particularly their superb brown derby!

I'll have you know I was a full-time employee of the Wimpy Bar,Minehead in 1967! It was a franchise owned by a Mr Eatwell whose address was Winchester Bus Stn. Why can I remember such rubbish? Must admit it was quite 'cool' to be from London, aged 19: mind you, had to put up with, 'you're from London, do you know Fred Smith, he's from there?'
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,417
Location
Yorks
I'll have you know I was a full-time employee of the Wimpy Bar,Minehead in 1967! It was a franchise owned by a Mr Eatwell whose address was Winchester Bus Stn. Why can I remember such rubbish? Must admit it was quite 'cool' to be from London, aged 19: mind you, had to put up with, 'you're from London, do you know Fred Smith, he's from there?'

Ahh, I've had many happy childhood parties at the Wimpy in Ashford.

Sadly, it's never been cool to come from Ashford.
 

Flamingo

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2010
Messages
6,806
Interesting post, Busaholic. Thanks.

Personally, I find whenever I go to any restaurant or pub and order a burger, I find myself comparing it to the "dream" Quarter-pounder with cheese. Any usually find it comes off second-best, I'd prefer McD's. And their breakfasts on the road to anywhere do hit the spot!
 

John Webb

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2010
Messages
3,785
Location
St Albans
4O years ago today McDonald's opened their first U.K. restaurant in Woolwich, S.E. London. Although the occasion attracted quite a lot of local attention in the media it barely rated a mention in the national press, as McDonald's up to then was purely an American phenomenon........Another thing I also did on those evenings was purchase a local weekly paper, so I'd known the week before of McDonald's opening, also the reason why they'd chosen a once-famous but now down-at-heel suburb of London for their first British venture........
Forty years ago Woolwich wasn't so 'down at heel' - we still had the RASC (Royal Arsenal Co-operative Society) department store and other local companies businesses rather than all the national lines. Was Macdonalds the first downward step? :)

Regards,
John Webb (Woolwich resident 1946-77)

PS One of my cousins worked in the admin of the store when it first opened!
 

richw

Veteran Member
Joined
10 Jun 2010
Messages
11,528
Location
Liskeard
each variety would be cooked ready but once it had been waiting in the cabinet for a very short period of time it would then be chucked out. I seem to remember that period of time being as little as one minute, but my memory may be wrong on the exact period,

I worked for McDonalds for about 7 years from 2004-2011, initially whilst at college, then I was promoted to a shift manager and at 18/19 that seemed great, and no other 18/19 year old got paid that much, which now looking bad after 3 years in an office based job was awful money!!! The food can sit in the hot cabinet for 10 mins and then bin. Breakfast and chicken products are now assembled to order, but the cooked ingredients can be held in the hot unit for 20mins before being assembled.
I rarely visit any McDonalds now other than breakfast when hung over. The few times I've visited various stores I always check the timecards to check for freshness. I've seen a lot of stuff very out of time- last week I visited a particular store and the timecard indicated one particular product was 45 mins old, which from experience will be very dry and the filling limp- so I order a special order - without onions for example.

On the plus side I visited the meat factory on one occasion and the beef is all high quality british cuts. (The USA for example still use crap cuts, but in the UK it is all high standard meat)
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
Personally I miss the "sit down" Wimpey's that preceded Macdonalds.

Food was served on China and not that bad :p

Are there any left ?
 

Abpj17

Member
Joined
5 Jul 2014
Messages
1,012
Yeah, there are still a few wimpy around, but I'd say they've gone down hill unless you've got a very good franchisee.

McDo's is great for breakfast (sausage and pancakes), it would be lovely to see their chocolate orange pie back at some point (very naughty treat).

The UK version has never lived up to my experiences in France or Germany. German McDo had proper recycling decades ago. And I have fond memories of French McDo's: tables on the pavement outside, a guaranteed indoor, usually ok loo with paper (vs. those cabins on the street/holes in the ground...); sell alcohol and their sundaes are nicer because they have nuts on...

I've been to the McDo in Yalta (Crimea/Ukraine) too which has a great view over the port (I'm not sure it survived the russian take-over).

I don't notice the food that's waiting too long - usually on nuggests or special order!
 

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
1,450
There are at least six Wimpy Bars in the Southend-on-Sea urban area (and a couple of them have some form of steak on their menu....). The others I'm aware of are in Barking (right next to the station) and, indeed, in Woolwich. There are a fair number about (some have clearly had extensive refurbishment in recent years), but only in certain parts of the country!
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
It's been a long time since I was in either, but I'm sure Penzance had one, as did a town on the IoW (most likely Ryde).
 

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
Forty years ago Woolwich wasn't so 'down at heel' - we still had the RASC (Royal Arsenal Co-operative Society) department store and other local companies businesses rather than all the national lines. Was Macdonalds the first downward step? :)

Regards,
John Webb (Woolwich resident 1946-77)

PS One of my cousins worked in the admin of the store when it first opened!

I haven't known Woolwich as long as you, John. but certainly from mid 1950s to mid 1970s knew it pretty well - my father was in the Territorial Army and came to the parade ground, took part in the Woolwich Tattoo, etc. I used to go and watch the trolleybuses prior to their withdrawal in 1959. The real decline of Woolwich IMO started with the part-pedestrianisation in 1972 (?) which probably attracted McDonalds and the decline then closure of the docks on the north side of the river would have had a severe impact south of the river too. Woolwich always had an atmosphere of its own, granted.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top