• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

3000 applicants so far for TPE trainee dvr jobs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eduardo

Member
Joined
7 Jun 2011
Messages
83
Hi Kayla

It's hard to say. Most remaining at this level will probably have done a fair degree of research and practice so it's going to be close.

One can only hope to progress to the interviews where the decision will be made for the best suited candidates.

I'm not too confident from my assessment on Wednesday.

I found the glop the most difficult. I think I may of got a few wrong there.

Dials and Bourdon are more up my street. :)

How do you think you did?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lanc688

Member
Joined
20 May 2012
Messages
227
Location
Lincolnshire
FTPE do seem to keep their cards close to their chests. Quite surprising really that the results are not given on the day.

When you go for the tests at DBS, you are informed in fairly short order of your result.

Were there many guys/gals at your assessment days?

Lanc
 

doubleamber

Member
Joined
6 Oct 2011
Messages
118
Location
lincolnshire
I was told At DBS the sameday I had passed all the test for the network rail drivers suitability test. But then again I was paying for it out my own pocket!

And Lanc, I was the only person at DBS at my asessment day.
 

Silv1983

Member
Joined
8 Jun 2012
Messages
527
Location
Somewhere in Stockport
Glad to see so many forum users plugging through the stages and starting to get a glimpse of a the finishing line. I failed in my application for fTPE at the application stage - I didn't meet the "criteria": although strangly enough I've just been accepted by Northern Rail for one of their driver positions having laboured through all stages of the process. Just goes to show you never can tell and to stay positive - even in defeat at the first attempt.
I don't know where you guys are doing the assessments - mine was at DBS and was a full day. Not sure I like the thought the idea of this staggered business. Anyway, i'll continue to monitor everyones progress with interest and contribute when I can.

Silv
 

Lanc688

Member
Joined
20 May 2012
Messages
227
Location
Lincolnshire
Glad to see so many forum users plugging through the stages and starting to get a glimpse of a the finishing line. I failed in my application for fTPE at the application stage - I didn't meet the "criteria": although strangly enough I've just been accepted by Northern Rail for one of their driver positions having laboured through all stages of the process. Just goes to show you never can tell and to stay positive - even in defeat at the first attempt.
I don't know where you guys are doing the assessments - mine was at DBS and was a full day. Not sure I like the thought the idea of this staggered business. Anyway, i'll continue to monitor everyones progress with interest and contribute when I can.

Silv

Good on ya Silv ! :)

Thanks for posting your success....hope there's many more !

Regards
Lanc
 

TheVicLine

Member
Joined
21 Aug 2012
Messages
446
Location
Liverpool
Hi Kayla

It's hard to say. Most remaining at this level will probably have done a fair degree of research and practice so it's going to be close.

One can only hope to progress to the interviews where the decision will be made for the best suited candidates.

I'm not too confident from my assessment on Wednesday.

I found the glop the most difficult. I think I may of got a few wrong there.

Dials and Bourdon are more up my street. :)

How do you think you did?

Everone in our group said they struggled with the Glop test, I found the other two test fairly easy but I guess it's hard to judge it so will have to just wait now.
TPE get the results back tomorrow then it's up to them to distribute them.

I think that there were about 50 in total taking the tests, one guy in our group didn't turn up and a few of the candidates really weren't bothered either way if they passed or not.

I guess once the tests are all out the way is when it starts to get serious.
 

kayla101

Member
Joined
22 Aug 2012
Messages
32
Hi Kayla

It's hard to say. Most remaining at this level will probably have done a fair degree of research and practice so it's going to be close.

One can only hope to progress to the interviews where the decision will be made for the best suited candidates.

I'm not too confident from my assessment on Wednesday.

I found the glop the most difficult. I think I may of got a few wrong there.

Dials and Bourdon are more up my street. :)

How do you think you did?

Hey,

I found the GLOP was ok, don't get me wrong I struggled a bit on some questions, and took a couple of wild guesses, but after conferring it sounds like I may have just got lucky on one of those! I got to 32 on dials test, so I hope they were all accurate!

I agree with you on the research front - myself included!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Everone in our group said they struggled with the Glop test, I found the other two test fairly easy but I guess it's hard to judge it so will have to just wait now.
TPE get the results back tomorrow then it's up to them to distribute them.

I think that there were about 50 in total taking the tests, one guy in our group didn't turn up and a few of the candidates really weren't bothered either way if they passed or not.

I guess once the tests are all out the way is when it starts to get serious.

Can't believe someone would get this far and then just not show up, statistically better, but still crazy and a waste of someone's time filling in an application form!!
I must say though, everyone in my group seemed keen & equally as nervous as me!!
 

Sammy h

Member
Joined
25 May 2011
Messages
420
REJECTED!

Just logged in to the application form, didn't receive an e-mail, but it looks like I am no longer awaiting shortlisting :( Good luck people!!
 

kayla101

Member
Joined
22 Aug 2012
Messages
32
Just got an unsuccessful from last weeks assessment. Gutted to say the least!!

Good luck to everyone who's still hanging in there
 

Beveridges

Established Member
Joined
8 Sep 2010
Messages
2,136
Location
BLACKPOOL
Thats typical - although I did not apply for this latest round - but I was always rejected 100% of the time at app form stage whenever I applied with First Group in the past (this is going back 2+ years!) Try Northern instead much more chance of getting a better response.
 

henryedward61

Member
Joined
31 Jul 2012
Messages
12
Both my First Group applications are still 'awaiting shortlisting', after almost two months, that is just stupid, regardless of the applicant numbers.

Thank god I already have a job with NR confirmed otherwise I would soon be going mad.

Good luck everyone who is still hanging in there.

They say patience is a virtue; never more so than when in pursuit of this vocation.:D
 

kayla101

Member
Joined
22 Aug 2012
Messages
32
Just got the email and i'm in, next round is Manchester on 28th Sep.

Congrats!!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Does anyone know the number I can ring to get some feedback on my assessment? I'd like to know where I went wrong, for next time!!

I've called general enquiries who said there isn't a HR number?? Help if you can please.
 

WannabeTD

Member
Joined
18 Sep 2012
Messages
47
Congrats vic. I have just received my email for the 27th. How was yours worded? Mine said "you are invited to an assessment day." Seemed
Strange wording on the email.
 

TheVicLine

Member
Joined
21 Aug 2012
Messages
446
Location
Liverpool
Thats typical - although I did not apply for this latest round - but I was always rejected 100% of the time at app form stage whenever I applied with First Group in the past (this is going back 2+ years!) Try Northern instead much more chance of getting a better response.

TPE (or First Group as a whole) do not accept borderline assessment passes and other TOCs do so it is well worth chasing them up as it may be that people have passed the assessments but just not reached TPE's criteria. This would have an impact on any future applications for drivers jobs. Also failure means no that you cannot re-sit the tests for 6 months however a borderline pass could/should be a pass with another TOC and there would also be no need to re-sit the parts already taken.

Kayla, unlucky this time mate but keep plugging away at it. The assessments were carried out by OPC http://www.theopc.co.uk/ so they may be able to advise you of your results. The OPC person who did the tests for my group said that we would get our results direct from TPE and that they would show how we had done but I didn't get anything like that, just an email.
 

samuraizion

New Member
Joined
28 Aug 2012
Messages
4
Hey i failed on the bourdon to the ones who passed what roughly line did you get down too i think i went too fast private msg me
 

Lanc688

Member
Joined
20 May 2012
Messages
227
Location
Lincolnshire
Hey i failed on the bourdon to the ones who passed what roughly line did you get down too i think i went too fast private msg me

In practice I was achieving 55-59 lines (1450-1500 sets) with no errors and one or two ommissions.

Not the fastest I know, but the no errors part is important I would suggest and earned me a good pass.

Regards
Lanc

PS...that would equate to 11-12 lines in the actual test for each 2 minute period.
 
Last edited:

Beveridges

Established Member
Joined
8 Sep 2010
Messages
2,136
Location
BLACKPOOL
I was managing 1600 on the practice software with varying omissions (0-2) and achieved an outstanding pass
 

Eduardo

Member
Joined
7 Jun 2011
Messages
83
Hey i failed on the bourdon to the ones who passed what roughly line did you get down too i think i went too fast private msg me

How did you establish what area you failed on?

I got the thumbs down today also. I'm gutted.

I put a lot of time and effort into the Bourdon and reaction stuff.

I'm kicking myself that I did'nt practice the memory recollection.

I knew on the day I'd cocked up on the glop test.

No one to blame but myself.

Just have to accept it and take the positives out of the experience.

I have got a great insight into the selection process and next time, if there is a next time, I'll make sure that I hammer those memory tests.

Good luck to those through. Wish you all the best.
 

Lanc688

Member
Joined
20 May 2012
Messages
227
Location
Lincolnshire
How did you establish what area you failed on?

I got the thumbs down today also. I'm gutted.

I put a lot of time and effort into the Bourdon and reaction stuff.

I'm kicking myself that I did'nt practice the memory recollection.

I knew on the day I'd cocked up on the glop test.

No one to blame but myself.

Just have to accept it and take the positives out of the experience.

I have got a great insight into the selection process and next time, if there is a next time, I'll make sure that I hammer those memory tests.

Good luck to those through. Wish you all the best.

Eduardo,

Great attitude....I imagine that will serve you well in the next attempt, of which i am sure there will be one soon.

I'm far from there myself mate....but I'll keep trying also if the need arises.

Regards
Lanc
 

Shrimper

Member
Joined
14 Apr 2012
Messages
347
Thumbs down for me as well. I was a little surprised as I genuinely though I'd done quite well; though obviously I have no idea whether I missed the mark by millimetres or miles!

Hopefully can succeed after 6 months; meanwhile best of luck to those who remain in the process!
 

notadriver

Established Member
Joined
1 Oct 2010
Messages
3,737
Thumbs down for me as well. I was a little surprised as I genuinely though I'd done quite well; though obviously I have no idea whether I missed the mark by millimetres or miles!

Hopefully can succeed after 6 months; meanwhile best of luck to those who remain in the process!

Sorry to hear Shrimper. As a fellow bus driver I always thought the progression from bus to train driver would be straightforward. Not so it seems.
 

Beveridges

Established Member
Joined
8 Sep 2010
Messages
2,136
Location
BLACKPOOL
The best way to pass the Glop test is to find out what is in the passage by asking people who have done it before. Or if you have already done it, remember some of the stuff that was in it for next time. No practicing memory tests is needed, and I dont think they will help.
I made some notes on this test right after I did this test. Although I cant repeat the passage word for word, I can repeat most of the most important info that is found in the passage. Remember it and you wont need to have such a good memory on the day.
 

TheVicLine

Member
Joined
21 Aug 2012
Messages
446
Location
Liverpool
I was managing 1600 on the practice software with varying omissions (0-2) and achieved an outstanding pass

Blimey that's good!

On the software I was managing 1000 - 1100 with a couple of omissions.

Who knows what I did on the day but that's got to be a good guide, was making it about 2/3 rds of the way down each of the 5 pages but I found the paper version a lot easier than doing it on the computer. But again like I said I have no idea what I did on the day and TPS didn't say either so it's anybodys guess there.
 

Merrydown

Member
Joined
11 Sep 2012
Messages
50
Location
Newcastle
This is the most bizarre recruitment process I've ever known!
Tomorrow I will be sitting the fault finding test and having read the previous pages,some are still awaiting the shortlisting or are at the second stage of the drivers assessment stage.
I've already got a valid assessment pass and I'm currently "Out of ticket" according to TPE having not driven in Ten years due relocation and a career change.
 

doubleamber

Member
Joined
6 Oct 2011
Messages
118
Location
lincolnshire
I think they must check to see if you had taken a private assessment because only got a borderline pass on the reaction test and was one of the first to get my dear John letter.
Don't know if you could take just that part again . With me being a bit of a playstation addict I thought I would breeze though that one, I practiced the GB on the pc and managed a very good pass.
I don't know if there is anywhere you can go and practice on 1 of them machines, I have even thought about doing the whole private assessment again, the rules say if you fail it twice you can't take it again, nothing about how many times you can take it.
 

Beveridges

Established Member
Joined
8 Sep 2010
Messages
2,136
Location
BLACKPOOL
Blimey that's good!

On the software I was managing 1000 - 1100 with a couple of omissions.

Who knows what I did on the day but that's got to be a good guide


I knew someone who was achieving 2300+ on the practice software! With 5 or so omissions. He was determined to reach the maximum score which I think is 2500 and complete the whole thing within the time. I just stopped practicing when I knew I could comfortably reach a speed that is well above the required pass rate, I never saw it as "fun" like that other person did.
 

Lanc688

Member
Joined
20 May 2012
Messages
227
Location
Lincolnshire
I knew someone who was achieving 2300+ on the practice software! With 5 or so omissions. He was determined to reach the maximum score which I think is 2500 and complete the whole thing within the time. I just stopped practicing when I knew I could comfortably reach a speed that is well above the required pass rate, I never saw it as "fun" like that other person did.

Not always an attribute compatible with a safety critical role I would suggest, but then again he's maybe driving now; Lets hope he's not trying to reach the maximum in the cab...lol. However it amazes me how some people can do this so fast.

Lanc
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top