• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

24/9/13 2010 Glasgow Central to Crewe

Status
Not open for further replies.

harz99

Member
Joined
14 Jul 2009
Messages
913
Yesterday evening OHL down north of Carstairs on the southbound, resulted in this service eventually leaving GLC just before 2100 and being diverted via Kilmarnock and Dumfries - does anyone know what time it arrived at Carlisle please?

I eventually left GLC at 2212 in a taxi after the promised coach for Carstairs/Lockerbie failed to appear (hardly surprising when the only company able to supply a vehicle was in Edinburgh). Arrived LOC 2325, some 140 minutes late.:-x

Also does anyone know what happened to the passengers off the 1956 Edinburgh to Carstairs FTPE service which connects into the 2010 ex GLC for southbound passengers?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Swanny200

Member
Joined
18 Sep 2010
Messages
680
Yesterday evening OHL down north of Carstairs on the southbound, resulted in this service eventually leaving GLC just before 2100 and being diverted via Kilmarnock and Dumfries - does anyone know what time it arrived at Carlisle please?

I eventually left GLC at 2212 in a taxi after the promised coach for Carstairs/Lockerbie failed to appear (hardly surprising when the only company able to supply a vehicle was in Edinburgh). Arrived LOC 2325, some 140 minutes late.:-x

Also does anyone know what happened to the passengers off the 1956 Edinburgh to Carstairs FTPE service which connects into the 2010 ex GLC for southbound passengers?


I worked until today for the company that supplied the Taxi, there was another car last night that went all the way to Wigan, via Carlisle .
 

Swanny200

Member
Joined
18 Sep 2010
Messages
680
The second car was from Carstairs presumably?

Sent from Edinburgh to Carstairs for stops to Carlisle, Lancaster and Wigan, as far as I am aware the taxi company deals with the whole of the TPE replacement work this side of the border.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,463
Location
Yorkshire
Carstairs to Wigan? That's a hell of a taxi journey, I wonder what the cost was?

I've done the ECML from London to Newcastle by taxi, in two goes, one of which was London to York (via Sherburn and continuing to Ashton-under-Lyne!), I don't know if the bill was pre-arranged or if the meter was being charged, but the meter was on and read something like £760 by Ashton. Bizarrely the taxi was a black cab, which had to constantly stop for fuel, and we said we would have been happy with overnight accommodation instead, and they did not put us on a train to Peterborough or Derby (there were trains to those places at that time, it was only 20:15 on a Saturday, though it took so long to arrange it was at least 2130 by the time we departed!). I think they could have got the bill down to a quarter of the cost.
 

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Joined
28 Dec 2010
Messages
2,087
Location
Ellesmere port
Carstairs to Wigan? That's a hell of a taxi journey, I wonder what the cost was?

I've done the ECML from London to Newcastle by taxi, in two goes, one of which was London to York (via Sherburn and continuing to Ashton-under-Lyne!), I don't know if the bill was pre-arranged or if the meter was being charged, but the meter was on and read something like £760 by Ashton. Bizarrely the taxi was a black cab, which had to constantly stop for fuel, and we said we would have been happy with overnight accommodation instead, and they did not put us on a train to Peterborough or Derby (there were trains to those places at that time, it was only 20:15 on a Saturday, though it took so long to arrange it was at least 2130 by the time we departed!). I think they could have got the bill down to a quarter of the cost.

Reminds me of an episode of Airline I watched the other day where a woman was offered a taxi from Luton Airport to Inverness after her flight was cancelled :roll:
 

harz99

Member
Joined
14 Jul 2009
Messages
913
Sent from Edinburgh to Carstairs for stops to Carlisle, Lancaster and Wigan, as far as I am aware the taxi company deals with the whole of the TPE replacement work this side of the border.

So Virgin left TPE to arrange a taxi from Carstairs - I'm not surprised as their staff at Glasgow were denying all knowledge of any passengers intending to connect onto the 2010 service at Carstairs - however the TPE service terminates at Carstairs so it should not be for TPE to arrange taxi's as they have fulfilled their role.

Carstairs to Wigan? That's a hell of a taxi journey, I wonder what the cost was?

Dunno about that one but the meter had almost £130 on it when we alighted at Lockerbie, and I assume the cab company gets paid for the return as well, so maybe twice that for us.
 

Mr Spock

Member
Joined
14 Jan 2008
Messages
608
The last time I had a taxi (Derby-Rugby) the driver said that they only get paid for one way.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top