I am afraid this nightmare is not gong to go away anytime soon. Watch out for the parallels from history. Trump only has to make himself look like a victim. The burning of the Reich-stag in Berlin was the trigger for Hitlers self righteous use of force and gave him the authority he needed to take over. It is perfectly obvious that Trump is comfortable with the idea of dictatorship and he will steadily dismantle/undermine democracy, if he cannot be stopped, over the next decade or two. Nobody could stand up to Hitler as he dismantled democracy and so far the republicans are too scared, self interested or ignorant to nip it in the bud.
I think there is a big difference: In the US, there's a longstanding tradition and culture of democracy that has been steadily built up over 200 years. I'd argue that culture is precisely why Trump was never going to get his way in terms of staying in power once he'd lost the 2020 election, even though things looked pretty scary for a time afterwards. Judges - even ones that Trump had personally appointed - were, on the whole, never going to accept electoral challenges that obviously had no evidence behind them. Numerous Trump-supporting Republicans in various states from Pennsylvania to Georgia to Arizona made it clear that they were going to respect the votes that they had just supervised counting, no matter what Trump demanded. And the US military leaders have made it amply clear that their loyalty is to the constitution, not to Trump.
On the other hand, in Weimar Germany, there was no such tradition. Democracy had essentially been just imported to Germany after WW1 - up until then, Germany was ruled by what amounted to a fairly authoritarian dictatorship. That would have made it relatively easy for Hitler to dismantle democracy. (I'd argue that's also precisely why people like Putin in Russia and Chavez/Maduro in Venezuela have found it so easy to destroy democracy in their respective countries).
For that reason I wouldn't worry too much about the parallel - although I would certainly be concerned about the possibility of Trump winning another election - he's definitely caused a lot of damage to democracy in the US, and another term would allow him to do a lot more damage.