sleepy_hollow
Member
- Joined
- 9 Jan 2018
- Messages
- 177
On the 19th February 2024, a smooth first journey from Sea Mills (SML) to Severn Beach (SVB), only a few minutes late, a two car class 165 diesel multiple unit (DMU) with four other bicycles, three large. Nearly forgot to tap out at SVB, but walked back 20 metres and all the days PAYG (Pay As You Go) taps were recorded and correctly charged.
Arriving at Yate about 1520 (BST (British Standard Time) 24 hour clock) the 1534 was on the screen for 1537, followed after a while by an announcement that it would be 11 minutes (min) late but the screen did not change and it did arrive about 1637.
This was a three car 165 for Weymouth, nominally without cycle accommodation - plenty of space so used the luggage rack in the centre car as the neatest place
Near Lawrence Hill the guard announced that there would be a 'set swap' at Bristol Temple Meads (BRI) with arrival on Platform (P) 9 and an onward train to Weymouth on Platform 11. (This happened last time I took a Weymouth train from Yate, last autumn, only then it was described as 'will terminate at BRI'. Perhaps 'Set Swap' sounds less as though something has gone wrong. Unfortunately two samples some months apart do not allow a statistically valid assessment of whether this is normal practice for this Weymouth train or whether the railway starts fitting as soon as I sally forth.
There were several short slow moves forward during arrival, which I assumed was coupling, presumably to prepare a job lot of Network Turbo trains for a trip to the scrapyard, although there oddly were people waiting to board. On the platform I checked and the train was indeed coupled to another set and apparently now the 1608 for Gloucester, although I could not find such a thing on Real Time Trains (RTT).
The screens were flashing P3 for Avonmouth (AVN), which I remembered meant a completed, not an imminent, platform change so went straight to 3 for the 1612, which arrived shortly after. During the short wait I heard a platform change for the Weymouth passengers on Platform 11. To P5 according to RTT, which interestingly does not show a failure cause, the journey to Weymouth being shown as seamless with a sudden roughly quarter hour delay at BRI, and the only clue to the anomaly, different DMU sets being listed before and after BRI. The 1612 AVN was a 166 so I used the usual bicycle space in the centre car.
[Date corrected and inserted on 24 Feb 24]
Arriving at Yate about 1520 (BST (British Standard Time) 24 hour clock) the 1534 was on the screen for 1537, followed after a while by an announcement that it would be 11 minutes (min) late but the screen did not change and it did arrive about 1637.
This was a three car 165 for Weymouth, nominally without cycle accommodation - plenty of space so used the luggage rack in the centre car as the neatest place
Near Lawrence Hill the guard announced that there would be a 'set swap' at Bristol Temple Meads (BRI) with arrival on Platform (P) 9 and an onward train to Weymouth on Platform 11. (This happened last time I took a Weymouth train from Yate, last autumn, only then it was described as 'will terminate at BRI'. Perhaps 'Set Swap' sounds less as though something has gone wrong. Unfortunately two samples some months apart do not allow a statistically valid assessment of whether this is normal practice for this Weymouth train or whether the railway starts fitting as soon as I sally forth.
There were several short slow moves forward during arrival, which I assumed was coupling, presumably to prepare a job lot of Network Turbo trains for a trip to the scrapyard, although there oddly were people waiting to board. On the platform I checked and the train was indeed coupled to another set and apparently now the 1608 for Gloucester, although I could not find such a thing on Real Time Trains (RTT).
The screens were flashing P3 for Avonmouth (AVN), which I remembered meant a completed, not an imminent, platform change so went straight to 3 for the 1612, which arrived shortly after. During the short wait I heard a platform change for the Weymouth passengers on Platform 11. To P5 according to RTT, which interestingly does not show a failure cause, the journey to Weymouth being shown as seamless with a sudden roughly quarter hour delay at BRI, and the only clue to the anomaly, different DMU sets being listed before and after BRI. The 1612 AVN was a 166 so I used the usual bicycle space in the centre car.
[Date corrected and inserted on 24 Feb 24]
Last edited:


