• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

24 hour stations in London

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsr

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2011
Messages
7,400
Location
Between the parallel lines
Be warned, a friend of mine was mugged on East Croydon while waiting for a Gatwick train in the early hours not so long ago, and that was on the concourse. The overstretched police were called, but didn't appear within the hour so he just continued on his way.

I spend a lot of time at all hours at East Croydon (work, mainly), and that's surprisingly rare on the station. Indeed, no specific person has ever approached me to say they've been mugged during the course of the last few years. The ramp end, thus the main high-level concourse, is the main route used by station staff between platforms, and therefore people are either kept an eye on or tend to wander off (or get removed) if they're up to no good.

Just outside the station is a different story entirely, and most certainly not recommended. At all.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Statto

Established Member
Joined
8 Feb 2011
Messages
4,104
Location
At home or at the pub
One idea this is where a paper Travelcard Zone 1-6 comes in handy & do a couple of night buses instead, & One day Travelcards are valid until 04.30 the following day, one plan could be;
Last X26 23.15 West Croydon-Heathrow Central
N9 Heathrow Central-Trafalgar Square
N199 Trafalgar Square-Orpington Station
if you get the 02.35 to Orpington, the bus arrives just after 04.00, first train is just after 04.30
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,942
Location
Fenny Stratford
Acton main line as no barriers, and as access 24 hrs every day. Willesden junction station closed after last train, but there is a public footbridge over the WCML, parallel to the north London Line on the overground depot side. 266 bus runs throughout the night between the the two stations, every 30 minutes every night, journey time about 10 minutes.

I wouldn't want to hang about Willesden during the day let a lone at stupid o'clock in the morning!
 
Joined
5 Jan 2014
Messages
570
I wouldn't want to hang about Willesden during the day let a lone at stupid o'clock in the morning!

To use the modern vernacular, I am quite surprised at the number of "Snowflakes" on this forum. I have never felt unsafe in London or any other large city.
 

Segedunum

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Joined
22 Dec 2013
Messages
4,755
Location
Up North
I've never travelled around London post midnight due to normally needing to be up early the next day but I wouldn't decide against it purely on safety grounds as I've always felt safe in London, even late on.

The Chingford line from Liverpool Street has a last departure at 0103 (arriving Chingford 0129) and of course you'll have connections onto the night tube at Walthamstow.

Sent from my LG-K350 using Tapatalk
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,942
Location
Fenny Stratford
To use the modern vernacular, I am quite surprised at the number of "Snowflakes" on this forum. I have never felt unsafe in London or any other large city.

You might if you knew the bridge in question! after dark it looks isolated, situated in a less than salubrious neighbour hood, poorly lit and ideal for nefarious activities. Why expose yourself to risk
 

Statto

Established Member
Joined
8 Feb 2011
Messages
4,104
Location
At home or at the pub
I've never travelled around London post midnight due to normally needing to be up early the next day but I wouldn't decide against it purely on safety grounds as I've always felt safe in London, even late on.

The Chingford line from Liverpool Street has a last departure at 0103 (arriving Chingford 0129) and of course you'll have connections onto the night tube at Walthamstow.

Sent from my LG-K350 using Tapatalk

I've been on a few night buses all night & felt safe, even at East Croydon where i changed from N159 as it was then, to N68

Night Tube is all very well, but it doesn't operate Monday Morning to Friday Morning, plenty of Night Buses from Walthamstow though main ones being N26-N38 & N73, N26 also goes to Chingford Station every 20 minutes in the week, 12 minutes at weekends

I can't believe how extensive the night bus network is now, given 20 years or so ago there was only a few routes & most of them served Trafalgar Square.
 

Mikey C

Established Member
Joined
11 Feb 2013
Messages
8,278
To use the modern vernacular, I am quite surprised at the number of "Snowflakes" on this forum. I have never felt unsafe in London or any other large city.

I think there's a big difference between hanging around busy and vibrant town centres and hanging around poorly lit railway bridges, well away from houses etc
 
Joined
5 Jan 2014
Messages
570
You might if you knew the bridge in question! after dark it looks isolated, situated in a less than salubrious neighbour hood, poorly lit and ideal for nefarious activities. Why expose yourself to risk

I have been through Willesden Junction late at night on an Overground train en route to Richmond, and have also alighted there on other occasions. I must admit is is a bit of a Rabbit Warren with all the connections between high and low level and the Bakerloo.

To be fair one of the times I had to change there late at night was when a train I was on had to be cancelled due to a stone breaking the driver's windscreen.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top