What do you mean by the "destruction" of Israel and do you think it is likely to happen?
You really need to ask the terrorist loons who rant and rave about it!
Do you accept that Israel illegally occupies lands to which they have no right to occupy?
Yes, that’s obviously part of the problem.
Do you agree that an actual state should be held to a higher standard than a terrorist group?
Yes, see my previous response to
@AlterEgo.
Don't you think that, while Israel continue to oppress people, illegally occupy lands and carry out barbaric acts, there will always be those who resist?
Yes, however I don’t deem the mass rape and murder of civilians as resistance.
If our country was illegally occupied, do you think the entire population would just accept it? Do you not think some people would resort to extreme acts to end the illegal occupation of our lands?
Or is it different because it's not happening to us?
See above; if that’s the kind of “resistance” you mean, we’d be no better than the occupiers.
Presumably you’ve seen my numerous posts in the Ukraine thread, so I think you know full well that “because it’s not happening to us” has nothing to do with it. You’re also ignoring the fact that I’ve made my thoughts on Netanyahu, and a two state solution, quite clear.
It would not, actually. It would be appalling.
It would save civilian lives though surely? You’ve accused me of hand wringing (below) but don’t want a conventional military confrontation as people would get hurt?
Clearly a peaceful solution is preferable, but we’re dealing with nutters (on both sides to an extent) here.
I don't think they have no right to fight back and have not said or implied this. What I have said is that Israel has no divine right to exist, the same as any other state, and especially so given it's a racist ethnostate practising apartheid. South Africa and Rhodesia had no right to exist, but that doesn't mean they didn't have a right - or expectation - to retaliate when attacked. It just so happens that it was right in both cases that those states changed into something else.
Statements such as the below heavily imply a desire to see Israel cease to exist:
I wish for Israel to be dismantled peacefully, although this possibility seems remote now.
Apologies if I’ve misunderstood…
I agree with you when it comes to Israel’s “divine right” however. I’ve visited numerous Jewish museums and I’ve always left feeling uneasy with this particular aspect.
Israel's genocide of Palestinians has a very clear place on which a decent person should land. It is not nearly as morally complex as people pretend it is.
I agree; it’s actually quite easy to condemn Israel’s genocidal actions. We (or certainly I) can’t ignore the barbaric actions of the terrorist groups and their contribution to the situation, however.
So, to be clear, you would be more outraged at the members of the IRA than the British Army, regarding an event like Bloody Sunday? Where the army and state committed an atrocity and was wantonly reckless from the outset - at minimum - at the prospect of the murder of innocent civilians. Like, if that happened, in 1972 - your focus would be on how the terrorists really were the ones at fault for that particular atrocity, for sort of creating the playing field, in your view? That uses the same warped logic as the IRA's vile statement after Warrington, after they bombed two children, where the blame in their view was focused on the British state's ongoing participation in the Troubles.
You’re again using a non-analogous comparison.
The moral equivocation is that you have said you are less concerned about the murder of innocent people as collateral damage, yet also posit yourself as being concerned for everyone, by both-sidesing the argument. There is a very clear imbalance of power between a Western-backed colonial force which has ethnically cleansed Palestinians and Arabs, and which has to - by its own nature - use violence to exist and support itself, and which is engaging in genocide...and organised terror groups.
I’m not bothsidesing at all, not in the sense you’re implying. I don’t however share your simplistic view of the conflict.
That is not an extreme view. States do not have a divine right to exist; this is a fool's platitude. If Israel did have that right, there would be no conflict. Israel exists because it uses force. It was founded using terrorism and has consistently used it internationally to justify its existence. Israel does not have a right to be there. Neither, in fact, does Palestine.
See above; as you’ve cleared this up by adding the word “divine” I agree.
Rhodesia, apartheid South Africa, Kurdistan, the United Kingdom...none of those states have a right to exist in any meaningful sense of the word. People talk about a "right to exist" as a way of explaining away Israel's extreme propensity for violence and state-sponsored terrorism.
We’ve discussed this previously, however Israel’s raison d'etre changed post-1945. It evolved from being a Zionist project based on the aforementioned divine right, to a necessity (or certainly a legitimate ambition).
Indeed they are not equivalent - one is worse than the other. Which one do you think is worse?
It really depends. Blowing up terrorists isn’t particularly objectionable in principle however, whereas blowing up civilians certainly is.
You see, that was what the IRA used to do - embed themselves into the civilian population - yet almost no British person would have found it acceptable for the state to blow up hundreds of IRA volunteers while also maiming and killing innocent Irish and British children. Notably, we as a country do not use the same standard when we think about countries in the Middle East. There is a reason for this.
Indeed. You’re actually coming close to acknowledging that the two situations aren’t remotely analogous here!
So what does this mean in practice, to you? You could have said this sort of hand-wringing thing about the IRA. "Well the state is hamstring because of the way they operate". Yes, the state is. And so what indeed? What would you do differently?
Ignoring the IRA (non) analogy, it’s a matter of degree really.
Degrading Hamas’s capability in order to prevent another massacre of Israeli civilians, whilst taking reasonable steps to minimise collateral damage, is a legitimate military objective. Attempting to mop up the dregs of Hamas whilst committing genocidal acts (intentionally or otherwise) is not.
What would I do differently? At this point I’d look for a non-violent solution as we’re well past the legitimate military objective stage.