• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

3000 applicants so far for TPE trainee dvr jobs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheVicLine

Member
Joined
21 Aug 2012
Messages
446
Location
Liverpool
Me too Phil, any idea what it's all about?

Picking out sequences of numbers that don't match. I only answered 40, I got them all right but I don't think that's enough!
I'm still waiting my results from Wednesdays TPE assessment so fingers crossed on that one. These processes have been a lot harder than what I was faced joining the police and getting promoted.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---


Have you heard anything yet, HR said we should get the results this week?[/QUOTE]

Had a look on the Northern Rail forum and it gave an outline of the test but to be honest it was pretty straight forward as i guess was how most people found it, just did I do enough in the 5 mins allocated. Didn't get an idea of how many I did just got a pop up box saying time over at the end, and the question page froze half way through but was only for a few seconds so no worries, even thought maybe they all do that to see how you compose yourself?

The HR Manager at my TPE assessment (Thursday) said hopefully Friday if not the early part of next week, but this was the HR Manager who said the top 50 scores would go on to the full assessments at their head office on 12th and 13th which was different from what you were told so who knows when.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sunday_mornin

Member
Joined
8 Jun 2012
Messages
254
Location
Wigan
With regards the Visual test some of you guys have done for Northern, it is simply a pre-screening and is done before any short listing. Unfortunately I wouldn't imagine 40 answers, even if all correct would be sufficient enough to progress.
Advice to anyone about to sit this test, use a proper mouse, the finger pads fitted on some laptops will slow you down and could potentially rob you of a few valuable answers.

I hope my giving advice hasn't offended anyone.

Ian
 

PhilC

Member
Joined
16 Aug 2012
Messages
25
With regards the Visual test some of you guys have done for Northern, it is simply a pre-screening and is done before any short listing. Unfortunately I wouldn't imagine 40 answers, even if all correct would be sufficient enough to progress.
Advice to anyone about to sit this test, use a proper mouse, the finger pads fitted on some laptops will slow you down and could potentially rob you of a few valuable answers.

I hope my giving advice hasn't offended anyone.

Ian

I agree in using a mouse. I used the finger pad! Definitely not offended by your advice, I wouldn't be disappointed if I don't progress with Northern, I really can't afford the pay drop training and top rate is still below my current salary. However I will be disappointed if I fail TPE as their rate is online with a top rate Sgt!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I agree in using a mouse. I used the finger pad! Definitely not offended by your advice, I wouldn't be disappointed if I don't progress with Northern, I really can't afford the pay drop training and top rate is still below my current salary. However I will be disappointed if I fail TPE as their rate is online with a first year Sgt!

..............
 

Beveridges

Established Member
Joined
8 Sep 2010
Messages
2,136
Location
BLACKPOOL
If even the top rate is below your current salary (and it takes 36 months to get onto the top rate!), how come you applied?
The top rate is above my current salary but it is the fact that it takes so long to get onto the top rate is one thing that puts me off applying for mainline. The year 1 training rate is well below my salary and the year 1 post qualifying rate is very similar to my current salary but for doing a lot more work, the year 2 & 3+ salary is higher but I'd still be worse off for another couple of years due to the first year being such a large loss. Thats why I've stopped banging in the applications.
 
Last edited:

E16 Cyclist

Member
Joined
14 Oct 2011
Messages
208
Location
London
If even the top rate is below your current salary (and it takes 36 months to get onto the top rate!), how come you applied?
The top rate is above my current salary but it is the fact that it takes so long to get onto the top rate is one thing that puts me off applying for mainline. The year 1 training rate is well below my salary and the year 1 post qualifying rate is very similar to my current salary but for doing a lot more work, the year 2 & 3+ salary is higher but I'd still be worse off for another couple of years due to the first year being such a large loss. Thats why I've stopped banging in the applications.

Or looking at it a different way, that'll be a major plus to your application because it shows your not applying for the salary that a lot of people these days do
 

PhilC

Member
Joined
16 Aug 2012
Messages
25
Thanks, how many did you get to? Hope we hear back tomorrow :D

Annual leave booked and ready for 12th and 13th September...

I got onto question 10 and filled in the first fault box, I didn't get time to establish if there were 2 faults.
I'm in Turkey for the next assessments, so If I pass I have to fund the assessments myself through DB Schencker.
 

kayla101

Member
Joined
22 Aug 2012
Messages
32
I got onto question 10 and filled in the first fault box, I didn't get time to establish if there were 2 faults.
I'm in Turkey for the next assessments, so If I pass I have to fund the assessments myself through DB Schencker.

No way.... Ah bad timing man. Enjoy your holiday though. I don't think I'd dare not attend, want this so much!!

Wouldn't a couple of convenient, cheap flights be cheaper?! Just a thought.
 

ANDY87

New Member
Joined
3 Sep 2012
Messages
3
Hi guys,

I'm a long term reader, first time poster on the forum. I was just wondering if someone in the know may be able to help me out??

I applied for this role quite a while back, and well before the deadline, however my application still says "awaiting short listing"??

Does anyone know if TPE are recruiting by depot, first come first serve etc?

I congratulate anyone who has completed any assessments and passed to further stages, and wish everyone well. I'm just getting a little nervous that all places may be accounted for soon. Is anyone else in the same predicament?

I hope someone can help me out,

Regards,

Andy
 

PhilC

Member
Joined
16 Aug 2012
Messages
25
No way.... Ah bad timing man. Enjoy your holiday though. I don't think I'd dare not attend, want this so much!!

Wouldn't a couple of convenient, cheap flights be cheaper?! Just a thought.

There are no cheap flights from Turkey. If I pass £165 is worth it for the assessments.
 

MR_P

Member
Joined
24 Apr 2012
Messages
88
Location
Cambs
Hi guys,

I'm a long term reader, first time poster on the forum. I was just wondering if someone in the know may be able to help me out??

I applied for this role quite a while back, and well before the deadline, however my application still says "awaiting short listing"??

Does anyone know if TPE are recruiting by depot, first come first serve etc?

I congratulate anyone who has completed any assessments and passed to further stages, and wish everyone well. I'm just getting a little nervous that all places may be accounted for soon. Is anyone else in the same predicament?

I hope someone can help me out,

Regards,

Andy

Hi Andy,

I'm in the same predicament - I also have an application in for First Capital Connect which has been 'on hold' now for 6 months.

I'm guessing it works like this - Applications that pass the initial 'computer sift' get marked as 'Awaiting shortlisting'.

Then personnel goes through them, but in what order I don't know until they have the amount they want to send to testing, but also turning down those that they think are unsuitable. These people are then contacted, the rest are left 'Awaiting shortlisting'.

If not enough from the initial amount pass they then check more applications and so on.

Unfortunately they do say if you've have not heard within six months you will have to apply again - as I had with one a couple of years ago which is now marked as unsuccessful.

So I would say unless they suddenly need alot more staff we are probably not going to get any further with this particular application. Hopefully I am wrong!

Good luck to those taking tests now.
 
Last edited:

SkinnyDave

Established Member
Joined
11 Mar 2012
Messages
1,242
I rang HR and was told that people score highest get put through 1st.
Others are on reserve list or application not been read yet.
Those that have a pass grade from prev assesment may be getting put trough to
interview stage.
 

ANDY87

New Member
Joined
3 Sep 2012
Messages
3
Hi Mr_P,

Thanks for the reply. It would be really interesting to find out how all this recruitment works? The main reason for worrying is because I thought the "awaiting short listing" would have been the computerised part, which I thought would be automated??

Maybe from people who have passed the first stages, does anyone know if TPE are still putting together testing in groups? or is it now a case of if someone is not suitable, a new applicant is selected?

I still hold out for hope, as the closing date was only 14/08, so maybe it just seems to be taking a while because I check every day!!

Does anyone have any update on how many positions are still available for each depot??

Regards,

Andy
 

MR_P

Member
Joined
24 Apr 2012
Messages
88
Location
Cambs
Hi Mr_P,

Thanks for the reply. It would be really interesting to find out how all this recruitment works? The main reason for worrying is because I thought the "awaiting short listing" would have been the computerised part, which I thought would be automated??

Regards,

Andy

Don't think so - When you fill in the form initially and complete it, I think the computerised part checks your answers in the radio boxes and scores them and may also check the text for spelling/inappropriate words. If you don't score enough you will get an email literally within ten minutes saying sorry you have failed.
 

TheVicLine

Member
Joined
21 Aug 2012
Messages
446
Location
Liverpool
Hi Mr_P,

Thanks for the reply. It would be really interesting to find out how all this recruitment works? The main reason for worrying is because I thought the "awaiting short listing" would have been the computerised part, which I thought would be automated??

Maybe from people who have passed the first stages, does anyone know if TPE are still putting together testing in groups? or is it now a case of if someone is not suitable, a new applicant is selected?

I still hold out for hope, as the closing date was only 14/08, so maybe it just seems to be taking a while because I check every day!!

Does anyone have any update on how many positions are still available for each depot??


Regards,

Andy

There are 10 positions for the intake in January, the HR manager at last weeks assessments stated that there would be another 10 for June who would be put on hold, so potentialy 20 place in total.
We were also told that the shortlist was 150 people and that this would be cut to the top 50 after the first assessment, however another group were told that the first assessment was a simple pass or fail so who knows.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Yes! Through to the next round in Manchester next Thursday. Good luck everyone else who is going for it. I only answered 11 questions out of the 20 for those waiting to hear and wondering if they did enough.
 

kayla101

Member
Joined
22 Aug 2012
Messages
32
Yes! Through to the next round in Manchester next Thursday. Good luck everyone else who is going for it. I only answered 11 questions out of the 20 for those waiting to hear and wondering if they did enough.

Heyyyyyy I'm through too!! I'm there Wednesday. Congrats! I answered 12...
 

PhilC

Member
Joined
16 Aug 2012
Messages
25
There are 10 positions for the intake in January, the HR manager at last weeks assessments stated that there would be another 10 for June who would be put on hold, so potentialy 20 place in total.
We were also told that the shortlist was 150 people and that this would be cut to the top 50 after the first assessment, however another group were told that the first assessment was a simple pass or fail so who knows.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Yes! Through to the next round in Manchester next Thursday. Good luck everyone else who is going for it. I only answered 11 questions out of the 20 for those waiting to hear and wondering if they did enough.

Congrats! When did you sit your test? I'm still waiting for my results. I sat it Wed at 12:00hrs
 

david040680

New Member
Joined
20 Aug 2012
Messages
2
Location
st helens
well done to you both. I'm still waiting too, but I have phoned the HR and they told me mine is still in the process of getting assessed.
 

Shrimper

Member
Joined
14 Apr 2012
Messages
347
I got through as well; I was on the Thursday AM sitting.

Now to try and wangle the afternoon off work without revealing reasons!
 

Neil73

Member
Joined
12 Jul 2012
Messages
141
Location
Chorley
I applied on 7th August for this role and am still awaiting to be sifted. As now some people have had invites to assessments and indeed been invited onto the next stage, would it now seem almost certain that those of us who are in the same position as me have 'missed the boat' so to speak?
 

PhilC

Member
Joined
16 Aug 2012
Messages
25
I applied on 7th August for this role and am still awaiting to be sifted. As now some people have had invites to assessments and indeed been invited onto the next stage, would it now seem almost certain that those of us who are in the same position as me have 'missed the boat' so to speak?

Hi Neil, I don't think anybody other than First themselves could answer that. I'm still waiting for the results from the assessment the other week and people who sat the assessment the following day have already been invited to the next stage. I assuming that I have probably failed at this stage!
 

Neil73

Member
Joined
12 Jul 2012
Messages
141
Location
Chorley
To all those applicants who are 'awaiting shortlisting'.

I have just received an e-mail from the careers dept and basically they are currently awaiting for the results of shortlisting from the line manager. The invitations to assessments which have curremtly been undertaken are done in batches due to the high volume of applications.

So it seems all is not lost, there are not any hidden agendas or first come first served attitudes. It appears to be just a waiting game. :roll:

Good luck to all
 

Silv1983

Member
Joined
8 Jun 2012
Messages
527
Location
Somewhere in Stockport
Just received my email from First - I've 'not met the criteria on this occasion'. Probably down to my stubborness to refuse to use American spelling and remove unrecognised words from my app. Still, down to the last 8 with Northern! So not that fussed. Best of luck to those still waiting.
 

GadgetMan

Member
Joined
9 Jan 2012
Messages
981
Got my unsuccessful email too. And now barred from applying for Driver roles in the First group for 3 months. :(
 

k_123

New Member
Joined
5 Sep 2012
Messages
2
To all those applicants who are 'awaiting shortlisting'.

I have just received an e-mail from the careers dept and basically they are currently awaiting for the results of shortlisting from the line manager. The invitations to assessments which have curremtly been undertaken are done in batches due to the high volume of applications.

So it seems all is not lost, there are not any hidden agendas or first come first served attitudes. It appears to be just a waiting game. :roll:

Good luck to all

Hey, I applied on the 7th too and my application is stuck in the 'awaiting shortlisting' stage. Not heard a peep from them, so no news is good news and all that. Your reply from the careers dept seemed encouraging though, so keep smiling and keep those fingers crossed!
 

Shrimper

Member
Joined
14 Apr 2012
Messages
347
Got my unsuccessful email too. And now barred from applying for Driver roles in the First group for 3 months. :(

Don't worry too much; I've previously applied twice before being lucky on my third attempt, and I'm now through to stage 2 of the assessments. I think when I was last rejected it was a 6 month no re-application policy, so you never know what might happen in the future.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top