• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

318s at Helensburgh and GLC

Status
Not open for further replies.

route101

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,293
How often do 318s get out to Helensburgh and have services operated to Glasgow Central from Helenburgh? Just wondering as i was up there on Sunday.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rail-britain

Established Member
Joined
12 Aug 2007
Messages
4,102
How often do 318s get out to Helensburgh and have services operated to Glasgow Central from Helenburgh? Just wondering as i was up there on Sunday.
Every day, how many depends on availability and diagrams
 

me123

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2007
Messages
8,510
Services never operate between Glasgow Central and Helensburgh at the moment. All trains go through Queen Street Low Level, with most now continuing to Edinburgh. I don't know if Helensburgh services have ever gone via the Low Level, but since I can remember they've always been through Queen Street and onto Airdrie.

318s on the North Clyde duties are a rather rare occurence. They're not booked to go East of Bellgrove or West of Dalmuir in passenger service (other than Sunday runs from the Argyle Line to Balloch). But diagrams aren't necessarily strictly adhered to, and if need be you'll get a 318 going out that way. There's nothing to stop it.
 

Aictos

Established Member
Joined
28 Apr 2009
Messages
10,403
Went on a Class 318 yesterday, ride was very comfortable plus they had decent tables compared to the cup holders that the 317s have not to mention these beautiful murals.

Just hope no one does what FCC did with the 319/2s and put a horrible poster frame bang in the middle of the mural.

Central Belt folks certainly are very lucky to have such decent trains.
 

route101

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,293
Went on a Class 318 yesterday, ride was very comfortable plus they had decent tables compared to the cup holders that the 317s have not to mention these beautiful murals.

Just hope no one does what FCC did with the 319/2s and put a horrible poster frame bang in the middle of the mural.

Central Belt folks certainly are very lucky to have such decent trains.

Yeah FSR trains are very clean . 318s are my fav . Im not keen on the 334s tho . Anyone know if the 3rd platform at Dumbarton is used?
 

The_Stig

Member
Joined
20 Jan 2009
Messages
364
Yeah FSR trains are very clean . 318s are my fav . Im not keen on the 334s tho . Anyone know if the 3rd platform at Dumbarton is used?

It is used if a diagram to Balloch is overly late, it will terminate at Dumbarton central instead of getting boxed in or holding up the next Balloch service.

It was recently used during the bad weather for a Balloch- Dumbarton Central shuttle service.
 

Aictos

Established Member
Joined
28 Apr 2009
Messages
10,403
Yeah FSR trains are very clean . 318s are my fav . Im not keen on the 334s tho . Anyone know if the 3rd platform at Dumbarton is used?

The 334s are good for the job they do, you could be much worse off with regards to the trains you've got there need I say any more ;)

Anyway, when they were doing the works on the A2B line, did they restrict the platform lengths to 6 car train maximum or did they ensure that 8 car trains could in theory use the stations for all or part of the route?
 

MadCommuter

Member
Joined
4 Oct 2010
Messages
736
The 334s are good for the job they do, you could be much worse off with regards to the trains you've got there need I say any more ;)

Am I the only one that prefers a 334 over a 318? The end coaches of a 334 are 2+2 giving you more space, there are arm rests and more airline seats. I find the 318s quite cramped and I'm not looking forward to losing the 334s on the Argyle line.


 

Aictos

Established Member
Joined
28 Apr 2009
Messages
10,403
Am I the only one that prefers a 334 over a 318? The end coaches of a 334 are 2+2 giving you more space, there are arm rests and more airline seats. I find the 318s quite cramped and I'm not looking forward to losing the 334s on the Argyle line.

You didn't note the sarcasm in my post then? I'm a fan of most trains, although if a 14x/15x combination came I tend to make a run for the 15x simply because 14xs are just buses on rail and nothing will change that.

That aside, I was impressed with the trains I used last week although I was slightly miffed that I didn't see any 380s.

The 318s had proper tables compared to the 317s operated by FCC and had a smooth ride although I don't know if that was simply because I had a decent driver or down to the actual train itself.

The 320s were good for commuting, their high points have to be the murals I can only hope that when they go in for the refurbishment works that the murals stay intact.

I like the 334s, when the full allocation of 380s turn up and are in passenger service will there be a 15 minute turnup and go frequency like the Glasgow Queen Street to Edinburgh via Falkirk High services?
 

moonrakerz

Member
Joined
10 Feb 2009
Messages
870
Services never operate between Glasgow Central and Helensburgh at the moment. All trains go through Queen Street Low Level, with most now continuing to Edinburgh. I don't know if Helensburgh services have ever gone via the Low Level, but since I can remember they've always been through Queen Street and onto Airdrie.

I lived in Helensburgh in the 60s/70s and the services were as described above.
There was talk about some trains going to Central at "some time in the future" - don't know if it ever came about.
 

route101

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,293
You didn't note the sarcasm in my post then? I'm a fan of most trains, although if a 14x/15x combination came I tend to make a run for the 15x simply because 14xs are just buses on rail and nothing will change that.

That aside, I was impressed with the trains I used last week although I was slightly miffed that I didn't see any 380s.

The 318s had proper tables compared to the 317s operated by FCC and had a smooth ride although I don't know if that was simply because I had a decent driver or down to the actual train itself.

The 320s were good for commuting, their high points have to be the murals I can only hope that when they go in for the refurbishment works that the murals stay intact.

I like the 334s, when the full allocation of 380s turn up and are in passenger service will there be a 15 minute turnup and go frequency like the Glasgow Queen Street to Edinburgh via Falkirk High services?


A 318 is not nice when its crowded and lacks invidual airlline seats . The 334 seating is too upright and are not as smooth . You cant have it both ways though . I never thought of a reason for Helensburgh services to go to Glasgow Central ha
 

rail-britain

Established Member
Joined
12 Aug 2007
Messages
4,102
in passenger service will there be a 15 minute turnup and go frequency like the Glasgow Queen Street to Edinburgh via Falkirk High services?
I assume you mean via Airdrie and Bathgate
Yes, it will pretty much be a 15 minute frequency, but the journey time makes it worthwhile waiting for the next service via Falkirk High
The main time saving advantage will be those through passengers, thus avoiding needing to change at Glasgow QS
On top of that you also have the (infrequent from Glasgow Central) 30 minute frequency via Shotts

In total this now gives 10 trains per hour between Edinburgh and Glasgow, compare that to just a few years ago...
2.5 trains per hour!
 

Aictos

Established Member
Joined
28 Apr 2009
Messages
10,403
I assume you mean via Airdrie and Bathgate
Yes, it will pretty much be a 15 minute frequency, but the journey time makes it worthwhile waiting for the next service via Falkirk High
The main time saving advantage will be those through passengers, thus avoiding needing to change at Glasgow QS
On top of that you also have the (infrequent from Glasgow Central) 30 minute frequency via Shotts

In total this now gives 10 trains per hour between Edinburgh and Glasgow, compare that to just a few years ago...
2.5 trains per hour!

Yes I did, I know I can turn up at Edinburgh and know there's a train for Queen Street via Falkirk High every 15 minutes (my experience is mainly off peak ie weekends) which is great.

Will there be a mix of both stoppers and express's on the Airdrie and Bathgate?
 

rail-britain

Established Member
Joined
12 Aug 2007
Messages
4,102
Will there be a mix of both stoppers and express's on the Airdrie and Bathgate?
Yes, take a look at the timetables on the ScotRail website, although you need to currently follow the link to them
Not so much express, as semi as they leave out just a few stops making little to no difference to journey time

At just over 60 minutes I am quite sure many people will still be of the opinion it is just better waiting 15 minutes for the next service via Falkirk High
When you look at it that way, ie someone that has just missed such a service, the entry to exit time is identical!
 

317 forever

Established Member
Joined
21 Aug 2010
Messages
3,286
Location
North West
Yes, take a look at the timetables on the ScotRail website, although you need to currently follow the link to them
Not so much express, as semi as they leave out just a few stops making little to no difference to journey time

At just over 60 minutes I am quite sure many people will still be of the opinion it is just better waiting 15 minutes for the next service via Falkirk High
When you look at it that way, ie someone that has just missed such a service, the entry to exit time is identical!

Although, as the crow flies, the route via Bathgate is shorter, I reckon most people would wait for the train via Falkirk High as it stops less often and will feel quicker.
 

route101

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,293
Although, as the crow flies, the route via Bathgate is shorter, I reckon most people would wait for the train via Falkirk High as it stops less often and will feel quicker.

Yeah via Falkirk dosent feel very long but going via Bathgate is a nice change . I live in EK and the xx26train to Glasgow Central gives you a nice connection onto the fast Edinburgh via Shotts service.
 

Damien1986

Member
Joined
19 Oct 2010
Messages
184
Location
Wishaw
Services never operate between Glasgow Central and Helensburgh at the moment. All trains go through Queen Street Low Level, with most now continuing to Edinburgh. I don't know if Helensburgh services have ever gone via the Low Level, but since I can remember they've always been through Queen Street and onto Airdrie.

318s on the North Clyde duties are a rather rare occurence. They're not booked to go East of Bellgrove or West of Dalmuir in passenger service (other than Sunday runs from the Argyle Line to Balloch). But diagrams aren't necessarily strictly adhered to, and if need be you'll get a 318 going out that way. There's nothing to stop it.

I have been on a class 318 unit from Glasgow Queen Street to Partick(1724 Drumgelloch to Helensburgh Central via Singer) back in November 2009!
 

philjo

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2009
Messages
3,021
I was on a 318 from Ardrossan Harbour to Glasgow on Tuesday. The trains are comfortable but they need to use a train with more luggage space for the Ardrossan Harbour services (& maybe 4 coaches instead of 3).
Most people (including myself) had joined at the harbour off the ferry from Arran returning after Easter & the majority had suitcases with them so the train was almost full.
 

me123

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2007
Messages
8,510
...well, you'll be glad to know that the 380s have plenty of luggage room (for the two airport links, one of which is no more), and some will have four carriages! :D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I have been on a class 318 unit from Glasgow Queen Street to Partick(1724 Drumgelloch to Helensburgh Central via Singer) back in November 2009!

Does happen occasionally, as I mentioned (albeit less often now that most Helensburgh services go to/from Edinburgh). There's nothing to stop 318s going out to Helensburgh, but they just aren't diagrammed to do so (and haven't been for some time I believe).

Most commonly, a 318 will end up on Milngavie-Airdrie runs (although, again, that will stop when they run through to Edinburgh). Because the Argyle Line also terminates here, I presume it's just a case of units shuffling around that causes this.
 
Last edited:

rail-britain

Established Member
Joined
12 Aug 2007
Messages
4,102
Every day, how many depends on availability and diagrams
My apologies, been looking into this more
I've been to Helensburgh on a few weekends, and every time there has been a Class 318 there
As previous, during weekdays Class 318 units primarily operate through Glasgow Central (due to their retention tanks), so therefore tend to operate from Dalmuir and Milngavie
More recently Class 318 units are sharing diagrams with Class 320 units through Glasgow QS and this is likely to increase throughout 2011 into 2012
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I was on a 318 from Ardrossan Harbour to Glasgow on Tuesday. The trains are comfortable but they need to use a train with more luggage space for the Ardrossan Harbour services (& maybe 4 coaches instead of 3).
Most people (including myself) had joined at the harbour off the ferry from Arran returning after Easter & the majority had suitcases with them so the train was almost full.
As above, this has been an increasing issue over the years
When the Class 318 units were originally introduced every effort was made to ensure specific diagrams to/from Ardrossan Harbour were a pair of Class 318 units (ie 6 coaches)
Due to a variety of factors this basically became no longer possible
However, with the introduction of Class 380 units and the lengthening of Ardrossan Harbour this is likely to be resolved in the short term with the operation of pairs, giving 6 or 7 coaches
Equally, even a basic 4 coaches is better than the current provision of a 3 coach unit

An even worse situation has arisen at Prestwick Airport, as passenger numbers have increased dramatically, whilst there has been little or no change at Ardrossan Harbour
Robbing Peter to serve Paul...
 
Last edited:

route101

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,293
My apologies, been looking into this more
I've been to Helensburgh on a few weekends, and every time there has been a Class 318 there
As previous, during weekdays Class 318 units primarily operate through Glasgow Central (due to their retention tanks), so therefore tend to operate from Dalmuir and Milngavie
More recently Class 318 units are sharing diagrams with Class 320 units through Glasgow QS and this is likely to increase throughout 2011 into 2012
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

As above, this has been an increasing issue over the years
When the Class 318 units were originally introduced every effort was made to ensure specific diagrams to/from Ardrossan Harbour were a pair of Class 318 units (ie 6 coaches)
Due to a variety of factors this basically became no longer possible
However, with the introduction of Class 380 units and the lengthening of Ardrossan Harbour this is likely to be resolved in the short term with the operation of pairs, giving 6 or 7 coaches
Equally, even a basic 4 coaches is better than the current provision of a 3 coach unit

An even worse situation has arisen at Prestwick Airport, as passenger numbers have increased dramatically, whilst there has been little or no change at Ardrossan Harbour
Robbing Peter to serve Paul...

When i was up at Helensburgh there was 320s sitting there on the juice yet only services to and from Edinburgh operating . Didnt see any 318s . Saw one on a Balloch service . Prestwicks Numbers should be falling as Ryaniar have cut back flights from there .
 

rail-britain

Established Member
Joined
12 Aug 2007
Messages
4,102
Prestwicks Numbers should be falling as Ryaniar have cut back flights from there .
I doubt this will have little effect, some routes have been cut back but these weren't all that popular anyway
It is still a vast increase in passengers, year on year, and this is the issue
From a Ryanair point of view, fewer aircraft but those that do fly are full

I used Ryanair many years ago and the flight had about 30 people on it, the same flight now is full equally using a larger aircraft
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top