• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

334 006 partially reliveried

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bittern

Established Member
Joined
8 Apr 2009
Messages
1,919
Location
Scotland
Pictures can be fund on Scot-Rail.

I snapped some shots earlier this evening, but they were through a rainsoaked 156's window and considering the time, it was getting dark and Central's lights were on, so it was hard to see and the pictures just aren't worth posting. Also, had to double take at it because it wasn't easy to identify just what it was! I thought that maybe it was a 320 or something at first (which are rare in Glasgow Central). My jaw dropped when I realized that it was a 334.

I have to say, the new front end looks very smart with the loss of the yellow at the top of the cab removed and the blue-ing of the headlights looks nice too. Seems the 334s will look much better under the Saltire.

They can't be doing to well if the unit's in service in that condition. How many 334s are out for A-B training?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
127
Location
London
My word, what a condition to send a train out on service in! Well better a rubbed down train than no train of course!
 

prod_pep

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2010
Messages
1,711
Location
Liverpool
ScotRail must be chronically short of trains.

Still, initial impressions of what a 334 will be like in Saltire livery are good. The front end is an improvement in my opinion.
 

me123

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2007
Messages
8,510
It's really terrible looking, isn't it!

We do have a shortage at the moment. There's ongoing driver training on the Airdrie-Bathgate line. However, the delay in the 380s starting, alongside the Airdrie-Bathgate project being completed, and expected to open, on time has meant that we're short of 334s at the moment. Some trains are running around with only 3 instead of the usual 6 carriages. This is not a pretty sight, and as you can imagine is rather unpopular! However, it's clearly a necessary evil.

On the plus side, what has been done (at the rear of that unit) actually does look quite good. You'll get the best perspective from this shot. And, at the very least, it's better to have the train in service than having to sacrifice yet another set.
 

D6975

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
3,053
Location
Bristol
It's nice to see a unit being properly painted.
Some units seem to just build up multiple layers of vinyl. :)
 

The_Stig

Member
Joined
20 Jan 2009
Messages
364
I think it looks not bad. I can't wait to see the 'carmine and cream' go, its an awful and dreary livery.
 

387star

On Moderation
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
6,665
Didn't mind the old livery but the new livery is very good- looks more suited to the 380s than 156s perhaps. This time next a year a large proportion of the ex SPT stock should be in the new livery :D
 

Aictos

Established Member
Joined
28 Apr 2009
Messages
10,403
The new Saltire livery although not one of my favourites does look like it will suit the design of the 334 quite well.

Be interesting to see the final product!
 

lm321412

Member
Joined
29 Apr 2010
Messages
537
Location
Birmingham
I like the new Scotrail livery and think its quite a good idea for their services, looks much better than the drab Carmine and Cream which doesn't look very smart at all now to be honest <(
 

route101

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,313
Yeah i like the new FSR livery. Going to be weird seeing the new livery on the 314s and 318s . On the 156s i prefer the blue/ purple interior to the green .
 

68000

Member
Joined
27 Jan 2008
Messages
835
I would much rather have this unit out and about strengthing one of the diagrams rather than the daily crush on some of the services.
 

Bittern

Established Member
Joined
8 Apr 2009
Messages
1,919
Location
Scotland
Don't know if it means anything, but they seem to have been down a 334 last night. Usually the 21:57 Glasgow Central (ex-Dalmuir) to Larkhall is 334 operated, but last night it was 318 operated, which is very odd.
 

rail-britain

Established Member
Joined
12 Aug 2007
Messages
4,102
Don't know if it means anything, but they seem to have been down a 334 last night. Usually the 21:57 Glasgow Central (ex-Dalmuir) to Larkhall is 334 operated, but last night it was 318 operated, which is very odd.
Everything went pear shaped yesterday afternoon after severe delays were encountered on the Argyle Line
 

Bittern

Established Member
Joined
8 Apr 2009
Messages
1,919
Location
Scotland
I see. I used the East Kilbride line to get into Glasgow, so I wouldn't know of anything happening. I did, however, get a nice surprise when 318253 rolled in instead of the usual 334. 318s are far more comfortable, which at that time of night, I was grateful for.
 

route101

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,313
I see. I used the East Kilbride line to get into Glasgow, so I wouldn't know of anything happening. I did, however, get a nice surprise when 318253 rolled in instead of the usual 334. 318s are far more comfortable, which at that time of night, I was grateful for.

Agree the 334 aint as smooth as the 318 . I was on the 1243 ex Ayr on Mon and the 334 was making its usual knocking noise:roll:

What station do you use on the East Kilbride line? I used to use Busby but moved to East Kilbride so use that and the 66/31 bus.
 

Bittern

Established Member
Joined
8 Apr 2009
Messages
1,919
Location
Scotland
Agree the 334 aint as smooth as the 318 . I was on the 1243 ex Ayr on Mon and the 334 was making its usual knocking noise:roll:

I know what you mean. When I went to Ayr by railway a while back (only done that route once), it was 318269 and 318270 together, and they both thundered down the Ayrshire Coast Line as beautifully as ever, but the 334s I got back (with a break at Irvine) was in contrast. The ride wasn't as smooth, or even half as fun.

Plus, 318s doing 90 MPH is just plain awesome. No 334, no bus and no car could ever compare, and I doubt the 380 will either.

What station do you use on the East Kilbride line? I used to use Busby but moved to East Kilbride so use that and the 66/31 bus.

I'm not a EK line regular, but whenever I have to use it, I use EK station itself.

I'll only likely become a EK line regular if they reinstate the railway between Hamilton West and East Kilbride.
 
Last edited:

route101

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,313
ah so busby , clarkston and giffnock must seem foreign to you haha. Im sure if there is a train service from ek to hamilton it would be a hit . East kilbride to edinburgh would too.
 

Bittern

Established Member
Joined
8 Apr 2009
Messages
1,919
Location
Scotland
ah so busby , clarkston and giffnock must seem foreign to you haha.

Not really.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Apparently, she's now sporting the full Saltire livery. Searching for pics atm.
 

class156

Member
Joined
19 Dec 2009
Messages
153
Location
Irvine
I'll look out for it tomorrow as my school has a great view of the Ayr line (well at one side)
 

me123

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2007
Messages
8,510
Apparently, she's now sporting the full Saltire livery. Searching for pics atm.

I've had a look, and I don't think anyone's got it yet. Looking forward to seeing it, though. I think it's going to look quite good.
 

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2008
Messages
12,774
I'm guessing they'll want at least a couple done before the big A-B official opening? As it'll look better for the cameras.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top