• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

3rd party plane ticket retailers with massive price discounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABB125

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2016
Messages
4,354
Location
University of Birmingham
Over the last week or so I've been looking into a potential trip to the US using Google Flights. During this, I've noticed that occasionally there are 3rd party retailers offering tickets at vastly reduced prices compared to others. One particularly noticeable examples is kiss&fly.

Kiss&fly are offering massive discounts on Aer Lingus single fares from Dublin to most of their US destinations. For example, Dublin to Washington DC on 3 December, Aer Lingus (and almost all other retailers) are selling tickets at around £600, whereas kiss&fly are offering £184. Similarly, single Aer Lingus Dublin to San Francisco on 25 November is around £720, apart from with kiss&fly at £256. There are many other examples, these are just two. In other cases though, kiss&fly are rather more expensive than everyone else...
I've also noticed it to a lesser extent with TravEasy on TAP Portugal fares, but can't find an example at the moment.

I'm assuming that there is something dodgy going on here, eg: getting through the whole booking process then at the point of payment you might get a "sorry, that fare has now sold out, it's now £lots, woul you still like to proceed?" message, or the tickets being fake. The overriding feedback from online reviews of kiss&fly is negative.

So what exactly is going on here? Has anyone here booked a ticket with kiss&fly or other retailers which are so much cheaper?
In slightly different circumstances I'd be very tempted to book something just to see what happens, but at the moment I can't quite justify it
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darandio

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2007
Messages
11,146
Location
Redcar
In slightly different circumstances I'd be very tempted to book something just to see what happens, but at the moment I can't quite justify it

I'm not sure why you would want to? You've already looked online and seen the huge amount of negative feedback, these people have already done this so you don't have to.
 

ABB125

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2016
Messages
4,354
Location
University of Birmingham
I'm not sure why you would want to? You've already looked online and seen the huge amount of negative feedback, these people have already done this so you don't have to.
A reasonable number of the negative reviews are things like "I wanted to change my flight/seat/travel date/whatever and they wouldn't let me" (which to be honest sounds like "I didn't read the terms and conditions" rather than dodgy retailer) or "my flight was amended/cancelled and I didn't find out until I got to the airport" which isn't good but certainly isn't unheard of.
Obviously there's also people saying "I checked with the airline and they said my ticket didn't exist", but also others saying "I had no problems whatsoever".

So personally I'd be willing to take a risk on booking a cheap weekend away or something, fully aware of what might go wrong, in slightly different circumstances next year (but not right now).
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,194
Location
0035
A reasonable number of the negative reviews are things like "I wanted to change my flight/seat/travel date/whatever and they wouldn't let me" (which to be honest sounds like "I didn't read the terms and conditions" rather than dodgy retailer) or "my flight was amended/cancelled and I didn't find out until I got to the airport" which isn't good but certainly isn't unheard of.

I have booked through online travel agents (OTAs) in the past, and also have an upcoming booking made through an OTA. I would only really consider them if they offer a significant saving over booking direct.

You are right to be skeptical and your observation is largely spot on IME. Most of the negative reviews for OTAs are indeed people who have come a cropper and done things like type the wrong name or wanting to change or cancel their booking, who are then told either they cannot, or told they have to pay large fees to the OTA.

However, you can also have the following issues:
- Some airlines do not allow management of the booking when you have booked through the OTA; meaning you then have to negotiate with the OTA and possibly pay extra fees to do things like seat selection, adding of baggage, etc.
- For connecting or return flights they often sell tickets with separate ticket numbers and under separate booking references (PNRs), meaning if you miss the connection, you may not be covered. This is often not made clear until after you have paid.
- If something goes wrong such as plane cancellation or delay, it can be harder to get re-routed or get things resolved.
 

thejuggler

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2016
Messages
1,655
Modern online version of the travel bucket shop. Just because it is advertised doesn't mean it exists.
 

FinsburyPark

Member
Joined
18 May 2013
Messages
196
Location
Lancing
Isnt there always a risk with booking 3rd party. For both hotels and flights.

Even with more reputable companies like booking dot com and trivago.

These are great until things go 'Pete Tong' and you then have to go through 3rd parties.
 

signed

Established Member
Joined
13 May 2024
Messages
2,388
Location
ROI
As @FinsburyPark says, OTAs are fine when there is no problem

Once you have a problem, good luck trying to get through broken English on the other side of the world (not that airlines don't have that) that have no clue how to help you.

For hotels especially (other members have replied for airlines), I encourge anyone to read some posts on r/TalesFromTheFrontDesk

Basically, most hotels will always prioritise direct bookings instead of OTAs (with like who gets walked to another hotel when the hotel overbooked...).

This especially if you need to change something or try to cancel graciously (most hotels will be willing to cancel even outside of the cancellation period if you are nice to them, call as early as possible and most importantly have booked direct. Very rarely will they offer that for OTA bookings). Most hotels also match or even offer more discount on their fares compared to OTAs

Using one or not mostly depends on your risk appetite, having a solid travel insurance and the price difference being large enough to justify it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top