• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

24 Hour Routes In 10 Years Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Statto

Established Member
Joined
8 Feb 2011
Messages
4,104
Location
At home or at the pub
Engineering works make 24/7 running difficult. Although i do think there could be more late night trains, especially on Inter City routes, it's daft the last Inter City trains on Saturdays depart around 8-9pm. I also think Merseyrail could run an extra hour especially on Friday/Saturday nghts
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,763
Location
Yorkshire
Engineering works make 24/7 running difficult. Although i do think there could be more late night trains, especially on Inter City routes, it's daft the last Inter City trains on Saturdays depart around 8-9pm. I also think Merseyrail could run an extra hour especially on Friday/Saturday nghts

And indeed things like 2040 for the last train from Leeds - London Monday to Friday (so over 8 hours between end and start of service) when there's trains from York running over much the same track 2 hours later.

I think a lot of areas would benefit from later trains, especially on Friday and Saturday nights - I know my 2318 (last) train from Leeds is used throughout the week but on Fridays and Saturdays can be full to the point of people having trouble getting on the train - presumably anything later is likely to attract some people.

West Yorkshire's Metro has been very good over its life at pressing for new stations and lines and more frequent services but unfortuantely there's been little improvement in hours of operation.
 

Drsatan

Established Member
Joined
24 Aug 2009
Messages
1,887
Location
Land of the Sprinters
I think that there's scope for running trains past midnight on Mondays to Thursdays as well since people will often go to cinema, theatre, or even go clubbing (from what I've noticed it's only students who go clubbing on a weekday though!), and shift-workers, like people working in supermarkets, restaurants and in bars will need to return home too. Without a car, getting home after finishing work after the last train or bus has left can be very difficult if your place of work is not within walking distance of your home.

For instance, there should definitely be later services on the Cross City Line - I think at the moment the last service from Birmingham New Street to Litchfield is at about 23:15. Similarly, the last service from Southampton to Salisbury is at 23:38 Monday to Saturday - too early if you're seeing a show or going to a gig.

I also agree with SS4's idea that there should be more sleeper services, although I'd suggest couchette coaches should be used since they would be more affordable to leisure travellers. It would be fantastic if there was a sleeper service on the SW-NE/NW axis, or even a sleeper service from Bournemouth to destinations beyond Birmingham, but since most of the Mk3 sleepers have been scrapped or given to preserved railways it would be difficult to start such services. Converting a Mk2 or a Mk3 to a couchette coach should be easy, and there are surplus Mk3s courtesy of the collapse of Cargo-D, but unless the franchising system is reformed I can't imagine any TOC willing to take the risk, especially as running a sleeper service would have higher capital costs.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top